Wednesday, April 01, 2015         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 47 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Man, 18, who stabbed student, commits suicide at OCCC

By Gregg K. Kakesako

LAST UPDATED: 03:15 p.m. HST, May 01, 2013

An 18-year-old Waianae High School student who admitted stabbing another student during a fight on campus was found dead Monday in Oahu Community Correctional Center in what medical examiners say was a suicide.

The Honolulu Medical Examiner’s Office said Ikaika Andrade’s death was caused by asphyxia due to suicidal hanging.

Andrade was slated to be sentenced on May 8 by Circuit Judge Colette Garibaldi after pleading no contest to second-degree assault. He faced a maximum punishment of five years in jail.

Andrade was found by a social worker in an OCCC holding unit following a head count at 12:20 p.m. Monday, the Department of Public Safety reported. He was alone in the cell.

Adult corrections officers performed CPR on the inmate to try to get his heart started. Andrade was taken by paramedics to Queen’s Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 1:29 p.m.

Prison officials investigated the incident and ruled it a suicide. However, prison officials would not say how Andrade died.

Andrade was initially arrested on suspicion of second-degree attempted murder as well as third-degree criminal property damage for allegedly damaging a vehicle following a fight at Waianae High School Jan. 4. The attempted murder charge was downgraded to second-degree assault when he was charged. The criminal property damage charge was later dropped.

Andrade has been held in Oahu Community Correctional Center awaiting trial and sentencing, unable to post $25,000 bail.

Police said two male students began to argue over earphones at Waianae High School. The argument escalated as both men left the classroom and began to fight. 

During the fight Andrade allegedly stabbed the 19-year-old victim. School staff intervened until police arrived and were able to detain Andrade. The victim was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

He also was sentenced to 6 days confinement after being convicted of third-degree theft in September.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 47 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions

Breaking News