Quantcast

Saturday, October 25, 2014         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Plea hearing in 'abandoned' baby case delayed

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:45 p.m. HST, May 28, 2013


The case involving a 21-year-old Makiki woman, who allegedly lied to police about finding a newborn baby at Sandy Beach last month, has been continued until next month.

Keala Simeona was supposed to enter a plea this morning to a misdemeanor charge of filing a false police report.

However, Franklin Pacarro Jr., Simeona’s attorney, requested a continuance because of “pending Family Court matters.”

District Judge Leslie Hayashi granted Pacarro’s request and the hearing was postponed until June 27. Simeona was not in court this morning.

After the brief District Court hearing, Pacarro said he could not discuss the case because of a gag order issued by the Family Court. All Family Court proceedings are closed to the public and are confidential.

Simeona initially told police on April 28 that she discovered the baby near the water after she heard several people screaming. Simeona took the unclothed baby to Queen’s Medical Center where it was determined that the infant girl was born about two or three weeks premature and weighed about 8 pounds.

She was released after posting $250 bail. 

After further questioning, police determined she was the mother of the baby and she was arrested and charged on April 30 for false reporting, a misdemeanor which carries a maximum jail term of one year.

Initially, police had opened cases of abandonment and endangerment of a minor — both felony offenses.

Family Court will decide whether the baby will be returned to her family or if parental rights will be terminated. The Department of Human Services has ordered DNA testing.






 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs