Quantcast

Wednesday, July 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 37 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Owner of pit bulls implicated in Ewa Beach attack is cited

By Gregg K. Kakesako

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 04:13 p.m. HST, Jun 19, 2013



The Hawaiian Humane Society has impounded two pit bulls after they allegedly attacked a woman and a smaller poi dog in Ewa Beach on Sunday.

Maria Glidden, Humane Society spokeswoman, said  the two dogs got loose and attacked the smaller poi dog.

Glidden said witnesses intervened to help the owner of the smaller dog who in turn was bitten by the pit bulls on both arms.

The victim was taken to the hospital and the injured dog described, as part Beagle, to the veterinarian for treatment, Glidden said.

Glidden said the Humane Society issued the owner of the pit bulls two dangerous dog citations — a petty misdemeanor.






More From The Star-Advertiser

Newswatch




 Print   Email   Comment | View 37 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(37)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
PokeStop wrote:
Big sue job coming up for the owner! Vicitm should take this clown to the cleaners for being irresponsible in handling of his dogs!
on June 19,2013 | 07:52AM
residenttaxpayer wrote:
When I go walking I always carry a large cannister of pepper spray just in case I encounter some aggressive 4 and 2 legged aggressors....
on June 19,2013 | 07:54AM
RingRing wrote:
When I go walking I carry a 5-iron (golf club) and if a dog gets to close to me I hurt it. . . Typically with my verbal warnings and posture, the dog will stay away but if it doesn't, like I said, I hurt it before it has a chance to hurt me. Keep your darn dogs restrained in my neighborhood because if they approach me they will likely end up with a broken spinal column. . . One quick wack is all it takes. . .
on June 19,2013 | 10:20AM
retire wrote:
Amen, You are ultimately responsible for your own safety, be prepared and situationally aware at all times.
on June 19,2013 | 10:30AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
5-iron. Nice!
on June 20,2013 | 06:46AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
When I go walking with my dog, I carry a 3-foot guava stick. Super solid and will make a dent in anything without breaking.
on June 20,2013 | 06:48AM
Yukio wrote:
Owners of strong, aggressive dogs need to take special precautions to ensure the dogs don't get out to attack passersby. It doesn't seem right that this is only a petty misdemeanor. What if neighbors hadn't come to intervene? It could have been much worse. If criminal law doesn't provide sufficient punishment/deterrent, sick the civil court system on the dog owner(s).
on June 19,2013 | 08:36AM
South76 wrote:
Since we have laws in the book that caterogize dog pets as part of the family, the victims should start getting a lawyer for compensation.
on June 19,2013 | 09:54AM
hikine wrote:
It's scary if you get attacked and no one is there you help you. A woman in California was attacked by a pack of dogs and she died. The owner was nowhere around and people couldn't help her either.
on June 19,2013 | 12:16PM
CriticalReader wrote:
How many pit bull attacks is it going to take before the breed is banned? This story is about one too many.
on June 19,2013 | 09:08AM
kualiki wrote:
its not the breed its the owners!
on June 19,2013 | 09:54AM
eoe wrote:
Pit bulls and mixes are approximately 4.4% of the dog population and account for 61% of attacks on humans. There is a reason you don't see story after story of beagle and lab attacks - only pit bulls.
on June 19,2013 | 04:04PM
cojef wrote:
Even "Judge Judy" especially dislikes pit bulls with vehemance.
on June 19,2013 | 10:01AM
Upperkula wrote:
Judge Judy is a joke. TV star ,thats why she act so tuff. ALL TV, in public she is a little tee cup poodle.
on June 20,2013 | 07:49AM
RingRing wrote:
Honestly, the breed does not need to be banned. It's the owners who are ignorant. If the owners let them run in my neighborhood and they approach me, the animal will be disabled before they have a chance to hurt me.
on June 19,2013 | 10:23AM
eoe wrote:
Pit bulls and mixes are approximately 4.4% of the dog population and account for 61% of attacks on humans. There is a reason you don't see story after story of beagle and lab attacks - only pit bulls.
on June 19,2013 | 04:04PM
8082062424 wrote:
It is not the breed it the owner .i have a american red nose pit a pom and a miniature pinscher.I also have a cat.the cat is the boss and all three dogs know it. my two small dog will bite with out a second though. they are fine with my room mate daughter but any other child they go for them. the pit will not. I have a elder lady who lives across the street from me and she not quite all there. One night she called the police and said some one had been shot in my front yard. We woke up to the small dogs going crazy and the cops pounding on the door.one of the first things came to my mind was the pit was in the yard so i told the officer and he told me she greeted him and the firemen at the gate and had been walking along with them as they searched the yard. A watch dog she is not. . the one thing she seem to hate is rats and the chickens who wander into the yard and the the mail lady. when im not home she inside the house not because i think she will go for some one . ive seen older kids on the street throw thing and tease other dogs on the street.
on June 19,2013 | 11:44AM
eoe wrote:
Pit bulls and mixes are approximately 4.4% of the dog population and account for 61% of attacks on humans. There is a reason you don't see story after story of beagle and lab attacks - only pit bulls.
on June 19,2013 | 04:04PM
Fred01 wrote:
It's not the breed. The local moke wannabe gangsters should be banned, not their poor abused dogs.
on June 19,2013 | 01:03PM
HAJAA1 wrote:
Nope. It's the breed. Period. No matter what you do to train, love, etc. The breed overrides that. You can't fool with Mother Nature.
on June 19,2013 | 02:01PM
entrkn wrote:
... and Hawaii's cracked system of justice fails us again.
on June 19,2013 | 10:05AM
bumbye wrote:
"The victim and the injured dog, described as part Beagle, were taken to the veterinarian and hospital for treatment, Glidden said." I sounds as though the person went to the vet and the dog went to the hospital.
on June 19,2013 | 10:15AM
Fred01 wrote:
"Poi dog"?
on June 19,2013 | 10:28AM
8082062424 wrote:
well fred you just proved you have not been here to long
on June 19,2013 | 11:16AM
Fred01 wrote:
Longer than you Poi dog.
on June 19,2013 | 11:56AM
8082062424 wrote:
i am sure you are old no doubt lol
on June 19,2013 | 12:29PM
Hapa_Haole_Boy wrote:
if you've been here longer than the poi dog, how is it you don't know what a poi dog is?
on June 19,2013 | 02:35PM
Fred01 wrote:
I thought you were the poi dog?
on June 19,2013 | 03:47PM
Goodmedivice wrote:
brah, serious i thought you lived here long time?
on June 19,2013 | 04:41PM
kennie1933 wrote:
Dog owners sometimes have a slanted view of their own pet. I go for runs in the evening where I live, and there is a woman who "walks" her two huge dogs with no leash. The first time I encountered them, one of the dogs rushed up to me growling and showing its teeth. So, I froze and got prepared to kick it. She ran up calling the dog who continued to snarl at me. When she caught up to us, she says, "Oh, don't worry, he doesn't bite!" Are you kidding me? So the next time I went running after that, I carried a bat. I saw them again and the same dog started growling, so I held up the bat. The woman says, "That's not really necessary....!" Of course, to the owner, the dog is always "nice."
on June 19,2013 | 12:39PM
Hapa_Haole_Boy wrote:
Pit Bulls are the only dog breed that can turn on its owner. They should be categorically banned. There are domesticated animals and wild animals, with a line between them-- pit bulls are on the other side of the line on the wild side.
on June 19,2013 | 12:56PM
8082062424 wrote:
so not true. any dog can turn on it owner. and most times it because the dog is abused
on June 19,2013 | 01:42PM
HAJAA1 wrote:
You're wrong. You wish you were right, but you are not. Ask any zoo expert, dog expert, scientist. The breed overrides all the training, love, you give them. It is natural instincts you are dealing with. Ban them now. The mokes who raise them just double the issue.
on June 19,2013 | 02:03PM
8082062424 wrote:
check out dog whisper some time. and i own one along with two small dogs and a cat. and my small dog will go for folks my pit will not
on June 19,2013 | 03:06PM
eoe wrote:
Pit bulls and mixes are approximately 4.4% of the dog population and account for 61% of attacks on humans. There is a reason you don't see story after story of beagle and lab attacks - only pit bulls.
on June 19,2013 | 04:05PM
juscasting wrote:
I was attacked the other day while walking my Rotti by a loose mixed Jack Russel/Chihuahua! He or she charged and barked several times, but never bite until the owner came out and took him inside their garage. The whole street was watching, probably waiting for my Rotti to bite off his head, but he just stratched the pavement like a bull and growled. Too funny!
on June 19,2013 | 02:29PM
8082062424 wrote:
big dogs are judged unfair because of there size
on June 19,2013 | 03:08PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Amusing. But you'll have to do better than that...
on June 20,2013 | 06:02AM
Maunawiliboy wrote:
People have to be held accountable for their animals. Prosecute to the max.
on June 19,2013 | 08:12PM
sailfish1 wrote:
The owner got dangerous dog citations - petty misdemeanors". That is why some of these dog owners don't care about their dogs biting people. They need to make the penalty more severe - more like a felony with a big fine and possible jail time.
on June 20,2013 | 02:19AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News