Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 22 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Marine suspected in killing of Oregon woman released

By Gregg K. Kakesako

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 11:52 a.m. HST, Jun 07, 2013


Police today released Marine Master Sgt. Nathaniel L. Cosby, suspected of killing an Oregon woman last month and dumping her body near Yokohama Bay, pending further investigation.

Cosby, 38, was arrested Wednesday at the Honolulu Airport on suspicion of murder in the death of Ivanice "Ivy" Harris of Portland, Ore.

Police wouldn’t say whether he was returning to Iwakuni Marine Corps Air Station in Japan where he is assigned to Marine Wing Support Squadron-171 which is a part of the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing.

Any charges would be pending the results of tests, the prosecutor's office said.

The medical examiner's office is awaiting test results before determining a cause of death.

The Marine Corps said Cosby is an explosive ordnance disposal specialist was in Hawaii on temporary duty.

Since the case is still under investigation Cosby, who is from Jefferson, Ala., is free to leave Hawaii and return to Japan.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is assisting in the investigation, police said.

Lt. Col. David Griesmer, a spokesman for III Marine Expeditionary Force on Okinawa, said in an email that the Marine Corps takes all allegations of misconduct seriously and is fully cooperating with the investigation.

A woman who identified herself as Cosby's wife declined to comment. "I know my husband didn't do this," she said.

Griesmer said Cosby enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1998.

Harris was last seen outside a Waikiki bar at 2:15 a.m. on May 16, police said. Her body was found four days later on the Leeward Coast.

Authorities have not determined the cause of death, as the medical examiner's office is waiting for additional test results.

Harris was vacationing in Hawaii with her boyfriend and a friend to celebrate her 29th birthday. Friends said Harris worked as a prostitute. She was listed under an online escort service.

____

The Associated Press contributed to this story.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 22 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(22)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Surfer_Dude wrote:
Two days ago, everyone is going "great job HPD". Looks like they might have the wrong guy. I don't know what evidence they had to arrest him, but they obviously don't have enough to hold him. Arrested and charged with second degree murder......that's what the SA said two days ago.
on June 7,2013 | 10:01AM
kk808 wrote:
According to the news last night he had in his possession an item belonging to the victim. I think how he got it is the issue.
on June 7,2013 | 10:16AM
allie wrote:
HPD is a little lazy
on June 7,2013 | 10:45AM
foursun wrote:
little lazy like you? well, at least they're not extremely lolo like you, huh?
on June 7,2013 | 04:55PM
BRock wrote:
Just ignore Allie and her ingracious comments. She has an opinion (usually negative) about everything but consistently does not back her posts with facts. This "squaw" will shortly leave Hawaii and her mean spirited postings will go with her. That is my hope.
on June 7,2013 | 05:50PM
kainalu wrote:
He admits to having the girl in his room, but says he didn't kill her. HPD however, has video of him struggling to drag a large suitcase out early the following morning. They're simply waiting on the test to come back on that suitcase, along with putting together the rest of the puzzle. They're not even looking for anymore witnesses, they're going to build a case with what they got.
on June 7,2013 | 06:04PM
jess wrote:
It's irksome that the SA keeps pointing out that this woman was a prostitute. Does it really matter what her job was? It's perfectly legal in Nevada and the constant reminder of her being a prostitute dehumanizes her and is I'm sure offensive to her loved ones.
on June 7,2013 | 10:16AM
aomohoa wrote:
The point is , it is a dangerous job. It's her friends that said it first. SA is just stating a fact. They are saying the suspect is a Marina. Should they not say that either?
on June 7,2013 | 11:09AM
daniwitz13 wrote:
You have no logic. What a persons says is irrelevant and hearsay as Proof. You would be the first one to say that the SA should check their facts first and not just take someone's word. The analogy of the Marine is an illogical choice to use. His status can easily be known with papers and enlistment and ID. To print that she is one versus what friends say she is, is NOT good reporting. Pity.
on June 7,2013 | 12:10PM
ellinaskyrt wrote:
I think it's sufficient that not only did friends say she was a prostitute, but that the SA found her listed on an online escort service site. That said, those who work in the sex industry absolutely do not deserve to be victimized just because of what they do for a living or as a consequence of what they do for a living. This woman's murderer should be punished.
on June 7,2013 | 12:39PM
aomohoa wrote:
Marine, sorry
on June 7,2013 | 12:35PM
kailua000 wrote:
It doesnt dehumanize her. It was her chosen profession. When an article keeps pointing out that someone worked for Hawaiian Electric or attends UH, its the same thing. Why should it be offensive to mention it to her loved ones, again, her chosen profession. Is it degrading to the Marines and the entire US Marine corps to point out every time a Marine is charged with an offense?
on June 7,2013 | 03:18PM
aomohoa wrote:
Thank you kailua000. I never once said she deserved it because she was a prostitute.
on June 7,2013 | 06:18PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I think we need to let HPD to do their job.
on June 7,2013 | 10:20AM
reedosan wrote:
The worlds oldest profession pays well,but has some hazards.
on June 7,2013 | 10:29AM
mikethenovice wrote:
So much for Semper Fi. Once a Marine, always a Marine.
on June 7,2013 | 10:59AM
mikethenovice wrote:
Thank You for you service anyway.
on June 7,2013 | 10:59AM
Skyler wrote:
Innocent until proven otherwise. What else could they do?
on June 7,2013 | 11:51AM
Bully wrote:
I hope HPD can do the job, all they do is give traffic tickets.
on June 7,2013 | 02:22PM
BRock wrote:
And you say it like its a ad thing!
on June 7,2013 | 05:51PM
sak wrote:
When mentioning her profession as a Hooker, it should also be stated that she traveled with her "PIMP" and not boyfriend?
on June 7,2013 | 05:07PM
aomohoa wrote:
Let's hope they don't let him leave the Island. Video surveillance saw him going into a Waikiki Hotel room with her, and saw just him hauling a very heavy suitcase back out. I am wondering if there will be DNA of the girl in that suitcase.
on June 7,2013 | 06:15PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News