Thursday, November 26, 2015         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 75 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

McCully man allegedly assaults man while out on bail

By Gregg K. Kakesako

LAST UPDATED: 4:12 p.m. HST, May 16, 2013

A 24-year-old McCully man accused of trying to set a man on fire at a McCully restaurant Saturday allegedly assaulted another man while out on bail Wednesday.

Jamal Morris, who listed an Alexander Street address, was arrested at 1:45 p.m. Wednesday two blocks away from where Saturday’s attack occurred, according to police. Police did not release details on the Wednesday attack.

The victim's mother said that her son offered to give the suspect a ride and, while the car was still running near King Street and University Avenue, the man attacked her son. She said her son wasn't able to move as he was trapped by his seat belt.

Morris, at the time of the latest alleged assault, had posted $2,000 bail. He was supposed be in District Court at 1:30 p.m. for his arraignment Wednesday to enter a plea on Saturday’s charge. He had been charged with second-degree terroristic threatening after he allegedly doused a 37-year-old man with a flammable fluid, police said.

Morris failed to show, his bail was revoked and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest.

No charges gave been filed in Wednesday’s attack and Morris was still in custody.

In a police affidavit filed in District Court this week, the victim told police he was playing drums at Da Spot restaurant on South King Street at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday when the suspect approached him and began pouring liquid on his head and body.

A witness told police that said: “I’m gonna get you on fire” as the suspect tried to light the liquid with a lighter.

Another witness said she heard Morris say: “I got you; I’m going to kill you,” according to the court document.

A third witness told police Morris also said: “You did magic on me,” according to the court document.

A bottle of Grey Goose vodka was recovered at the scene with a quarter of its contents remaining along with a yellow lighter.

The victim did not require treatment by city paramedics.

The victim told police that he didn't know why the suspect approached him. No motive was given for the attack.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 75 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions