POSTED: 8:13 a.m. HST, Jun 17, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 3:48 p.m. HST, Jun 17, 2013
The 18-year-old man, who was driving a pickup truck carrying 12 people that crashed into a concrete barrier near Makua Cave early Saturday morning, remains in custody unable to post $1,250 bail on four outstanding bench warrants.
The driver, who was arrested on suspicion of negligent homicide and first-degree accidental death, turned himself in to police at the main station on Beretania Street at 11:40 a.m. Saturday and was to be released pending investigation five hours later, but was unable to bail on the unrelated bench warrants, several of them for traffic violations. Charges are pending against the man, who did not list a local address when he was arrested.
Identification of one of the six passengers of the truck, whose body was found on the ground outside of the truck cab, after firefighters extinguished the truck fire is pending, the Medical Examiner’s office said today. Five people were riding in the bed of the truck.
The crash was reported at 12:04 a.m.
Paramedics took three girls, ages 13, 14, 15 and one boy, 16, to the hospital in serious condition.
Other occupants, including the driver, fled the scene, police said.
Police said witnesses reported that the truck was traveling very erratically toward Kaena Point State Park before the crash occurred.
Police said the truck was weaving and speeding as it traveled north on Farrington Highway. It went off the road, hit a concrete piling and burst into flames about a half-mile north of Makua Cave, police said.
Speed is believed to have been a factor.
The victim was the 33rd traffic fatality on Oahu this year, compared with 27 at the same time last year.