POSTED: 4:57 a.m. HST, May 14, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 4:58 a.m. HST, May 14, 2013
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan » A roadside bomb struck a U.S. convoy and killed four American troops in southern Afghanistan today, while a motorcycle bomb in a crowded village market in a neighboring province killed at least three people, officials said.
The blast that hit the American convoy took place in the Zhari district of Kandahar province, said NATO spokesman Col. Thomas Collins. Kandahar is the spiritual heartland of the Taliban, and one of the most volatile regions in Afghanistan. Several service members were also wounded, although the extent of their injuries was not immediately known.
The attack follows a truck bombing a day earlier on a NATO outpost in Helmand province that killed three Georgian soldiers. So far this year, 58 international service troops have been killed in Afghanistan, according to an Associated Press count. Of those, 44 are U.S. service members.
Earlier today, a bomb hidden in a parked motorcycle ripped through a packed market in the village of Safar in Helmand, according to Omer Zawak, the spokesman for the provincial governor. Three people were killed and seven were wounded in the blast, he said, warning that the toll could rise.
Four children were among the wounded, two critically, police spokesman Shah Mahmood Hashna said.
In the northern province of Kapisa, a suicide bomber rammed his vehicle into a U.S. Special Operation Forces convoy as it was returning to base after clearing land mines, according to NATO spokesman, Maj. Bryan Woods. He said there were no casualties in the attack.
However, Qais Qadri, spokesman for the Kapisa governor, said one civilian was killed.
Gannon reported from Kabul. Associated Press writers Amir Shah and Rahim Faiez in Kabul, and Mirwais Khan in Kandahar, Afghanistan, and Misha Dzhindzhikashvili from Tbilisi, Georgia contributed to this report.