POSTED: 07:57 a.m. HST, May 22, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 07:57 a.m. HST, May 22, 2013
The traditional Fourth of July fireworks show at Kauai’s Pacific Missile Range has become another victim of federal budget cuts, the Garden Island newspaper reported today.
Earlier this month, federal budget cuts forced Pearl Harbor to cancel its July 4 fireworks show and the Marine Corps to cancel its annual Bayfest event at Kaneohe Bay.
Capt. Nicholas Mongillo, commanding officer of the Barking Sands missile test facility, said he hopes to reinstate the event next year.
In addition, the Kauai base’s July 3 observance at Barking Sands will not be open to the public, Mongillo said, since it will be a picnic-type family event for Department of Defense employees and families.
Navy Region Hawaii earlier this month said its observance this year will now be a daytime celebration ending at 5 p.m., featuring the Pacific Fleet Band and the Air Force Band of the Pacific, plus other activities.
Marine Corps Base Hawaii said earlier this month that its summer festival was canceled this year because of automatic federal budget cuts and other fiscal constraints.