Quantcast
  

Tuesday, April 22, 2014         

BREAKING NEWS


 Print   Email   Comment | View 239 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Lawyers give conflicting accounts of fatal Waikiki shooting

By Ken Kobayashi & Sarah Zoellick

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 08:03 p.m. HST, Jul 17, 2013


A Circuit Court jury heard two widely conflicting accounts this morning about who instigated the deadly confrontation that resulted in State Department special agent Christopher Deedy fatally shooting a 23-year-old Kailua man at a McDonald’s restaurant in Waikiki early Nov. 20, 2011.

City Deputy Prosecutor Janice Futa told the jurors she will be asking them to convict Deedy of second-degree murder, while Deedy’s lawyer Brook Hart said Deedy acted in self defense and should be acquitted of shooting Kollin Elderts who attacked him and tried to grab the agent’s gun.

In her opening remarks, Futa told the jurors that Deedy was driven by “alcohol, inexperience, and the unmitigated power of a gun” when he shot Elderts.

She said in the moments leading to the altercation, Deedy told Elderts: “Acting like that is going to get you shot,” “do you want to get shot,” and “I’m going to shoot you.”

Elderts was killed by a shot to the chest.

He is also charged with a firearm violation of using a gun to commit a felony.

Hart told the jury that Elderts attacked Deedy, drove him into the back corner of the restaurant, grabbed Deedy’s gun, mounted him, and started beating him in the face before Deedy fatally shot him.

“Agent Deedy acted responsibly in self defense as a federal agent when he did what he did,” Hart said. “And the evidence will show that he used a number of measured steps to try to sway Mr. Elderts” from the violent assault.

Hart told the jury that Deedy had been drinking beer earlier, but was not under the influence of alcohol during the altercation.

Deedy, 29, of Arlington, Va., was in Honolulu to help provide security for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference.

Deedy has been free on $250,000 bond and permitted to return to work at the State Department.   He has returned for his jury trial.

The trial in Circuit Judge Karen Ahn’s courtroom is expected to last one to two months.

If convicted of second-degree murder, Deedy faces a mandatory life term with parole.  The firearm charge carries a maximum 20-year prison term.

The jury will likely also have the option of rejecting a murder conviction and convicting Deedy on a lesser charge of manslaughter, which carries a maximum 20-year term.

The shooting occurred just before the start of the APEC summit and generated massive publicity with national and international media here for the conference.

A half dozen protestors lined Punchbowl Street this morning near the front of the Circuit Court building holding signs stating “Justice for Kollin Elderts."

Liz Rees, who said she represents protest group “World Can’t Wait,” likened today’s court session to the murder trial of Trayvon Martin in Miami.

Rees said “it’s really important to make the connection. We demand justice for Trayvon Martin and Kollin Elderts.”

“They are both victims of a racist system.”

There also was a line in front of Ahn’s third floor courtroom before the 9 a.m. opening session with the clerk telling the crowd that everyone would not get seated.

———

Gregg K. Kakesako contributed to this report.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 239 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(239)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
allie wrote:
I think a manslaughter charge is viable but I guess we need to find out what the total facts are. In any case, Deedy should never have been carrying a gun while drinking. He is incompetent as a so-called "security" expert. What a tragedy. The so-called conference was a total joke and should never have happened anyway.
on July 8,2013 | 08:10AM
GONEGOLFIN wrote:
Allie, first you begin by saying that "we need to find out what the total facts are" and then you go on describing his incompetance. Are you just a fliberty-gibet/ Do you ever think about what you write before you write it?
on July 8,2013 | 09:17AM
allie wrote:
He was inept. No legitimate security agent would have been in a bar with a gun hon. That is a known fact.
on July 8,2013 | 10:02AM
Mythman wrote:
Allie thinks the state department agent is in the same "security" category as the bums who work in Waikiki, the rent a cops.......
on July 8,2013 | 10:33AM
bigisle wrote:
"Correct-u-mundo!"....yeah, let's leave our Federal 'piece' with the front desk lobby.....
on July 8,2013 | 11:13AM
allie wrote:
yup
on July 8,2013 | 12:52PM
silvangold wrote:
allie - hon - you saying 'yup' to the security category or to leave gun with front desk lobby? where is the lobby in the Waikiki McDonalds? didn't know there was one...oh. cuz it's Waikiki?
on July 8,2013 | 01:08PM
loveneverfails wrote:
allie: you need to find yourself a hobby. every time I open this newspaper, you are in it with your comments. take a break for a while.
on July 8,2013 | 04:24PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
You need mental evaluation and treatment. Your comments are amusing though.
on July 8,2013 | 06:15PM
aomohoa wrote:
He should not have been drinking but are these guys suppose to carry their gun 24/7? If so he should be at least in trouble for drinking and carrying a gun. The rest the jury will decide.
on July 8,2013 | 08:57PM
Nevadan wrote:
(1) The security agent was off-duty. He has no business carrying a gun. (2) He knew he was going to drink. Therefore he should have left his gun at home.
on July 8,2013 | 12:46PM
pcman wrote:
IRT Nevadan on Deedy. Agree. Deedy was off-duty. Just like military personnel. No reason to carry weapon off duty.
on July 8,2013 | 02:06PM
Nevadan wrote:
Regardless of the outcome of the Deedy trial, one fact is indisputable: Elderts was killed by a State Department bullet. Why? Elderts did not deserve that bullet. A law suit? It may accentuate the points raised by KeithHaugen. If nothing else, the State Department cannot ignore this case.
on July 8,2013 | 02:20PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Well the state department hasn't fired him, or even suspended him so that should tell you what they think about the merits of the prosecutor's case.
on July 8,2013 | 06:19PM
Nevadan wrote:
If the State Department is sued, they have to do something.
on July 8,2013 | 06:42PM
Nevadan wrote:
Attorney Hart made a stupid error by saying "“Agent Deedy acted responsibly in self defense as a federal agent when he did what he did.” No. He was not on duty as a federal agent when he fired that gun.
on July 8,2013 | 06:45PM
lynnh wrote:
Elderts deserved a bullet years before this happened. I had seen this idiot in action before in Kailua. He was a violent punk with no respect for anyone, especially someone he considered a haole. Multiple times I witnessed this loser pick on and attacked military personnel, or anyone else that he deemed he could get the better of at hangouts in Kailua. He was a waist of flesh and he got exactly what he deserved. And you should all be thankful he is off the streets permanently.
on July 9,2013 | 02:15AM
TheMajority wrote:
All law enforcement officers, county, state and federal, are permitted and even required to carry their firearms while "off-duty". In fact, all law enforcement officers, even while off-duty, are required to act when a crime is afoot. At the very least they are expected to be good witnesses for when on-duty officers arrive. Deedy is a law enforcement officer and has had law enforcement officer training. Elderts was foolhardy in his actions.
on July 8,2013 | 07:56PM
kolohepalu wrote:
So all law enforcement officers can act like punks and pull their weapon if someone gets the best of them? That don't seem right. . .
on July 8,2013 | 08:27PM
Mypualani wrote:
@ Majority so why did the Federal agent witness go on the stand and say that no agent should be consuming alcohol while carrying his weapon? this monkey was running around drinking with friends while armed! hello if this guy was trained why did he break that rule? the rule must be there for a reason, The agent was on call, the defense says Deedy had a few beers but was not under the influence when the altercation happened? so I guess those beers must have burned off magically really fast for the agent, please tell what crime was afoot in this case? so that a man is dead.
on July 9,2013 | 01:28AM
TheMajority wrote:
Many law enforcement agencies have an internal policy that prohibits (rather, discourages) their employees from carrying their firearm while intoxicated. Its a POLICY that makes sense. However, its not a law; and here you have the defense arguing that Deedy was not "intoxicated". I'd like to see how the prosecution can argue that the beer he drank made a difference in his actions than if he was sober. There were crimeS afoot that allowed Deedy to approach Elderts and subsequently draw his firearm. The crimes are called harassment and ASSAULT. These crimes occurred even after Deedy identified himself! Elderts chose to take on Deedy and even GRAB AT HIS GUN! Deedy was justified, however regrettable and preventable the end result was. Nuff said.
on July 10,2013 | 09:20AM
mcc wrote:
agreed!
on July 8,2013 | 03:00PM
lynnh wrote:
I wish you people would understand the rules of any law enforcement before you shoot your mouths off. "BY LAW"... enforcement agents, police, secret service, FBI, etc. "ARE REQUIRED" to carry their firearm on their person "AT ALL TIMES"....on or off duty. In fact, they are never off duty. They can be reprimanded if they do not carry it in some fashion. You may not see it, but it is there.
on July 9,2013 | 02:10AM
TheMajority wrote:
Many law enforcement agencies have an internal policy that prohibits (rather, discourages) their employees from carrying their firearm while intoxicated. Its a POLICY that makes sense. However, its not a law; and here you have the defense arguing that Deedy was not "intoxicated". I'd like to see how the prosecution can argue that the beer he drank made a difference in his actions than if he was sober. There were crimeS afoot that allowed Deedy to approach Elderts and subsequently draw his firearm. The crimes are called harassment and ASSAULT. These crimes occurred even after Deedy identified himself! Elderts chose to take on Deedy and even GRAB AT HIS GUN! Deedy was justified, however regrettable and preventable the end result was. Nuff said.
on July 10,2013 | 09:21AM
jess wrote:
Why manslaughter then? He thinks he should be held above the law because he's a federal agent. There's video of the shooting... we'll find out the facts soon enough.
on July 8,2013 | 03:10PM
lynnh wrote:
Then why has the prosecution worked so hard and failed to keep the video out of the courtroom?
on July 9,2013 | 02:21AM
ax2grine wrote:
no need to invent words to jump on people airing their opinion. go golfing or something. Flibbertigibbets are people, too.
on July 8,2013 | 11:22AM
GONEGOLFIN wrote:
Thanks, I'd never used the word before, and had no idea how to begin to spell it. Thank you.
on July 8,2013 | 06:25PM
Mythman wrote:
Your comments can sometimes be silly but there comments are arse e nine and demonstrate the profundity of your Ignorance - D-Minus.
on July 8,2013 | 10:32AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
@ Mythman, when you denigrate someone regarding their (not "there"), your spelling and word usage must be without error. There! I said it about "their comments".
on July 20,2013 | 06:35AM
Grimbold wrote:
I would rather shoot an attacker . Or would you rather have your front teeth knocked out? Who of you bloggers would not shoot an attacker and rather have his front teeth knocked out? According to the bad law you are required to let an attacker knock out your teeth and not shoot him, because your life is not in danger. It is only partially ruined for the rest of your life!
on July 8,2013 | 08:19AM
DA_HANDSOME_CHINAMAN wrote:
Deedy did the first assault by kicking Eldert in the chest. Eldert may have approached him, but maybe only to talk to Deedy in his face. Sooooo Deedy initiated the first "blood". HEY, don't interfere if you can't back up yourself in a fight, call the security like everyone else says. What right did he have in drawing his weapon in a family restaurant. NONE Deedy has no common sense as a trained agent.
on July 8,2013 | 08:34AM
GONEGOLFIN wrote:
Chinaman, did you witness this event? If not, I would suspect your mouth is beginning to ramble and your sense of reason may be a bit askewed because of the situation (local guy vs mainland guy). Oh, BTW, since when is McD's a "family restaurant"?
on July 8,2013 | 09:22AM
MexMe wrote:
Are you kidding? McDonald's has ALWAYS been a family restaurant! Who do you think eats those kids' meals? He shot THREE times and, thankfully, the first two shots missed any/all targets. I would prefer that Deedy lose a few teeth than shoot some innocent who just wanted a large order of fries! There seemed to be lots of people and staff in the restaurant at the time. Bring on the witness testimonies! Deedy could have made this more believable if he hadn't had anything to drink AT ALL! He should be unemployed at this point just for that! When soldiers deploy, they can't drink for the entire deployment (A YEAR!) and this guy couldn't go a week? Seems pretty reckless to me.
on July 11,2013 | 08:28AM
allie wrote:
agree
on July 8,2013 | 10:00AM
false wrote:
Were you there? The only information is from the media. Not saying Deedy is innocent but lets see what the facts say. You wouldn't you want that if you were on trial? But you're right why did he have to have a weapon on him? Let's hope we find out.
on July 8,2013 | 10:02AM
allie wrote:
agree but my point is that the way he conducted himself-we have those facts-indicate that he is reckless and unprofessional at best.
on July 8,2013 | 10:39AM
silvangold wrote:
how many times you gotta say the same darn thing allie? ova n ova n ova.....same ole words....
on July 8,2013 | 01:13PM
allie wrote:
some ask for helpful repitition
on July 8,2013 | 01:50PM
bigisle wrote:
why yes, Mr. Eldert was going to 'initiate' a 'calm', 'gentle' dialogue with the agent......like: "Aloha kind sir"....."could we engage in a civil discourse relating to the matter at hand?" who you kiddin'?
on July 8,2013 | 11:20AM
lee1957 wrote:
What? Boddah you?
on July 8,2013 | 05:13PM
bigisle wrote:
baloney.....the agent interceded on behalf of an affronted patron to render aid from the aggression of a belligerent over-partied boy .....the inebriated perp initiated the entire problem from the get-go.....fatal mistake....not to be repeated....
on July 8,2013 | 11:17AM
hapaguy wrote:
so says the defense attorney Brook Hart. According to the Prosecutors office, Deedy confronted Elderts while he was sitting down waiting for his food order. When Elderts stood up Deedy "thrust kicked" Elderts in the stomach. Elderts got up and punched Deedy in the face then Deedy pulled his gun and shot Elderts in cold blood. Deedy was the aggressor. Deedy started the confrontation. Deed threw the first punch. Elderts was defending himself. When Deedy gets punched in the face he cowardly pulls his gun out and shoots and kills Elderts.....
on July 8,2013 | 02:45PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
And you believe that?? Come on Hapa ... I can take one look at a picture of these 2 and tell you who started the fight. I've known many guys just like Eldert's, anyone who's grown up in Hawaii has as well. Why do you think the prosecutor is withholding the video?? If it supported his case, he would not have tried to get it excluded from evidence or have it sealed to the media.
on July 8,2013 | 06:33PM
hapaguy wrote:
Really? You can take one look at a picture of Elderts and Deedy and you can tell what happened? That has to be one of the most racist if not anti local bias I have ever heard. I would rather believe in our Prosecutors Office than a scumbag defense attorney. The Prosecutors Office believed enough in the evidence to bring charges against Deedy....that's good enough for me!
on July 8,2013 | 09:07PM
hapaguy wrote:
Really? You can look at a picture of Elderts and Deedy and you can tell who started it? That is either the most racist comment on here or its the most anti-local comment on here. I would rather believe in our Prosecutors office than the defense attorney's version of events. And regarding the video, don't you think that if the video showed Elderts caused the fight that there would be no charges filed against Deedy? HPD and the Prosecutors office almost always side with law enforcement. The evidence must be very damning against Deedy if they filed charges against him. Don't be naïve, the reason our Prosecutors office fought to keep the video from being released to the public is to blunt any appeal that the defense might use in the future. If the video was released and Deedy is convicted, the defense can claim that the jury was biased due to the release of the video.......
on July 8,2013 | 09:22PM
Mypualani wrote:
Thank you Hapaguy, it is refreshing to be able to read post such as yours.
on July 9,2013 | 01:44AM
lynnh wrote:
The man was a waist of flesh. I witnessed this loser more than once in Kailua being a violent #$% to anyone he thought he could get the better of. That is, any white person he thought her could get the better of. He got exactly what he deserved, though he deserved it a long time ago.
on July 9,2013 | 02:24AM
Mypualani wrote:
@ say what youthink. the prosecutor withheld the video from being made public before a trial could be set Because the defense would say that Deedy would not get a fair trial. The Video is coming out in the trial, the prosecutors didn't want the video to come out to soon before a jury could be found. The defense has been singing that song all the way up to today but they got denied, as per your magical powers of deduction I could say the same for Deedy but I won't go there because I knew neither men. And none of the did anything to me.
on July 9,2013 | 01:42AM
lynnh wrote:
The man was a waist of flesh. I witnessed this loser more than once in Kailua being a violent #$% to anyone he thought he could get the better of. That is, any white person he thought her could get the better of. He got exactly what he deserved, though he deserved it a long time ago.
on July 9,2013 | 02:23AM
oioman wrote:
Why the hell is McDonald's, a so-called family restaurant, open for business at this late hour anyway! What, to provide a service for all the hundreds of kids that stay up this late? Greedy. money hungry corporations!!! Ok...back to Mr. Deedy and the late Mr. Eldert.
on July 8,2013 | 11:29AM
allie wrote:
If they stay open late, they should hire security. It is wrong not to and greed prevails as they want to save money while selling bad, greasy food.
on July 8,2013 | 12:53PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Not a good word to say about anyone do you? You must be the most popular kid in class.
on July 8,2013 | 06:35PM
aomohoa wrote:
Allie keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself. I am more convinced everyday that you are really just a paid blogger to keep things stirred up. Many are convinced that you are not a student at UH and certainly not a Mandan maiden.
on July 8,2013 | 09:00PM
lynnh wrote:
The man was a waist of flesh. I witnessed this loser more than once in Kailua being a violent #$% to anyone he thought he could get the better of. That is, any white person he thought her could get the better of. He got exactly what he deserved, though he deserved it a long time ago.
on July 9,2013 | 02:22AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Grimbold, you can back off, walk away, and eat your pride. But I guess if your packing, you feel empowered. The truth is if Deedy was unarmed, he would slink off into the dark of Waikiki and go pout in his room.
on July 8,2013 | 09:00AM
IAmSane wrote:
Exactly. Many of us have gotten in arguments with someone and never had to resort to shooting anyone or ended up getting our "front teeth knocked out."
on July 8,2013 | 09:16AM
bigisle wrote:
few people (I hope) run around carrying firearms.......best to drop it or walk away!
on July 8,2013 | 11:23AM
allie wrote:
That is my point. He had no right to be carrying a gun while drinking and he had no police powers. Most local thugs are full of it and are terrified of any opposition. You just have to ignore them and walk away.
on July 8,2013 | 10:01AM
bigisle wrote:
Just like the FBI.....24/7......they ALWAYS have policing powers when a crime is at hand.....
on July 8,2013 | 11:24AM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
I think you should spend some time on the leeward coast and tell those local thugs what you really think! Terrified??? LOL
on July 8,2013 | 06:39PM
kaupani wrote:
No, you don't. Too many people turn a blind eye. There is no community in that.
on July 8,2013 | 09:29PM
Mythman wrote:
Did the agent "arrest" the offender when he first cautioned him he was breaking the law in verbally assaulting customers?
on July 8,2013 | 10:35AM
ax2grine wrote:
No but Deedy shot him in the chest...there he stopped.
on July 8,2013 | 11:10AM
lynnh wrote:
The man was a waist of flesh. I witnessed this loser more than once in Kailua being a violent #$% to anyone he thought he could get the better of. That is, any white person he thought her could get the better of. He got exactly what he deserved, though he deserved it a long time ago.
on July 9,2013 | 02:26AM
bigisle wrote:
why yes, "young man'....."you are about to be placed under arrest by me (despite your high level of inebriation)"....."Please stand down."....ask how that works with Honolulu HPD and inebriated/drugged-out perps......yeah, that works
on July 8,2013 | 11:27AM
Nevadan wrote:
Who is "he"? Who is "him"?
on July 8,2013 | 01:01PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
@ Nevadan, lynnh has repeated this particular post many many times. lynnh forgot to place a name in the post. Now, since it's so far away from the post he'd been responding to, lynnh's rant is confusing.
on July 20,2013 | 06:59AM
Mypualani wrote:
Good question?
on July 9,2013 | 01:46AM
Grimbold wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on July 8,2013 | 10:37AM
allie wrote:
agree..I deal with local thugs almost every night that I work. They are terrified of a bug landing on their chin so I merely laugh and continue to ignore them. That is what Deedy should have done.
on July 8,2013 | 10:41AM
JBS wrote:
Allie your posts are the best...to laugh at. You talk about local thugs and in the past have pretty much declared you're terrified of heading to the west side - say Waianae. All the while claiming to live in your perfect little world in Manoa valley. If you're so good at dealing with locals...while be scared of anything past Kapolei?
on July 8,2013 | 12:42PM
allie wrote:
my job is in Waikiki!
on July 8,2013 | 12:54PM
silvangold wrote:
go someplace else.
on July 8,2013 | 01:14PM
JBS wrote:
The point is not where your job is. You have repeatedly blasted the west side of Oahu. Pretty much saying it's dangerous to go beyond your cozy Manoa/town confines. Additionally painting broad strokes over something you call "locals" which comes across as borderline racist. You're a bad broken record. Hun.
on July 8,2013 | 03:39PM
silvangold wrote:
who are you to say what Deedy should have done......or better yet maybe you should have been the one facing an aggrevated man who had meth n pakalolo in his system - so the test results showed -- and saying "Oh kind sir, let me laugh at you, ignore you even tho I told you I had a gun" oops, just let me continue to ignore you.
on July 8,2013 | 01:17PM
allie wrote:
The customers are in Waikiki hon
on July 8,2013 | 01:51PM
aomohoa wrote:
Oh, so you call them "customers" I thought they were"Johns." LOL
on July 8,2013 | 09:05PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
So elderts now had meth in his system? Silvaagoof, where did that bs from?
on July 8,2013 | 03:43PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
meth, coke - what's the diff?
on July 8,2013 | 06:41PM
lynnh wrote:
Read the coroners report, or is reading beyond your talents?
on July 9,2013 | 02:28AM
aomohoa wrote:
You mean while your walking the streets??
on July 8,2013 | 09:03PM
bigisle wrote:
lose (please)
on July 8,2013 | 11:28AM
aomohoa wrote:
Alcohol brings out to much Testosterone.
on July 8,2013 | 09:02PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
If you're from Nanakuli then you know what type of guy Deedy was dealing with. He was warned, didn't listen and got killed. He may not have deserved to die but he most certainly brought it upon himself.
on July 8,2013 | 06:37PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
In Nanakuli, you don't need a gun to settle your difference. That's a cowboy thing.
on July 8,2013 | 08:16PM
MexMe wrote:
Thank you, NankuliBoss. The stereotypes are horrible on this thread! If someone were to believe the racist comments made here, there would be three or four shootings on the Westside each day and THERE ARE NOT!!!!! Hearing and reading racist comments such as these may have prompted Deedy to over-react and shoot Elderts. @lynnh, it's WASTE not waist!! All of us have a "waist of flesh" but you seem to have a waste of education. Stop posting this over and over and over again!!!!!
on July 11,2013 | 08:41AM
ax2grine wrote:
3 times in the chest? Come on, if he was an expert security consultant, he should have had some other recourse, hence the reference to his incompetence.
on July 8,2013 | 11:08AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
ax I think it was 3 shots, 2 missed, and 1 in the chest. Too tell you the truth, at less then 5 ft.away, a security expert would have had a 3 for 3 hit.
on July 8,2013 | 12:06PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
I heard Deedy fired a warning shot into the ceiling but Eldert's still wanted to fight. He had plenty of warning, too bad he didn't swallow his pride and walk away.
on July 8,2013 | 06:44PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
No such thing as a warning shot in law enforcement. Where did you get that bs from? John Wayne movie? Why didn't Deedy give his friend the gun and say" If anybody jumps in ,shoot um". I need to show this scum whose boss. Yeah right.
on July 8,2013 | 08:19PM
lynnh wrote:
It is clear you have no clue what you are talking about.
on July 9,2013 | 02:30AM
Mypualani wrote:
um it was not in the ceiling, who told you? Deedy?
on July 9,2013 | 01:56AM
lynnh wrote:
Not when they are being assaulted.
on July 9,2013 | 02:29AM
MexMe wrote:
Maybe he was drunk? Oh, wait! He bought drinks for everyone else and only had a beer....
on July 11,2013 | 08:42AM
hapaguy wrote:
The attacker was Deedy. According to the Prosecutors Office, Deedy approached Elderts while Elderts was sitting waiting for his food order. When Elderts stood up Deedy "thrust kicked" Elderts in the stomach. Elderts got up and punched Deedy in the face. That is when Deedy cowardly drew his gun and cold bloodedly shot Elderts dead. Deedy strated the confrontation. And Deedy threw the first punch. Deedy was the attacker not Elderts. Elderts was within his rights to defend himself.
on July 8,2013 | 02:50PM
lee1957 wrote:
The attacker was Elderts, according to the defense attorney. Lots of folks have a lot of emotion tied up in this, already knowing the facts. Half are going to be sorely disappointed.
on July 8,2013 | 05:16PM
hapaguy wrote:
Yeah and we can always trust what the defense attorney's are saying is true. I would place my trust and faith in our HPD and our Prosecuting Attorney's office.
on July 8,2013 | 05:44PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
I think you're going to be disappointed in the prosecutor once the video is played. Why do you think he tried to get it excluded from evidence?
on July 8,2013 | 06:45PM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Was Elderts by himself? If not, why didn't his friends stop him from bothering the other patrons? Or are his friends mokes too? Very curious as to what the video will show.
on July 8,2013 | 07:09PM
hapaguy wrote:
Don't be so naive. The Prosecutor is trying to exclude an appeal that the defense can use if the video is released the defense can appeal Deedy's conviction on the grounds that the release of the video prejudiced the jury prior to the trial. That's why they fought to keep it from being released to the general public. The judge knows it also. Don't you think that if the video showed Elderts was the aggressor and that Deedy acted in self defense that no charges would have been filed? HPD and the Prosecutors office almost always side with law enforcement.....
on July 8,2013 | 09:12PM
lynnh wrote:
You don't get it do you? It is all political pressure and racist pressure that this even went to trial. This is Hawaii's version of the Zimmerman trial.
on July 9,2013 | 02:34AM
lynnh wrote:
So the witnesses that collaborate Deedy's story were in the twilight zone?
on July 9,2013 | 02:31AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Grimbold, I have never placed myself in a position to have my teeth knocked out. It seems like a matter of one dumb drunk confronting another dumb drunk. Nothing good ever comes out of it.
on July 20,2013 | 06:41AM
palolo2001 wrote:
The video never lies.
on July 8,2013 | 08:22AM
allie wrote:
untrue..jury must still interpret what they see but cannot hear.
on July 8,2013 | 10:01AM
pakeheat wrote:
Say for example?
on July 8,2013 | 12:16PM
JBS wrote:
Those four years of freshman UH psych classes finally paying off for you huh?
on July 8,2013 | 03:40PM
allie wrote:
No need to be mean. And I never use the word "local" to refer to anything other than geography. Any race can be local. I have been to the west side several times and attended church in Waianae 3 times now. Very good people there. I volunteered at the transitional housing behind the intermediate school last January. More good people. Geesh...
on July 8,2013 | 04:21PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
classic flip flop
on July 8,2013 | 06:47PM
aomohoa wrote:
Oh I would love to see you at church on the Westside, when you said you would never want to go there. It's to dangerous. What you are bet at is lying.
on July 8,2013 | 09:08PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Your "good deeds" must've been done recently. I recall you not having a car and had never been out of town. And yes, you HAVE used the word "local" to describe the natives. And I remember one of your posts denigrating the entire town of Waipahu people. Short memory, huh.....hon?
on July 20,2013 | 07:10AM
DA_HANDSOME_CHINAMAN wrote:
All this time, I thought "self defense" is someone has a weapon and you need to defend yourself by using your weapon. Eldert didn't have a weapon and he was only 23 years old. Deedy is supposed to be "A WELL TRAINED AGENT IN THE ART OF SELF DEFENSE", and that's without a weapon. Hey, you know what I mean, karate, judo, etc. I think he thought he was 007 and license to kill
on July 8,2013 | 08:31AM
FrankieT wrote:
Well, if he was drunk or had been drinking a lot the well trained agent goes out the door. Interesting situation. Let the court system resolve this.
on July 8,2013 | 09:37AM
ax2grine wrote:
alcohol guns = bad things
on July 8,2013 | 11:25AM
allie wrote:
agree
on July 8,2013 | 12:55PM
false wrote:
Yes, let the court system decide.
on July 8,2013 | 11:41AM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Do we have one of those in Hawaii? A court system, I mean.
on July 8,2013 | 08:31PM
Mypualani wrote:
good question
on July 9,2013 | 01:59AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
@ Frankie T, the lawyers should directly ask Deedy's companions if and how much Deedy had to drink that night, right?
on July 20,2013 | 07:17AM
Morimoto wrote:
The different states often have different rules regarding self-defense. The jury will take everything into account, including the injuries suffered by Deedy, if any, who was the aggressor, how much of a threat Elderts posed, Deedy's training, etc.
on July 8,2013 | 10:56AM
Peacenik wrote:
Eldert was 23 high on drug and liquor and had a past history of aggressive behavior with the police. Could Deedy have walked away, perhaps. In my experience walking away does not stop drunk or aggressive types to stop taunting you, esp. with friends around they want to impress. At the Ala Moana SC bustop, I seen a kid, walked away from taunters, but got punch anyway, even with dozens of onlookers standing by. I, myself was taunted by a drunk at the bustop, moved away, but he kept trying to impress people with his bullying. Let face it, we have a Local stink-eye culture, in spite of the prevailing Aloha spirit, but we need to acknowledge there's both.
on July 8,2013 | 11:02AM
allie wrote:
aloha spirit? Really?
on July 8,2013 | 11:18AM
silvangold wrote:
well allie....why do you say "really" ? a few inches up you're the very one saying to be bigger than the other guy.....basically meaning to have aloha spirit........................and just walk away.......so I harrass you.....you walk away.....I follow you.......you gonna walk all the way home ... don't forget that I'm bigger than you.....louder than you......had some cocaine....had some pakalolo..........had a lot of alcohal..........you still going to smile and try to 'calm' him down??? You're the one full of something.
on July 8,2013 | 01:45PM
allie wrote:
I have a way of mollifying angry men though
on July 8,2013 | 03:10PM
AmbienDaze wrote:
while you're on your knees?
on July 8,2013 | 04:59PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
That always works!
on July 8,2013 | 06:49PM
aomohoa wrote:
Oh I bet you do. LOL And I bet they pay you for it.
on July 8,2013 | 09:09PM
ax2grine wrote:
...and the remedy is 3 in the chest?
on July 8,2013 | 12:11PM
blkdrgn wrote:
Just wanted to comment that there were 3 shots fired but only one hit him.
on July 8,2013 | 12:43PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Eldert's had at least 1 warning shot but still chose to fight. Last mistake he'll ever make.
on July 8,2013 | 06:51PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
saywhatyouthink, no such thing as a warning shot, ESPECIALLY in a densely populated Waikiki. Where'd you get that "warning shot" idea? Deedy miised twice, then fatally shot Elderts.
on July 20,2013 | 07:22AM
Anonymous wrote:
This has also happened to people I know.
on July 8,2013 | 04:15PM
false wrote:
People like Rees and the other protesters want justice but have made up their minds about what justice is ...... a conviction. That is what our Courts are for let the facts come our and let the jury of his peers make that decision.
on July 8,2013 | 09:59AM
allie wrote:
agree..and verdict that does not go their way will be viewed as racist.
on July 8,2013 | 12:55PM
Bully wrote:
We'll see how the trail goes but I dont see them making a case for self defense in Hawaii especially since Kohlers was unarmed.
on July 8,2013 | 10:14AM
Mythman wrote:
This trial could possibly not result in a fair trial. A fair trial is what is most frequently responsible for Justice because only the legal facts were weighed. What about the appeal in the 9th to change the venue to a federal venue? Is it still on?
on July 8,2013 | 10:37AM
Mypualani wrote:
Nope got SHOT down.
on July 9,2013 | 02:01AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Regardless of the facts or the outcome of this trial, I hope the feds learn something from the case and establish a policy and rule that prohibits ALL federal employees from carrying a weapon when they go out partying in the wee hours of the morning. This murder would not have occurred if the State Department employee had not been carrying a loaded gun. And there was no reason for him to be armed while out drinking, bar-hopping, etc.
on July 8,2013 | 10:25AM
Mythman wrote:
Keith is right if the round was chambered in the automatic. Otherwise, one has to pull the slide back to load a road - a very deliberate act. An automatic is not like a revolver where all you have to do is pull the trigger, most of the time. A loaded chamber and a safety might be something he picked up in the Bengazhi situation, where it was live fire 24/7?
on July 8,2013 | 10:39AM
Morimoto wrote:
Whether there is a round in the chamber or not is irrelevant. Deedy shouldn't have been carrying a gun if he was drinking, period. I don't even know what your point is. Are you saying it would have been better if Deedy's gun didn't have a round in the chamber, so that if he wanted to fire his gun he would have had to chamber a round before firing. Anyways your post makes no sense. BTW it's not an automatic handgun, it's a semi-automatic.
on July 8,2013 | 10:52AM
allie wrote:
again, Keith proves to be one of the few rational and consistently correct bloggers on here.
on July 8,2013 | 10:42AM
bigisle wrote:
yes, and Eldert was the epitome of sane, sound reason by going 'out-on-the-town' drunk/drugged and creating a ruckus with a patron in the restaurant t 'prove E' stay local'....too bad haole tourist......'us stay come first'
on July 8,2013 | 11:44AM
pakeheat wrote:
Yep, and you aren't of them, LOL.
on July 8,2013 | 12:20PM
allie wrote:
am too!
on July 8,2013 | 12:56PM
silvangold wrote:
N A H ................... YOU NOT
on July 8,2013 | 01:47PM
allie wrote:
am too!
on July 8,2013 | 03:10PM
JBS wrote:
To be good...or even considered normal... You would have to decrease your silly one or two word responses. AKA - agree, agreed, yup. Really deep things you add in the conversations.
on July 8,2013 | 03:43PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
I thought you were a squall Indian from ND here to suck our Hawaii taxpayer subsidized university dry of every grant and freebie you can get your hands on.
on July 8,2013 | 06:56PM
turbolink wrote:
Sure you are. Here's one of your Mensa-level comments: http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/163476826.html?id=163476826
on July 8,2013 | 02:10PM
allie wrote:
JBS...I like you. But remember...ummm...this is entertainment. Just go with it..everything is in fun.
on July 8,2013 | 04:23PM
turbolink wrote:
You're entertaining in your ineptitude, such as who you are addressing here, but your comments are too often obnoxious, dishonest, and disturbing...much like your entire coed facade.
on July 8,2013 | 04:55PM
turbolink wrote:
OBTW allie, there is nothing entertaining nor fun about one man dead and another on trial for murder, but now you've clearly defined the veracity and value of your comments.
on July 8,2013 | 04:59PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Your comments are entertaining to read however they're usually insulting and almost always off base.
on July 8,2013 | 06:59PM
aomohoa wrote:
He should stay and you should go!
on July 8,2013 | 09:10PM
ax2grine wrote:
word. no reason to cruise the town, packing. If he was on duty, he should have his gun, ready for action. If he's out on the town, not so much, no. Actually, not at all. Either you're working or not. As part of a security detail, he was supposed to be protecting someone. If he was actively doing that, that's one thing. If not, he was just wrong.
on July 8,2013 | 11:14AM
bigisle wrote:
'murder'? why, what an unbiased statemen....my guess is that Eldert and his troupe were going to drive home drunk as skunks......maybe causing a fatal DUI traffic accident.......would you call that attempted murder?....or murder if that occurred ....you are NO voice of reason
on July 8,2013 | 11:39AM
Nevadan wrote:
Aloha Keith. Exactly. The State Department employee was off-duty. He has no business carrying a gun.
on July 8,2013 | 01:07PM
Nevadan wrote:
Just a thought. Elderts was shot with a State Department gun... during off-duty hours. Should Elderts' family sue the State Department? They are not likely to win. But ..... it may put the State Department on the defensive in future situations ..... as proposed by KeithHaugen.
on July 8,2013 | 01:17PM
false wrote:
Elderts' family has to sue. Deedy and the State Department have to be held accountable for the safety of the public place, McDonalds'. Can't fire a weapon in a neighborhood, how is it justifiable in and kids' restaurant? What happened to "least restrictive" response?
on July 8,2013 | 05:04PM
Nevadan wrote:
Well put
on July 8,2013 | 06:55PM
Mypualani wrote:
Good point False, he's firing his gun in a small McDonalds with people all around, I shudder to think that some innocent bystander could have been shot as well, I mean he fired three shots and missed twice from what 5 feet away, and if he was firing warning shots why are they not in the ceiling instead of narrowly missing a another restaurant patron I thought this guy was trained?
on July 9,2013 | 03:01AM
GorillaSmith wrote:
Partially correct. While no agent should be armed while drinking - we're a long way from proving this incident was a murder. Once the hysterics and prosecutorial grandstanding have subsided, the issue will be whether this was manslaughter or self defense.
on July 8,2013 | 02:13PM
Mypualani wrote:
Keith there is policy and rules Deedy just decided he didn't have to follow this policy, at todays opening of the trial an Agent took the stand and went over the policy and rules for such behaviors you know like carrying an issued weapon and drinking Alcohol.
on July 9,2013 | 02:05AM
Mahalo wrote:
Fry him on the steak
on July 8,2013 | 10:46AM
bigisle wrote:
Eldert?.....nah, he's dust already.....no more Waikiki party/fights from him....
on July 8,2013 | 11:33AM
ax2grine wrote:
you've obviously been on the receiving end of some bullying. I think most people have had experience with it. yes, bullying is wrong. but try to take yourself out of this particular situation. even if Elderts was "bullying", its no reason to become judge, jury, and executioner, and to end his life. Everything he was to people, everything he would be to the world, good or bad, will never be. Everybody is somebody's somebody. And that's the end result of Deedy's actions. As a trained federal agent, he had the knowledge and ability to carry this out, and he took it upon himself to avail himself of this option. The question becomes, was this the only option. a bullet to the leg would've been better than 3 to the chest, imo. One in the leg says stop...3 to the chest says goodbye.
on July 8,2013 | 12:21PM
PTF wrote:
Where does it state that three bullets were fired to the chest of Kollin Elderts?
on July 8,2013 | 01:31PM
Morimoto wrote:
From all the news reports it sounds like both parties share blame. Both were probably under the influence of either drugs or alcohol. But really, unless you're on the jury and have access to all the information, it's really hard to tell what the outcome of the trial should be. If I had to take a guess I'd say the trial will end up in a manslaughter verdict for Deedy.
on July 8,2013 | 10:59AM
allie wrote:
agree
on July 8,2013 | 12:57PM
shooter wrote:
Great comments......but if you preach letting the facts come out first, shouldn't you let them? Typical of the protesters to jump on this as a racial thing........last I looked haoles are a minority in HI!
on July 8,2013 | 10:59AM
TigerEye wrote:
Everyone in Hawaii was a minority the last time you looked as well.
on July 8,2013 | 11:15AM
allie wrote:
yup...I don't think Deedy had race in mind but Elderts may have. That said, gun play should never have happened.
on July 8,2013 | 11:20AM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
You mean the innocent local guy was a racist? Nooooo ... say it ain't so.
on July 8,2013 | 07:20PM
IAmSane wrote:
So are you saying that Caucasians are incapable of racism in this state because they're minorities? For the record, I found World Can't Wait's comment ridiculous and I don't think this case has any racial whatever, but I'm trying to understand your comment.
on July 8,2013 | 12:20PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
@ shooter, Caucasians are THE MAJORITY in the 2010 Census. You are totally uninformed. Educate yourself before posting. Awkward for you.
on July 20,2013 | 07:48AM
LadyNinja wrote:
Trial has not played out. We should all wait and see what happens before pondering over what could have been or what is. I am truly sorry that someone died, but on the other hand, we should ask if the shooting was justified. That is the point that the State and Defense are trying to argue about. Deedy's entire career is on the line.
on July 8,2013 | 11:00AM
entrkn wrote:
If three punks that are coming at me obviously intending to harm me for no reason and I have a gun, I'm going to use it...
on July 8,2013 | 11:07AM
bigisle wrote:
especially if you intercede on another restaurant patron's behalf.......the perp' was totaled, got out-of-hand, and now is no mo'.....should send a message to all locals......be careful who you mess with!!!!
on July 8,2013 | 11:36AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
All locals? Huh? Bigisle you not local? You must be because only SA subscribers can blog. So what is it? Ohhh, I see. Your da kine mainlander. Oh, okay.
on July 8,2013 | 12:12PM
ax2grine wrote:
Good thing you're not a trained federal agent, then. Though it would be worse if you go as a civilian into a McDonalds packing. What we're originally told is it was one on one, unarmed vs. trained/armed. Now its 3? Next it will be every local in the restaurant? But lets say it was 3...would you shoot to kill or to warn? One in the leg or 3 to the chest?
on July 8,2013 | 12:29PM
hapaguy wrote:
According to the Prosecutors Office Deedy started the confrontation. He, Deedy, approached Elderts who was sitting down waiting for his food order. When Elderts stood up, Deedy "thrust kicked" Elderts in the stomach. Elderts got up and punched Deedy in the face knocking Deedy down. That's when Deedy cowardly pulled his gun and cold bloodedly shot and killed Elderts. Deedy was the aggressor. Deedy threw the first blow, and Deedy pulled the trigger. Elderts was within his rights to defend himself.....
on July 8,2013 | 02:56PM
ax2grine wrote:
Condolences to the family...must be hard to go thru this again. if this guy is a trained government agent assigned to a security detail, shouldn't he have some other recourse to defend himself from an unarmed civilian (ie FBI-taught self defense 101 vs. unarmed civilian)? At best, Deedy sucked at his job and exercised poor judgment; mid, he was intoxicated and discharged his weapon because his fogged brain couldn't determine the right course of action; and at worst, he is a murderer--I mean, couldn't he have made his point with ONE shot to the leg?! Pretty sure as a trained federal agent he wouldn't miss at a range of 10 ft.
on July 8,2013 | 11:23AM
silvangold wrote:
ok. first of all, if he had planted only one shot to the let, I can almost be sure the rest of his party (or gang) would have Deedy for breakfast......on a skewer............just think about it. the 'good' friends ain't gonna stand around if their buddy got shot (only) in the leg.
on July 8,2013 | 01:56PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
@silvangold, Elderts' only buddy was "wasted", so no help there to bust up Deedy.
on July 20,2013 | 07:44AM
lee1957 wrote:
You must watch too many movies. The only reason to discharge your weapon is a fear of death or imminent bodily harm, and then you shoot center mass.
on July 8,2013 | 05:24PM
bigisle wrote:
it's only stated that the agent "appeared intoxicated"......by whose judgement? .....the other intoxicated 'brothers"?
on July 8,2013 | 11:30AM
hapaguy wrote:
The Prosecutors Office said Deedy and his friend and former college roommate were drinking at First Friday, Moose McGillicuddy's, and Coconut Willy's. I am sure they got this info from witnesses (including Gutowski and his girlfriend Jessica West) and probably from receipts. Not hard to figure that one out. Also, witnesses said Deedy was slurring his words when he was arguing with Elderts....
on July 8,2013 | 03:15PM
lee1957 wrote:
Liz Rees gives me a chuckle. We need justice for Trayvon and Colin, so bring the guilty b*stards in front of the court and get it over with. Evidently "World Can't Wait" is a vigilante outfit.
on July 8,2013 | 11:36AM
allie wrote:
Liz is ok...just a little wild. She loves the drama..keeps her going. Gives her some purpose in life...
on July 8,2013 | 01:53PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
well that explains everything.
on July 8,2013 | 07:12PM
bigisle wrote:
print it....it's the truth
on July 8,2013 | 11:44AM
hon2255 wrote:
Elderts was acting like the bully punk in this case , he was shot in self defense. Get over the racism. This is about going for federal officer gun, bad mistake . You do not attack a law enforcement officer the consequences may be deadly.
on July 8,2013 | 12:00PM
Anonymous wrote:
Agree with hon2255!
on July 8,2013 | 01:09PM
hapaguy wrote:
Deedy was the aggressor and also threw the first blow. According to the Prosecutors Office, Deedy approached Elderts who was sitting down waiting for his food order. When Elderts stood up, Deedy "thrust kicked" Elderts in the stomach. Elderts got up and punched Deedy in the face. While Deedy was down he cowardly pulled his gun and cold bloodedly shot Elderts to death. Deedy approached Elderts, Deedy threw the first punch, Deedy pulled the trigger....Elderts was within his rights to defend himself.....
on July 8,2013 | 03:07PM
Ldub20_Owl316 wrote:
Of course the Prosecutors Office would say that. Why would you take their biased opinion of what happened?
on July 9,2013 | 12:20PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Unlike Zimmermans photo injuries, Deedy can be seen with blood shot eyes, possiblly from traumatic screaming from Elderts.
on July 8,2013 | 12:15PM
false wrote:
Bottom line here is that a fair trial is relative if your Deedy or if your their for Elderts.
on July 8,2013 | 11:47AM
LKK56 wrote:
Interesting reading the comments. "Young children" out late and partying can be a big problem - especially if they are packing a gun or have a knife. The main question is "How safe is Waikiki at night?" Local's should show more aloha to the tourist whom bring in precious dollars for Hawaii. Why can't more young people be friendly when they are high/drunk? Unfortunately, drinking does bring out the bad side of people - of all ages.
on July 8,2013 | 12:27PM
jusjoking wrote:
It's because they are just acting out what they know from the racial atmosphere they were raised in.
on July 8,2013 | 02:05PM
honoluludave wrote:
fyi - he chose to use the authority to carry his service weapon. Let's find out ALL the facts in the case before rushing to judgement. U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 12 — Diplomatic Security 12 FAM 020 Page 4 of 8 General Policy Authorization to Carry Firearms A. A DSS special agent stationed in the United States, who is not otherwise in any way legally disqualified from carrying a firearm, is authorized to carry approved firearms on and off duty in accordance with this policy.
on July 8,2013 | 12:35PM
pgkemp wrote:
deedy will get off, just watch..........
on July 8,2013 | 12:58PM
allie wrote:
agree
on July 8,2013 | 12:58PM
ghstar wrote:
Even if he is drunk? Is it okay to be "on duty" and drunk? I would say a federal agent who knowingly goes out and gets drunk while carrying a gun has demonstrated such poor judgment that there is cause for termination. Period.
on July 8,2013 | 02:12PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Not just authorized but expected to ... especially when on assignment.
on July 8,2013 | 07:14PM
hikine wrote:
So what was the caused of the altercation and who initiated it?
on July 8,2013 | 01:03PM
Papakolea wrote:
Why is it that people are wanting to think that one person was a punk and the other was innocent? Could it be that one drunk, high punk met another drunk punk with a gun and punk #1 didn't have the common sense to back down? Both of them might be to blame.
on July 8,2013 | 01:06PM
Slow wrote:
You have cut through the b.s. very well. I bet manslaughter.
on July 8,2013 | 05:15PM
Rivergrouch wrote:
Liquor impaired Deedy's judgement and he should of walked away and called HPD before confronting Elderts. But he made the sole decision to take matters into his own impaired hands and now will suffer the consequences. Either found guilty or not he still took the life of another WITHOUT deadly force justification and that is TOTALLY wrong. I don't care what Elderts called him he should of stepped outside and used his State Department issued cell phone instead of his State Department firearm to call the boyz in blue to handle the situation.
on July 8,2013 | 01:42PM
hapaguy wrote:
An Oahu Grand Jury saw fit to indict Deedy on the charges. I would believe the Prosecutors version of events over the defense attorney Brooke Hart any day. The Prosecutors version of events: Deedy was out drinking with his old college roommate, Adam Gutowski and his girlfriend Jessica West. The drank at First Friday, Moose McGillicuddy’s, and Coconut Willy’s all the while he was in possession of his Glock 9mm which is clearly a violation of State Department rules. On their way to another bar they stopped into McD’s where the overheard a confrontation that did not involve them. They approached Elderts at a table while Elderts was waiting for his food order. A confrontation occurred and Jessica West tried to intervene. When Elderts stood up, Deedy moved around her and “thrust kicked” Elderts in the stomach. Elderts got up and Jessica West was trying to stop Deedy from fighting but Deedy got around her and continued the fight at which time Elderts punched Deedy in the face. It was at this time that Deedy drew his gun and shot and killed Elderts. Deedy clearly was the aggressor initiating the confrontation. Deedy struck the first blow. And according to witnesses and the Prosecutors office, Deedy never identified himself as a Federal Agent.
on July 8,2013 | 02:39PM
IAmSane wrote:
"An Oahu Grand Jury saw fit to indict Deedy on the charges."

I wouldn't take the word of the prosecutors over the defense on that fact alone. I served on the grand jury for a year and we indicted every case that was brought before us. The indictment is the easy part, the trial is a whole other game.

As for the rest of your post, if that's truly what happened that night, yeah, Deedy deserves to be put behind bars for life. The video footage should answer a lot of questions.
on July 8,2013 | 03:02PM
allie wrote:
good point
on July 8,2013 | 03:12PM
hapaguy wrote:
I have a close friend that works in the DA's office and she told me they generally don't bring charges unless they have strong evidence and can reasonably expect the Grand Jury to side with them so that doesn't surprise me that when you served you handed down indictments in every case that was brought before you. I agree that the trial is a whole other game. But my point still stands: I will believe our Prosecutors version of events over the defense attorneys version of events every time in this case especially since our HPD and Prosecutors Office will usually ALWAYS SIDE with another law enforcement agency/officer.
on July 8,2013 | 03:45PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Yea .... it's too bad the prosecutor tried to exclude it from evidence. When that failed, he asked the judge to seal it because he knew anyone seeing it would form an opinion negative to his case.
on July 8,2013 | 07:17PM
liveinhawaii wrote:
Hapaguy, just wondering? Were you there that night at McDonalds' and saw everything? NUFF SAID!!!!!
on July 8,2013 | 07:05PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Hapa has the most factual comments. Reading it earlier then watch the news confirmed it. Also I know when somebody calls themselves Hapa in Hawaii, it's always because they are Hapa Haole. So he can't be bias.
on July 8,2013 | 08:28PM
hapaguy wrote:
No I was not. I am just repeating what was reported the Prosecutors office has said was the version of events garnered by HPD investigation i.e. witnesses etc....
on July 8,2013 | 09:15PM
bumba wrote:
I hope Deedy walks. Elderts is where he belongs, feeding the worms.
on July 8,2013 | 03:49PM
hawaiikone wrote:
I'm reading the comments, and while most seem ready to convict Deedy, I'm hoping there's enough evidence available to discover the truth.
on July 8,2013 | 04:44PM
Slow wrote:
bumba, are you allie? You are so provocative!
on July 8,2013 | 05:19PM
allie wrote:
hey!
on July 8,2013 | 05:35PM
bodysurf_ah wrote:
I expect Deedy will be cornholed within his first week at Halawa.
on July 8,2013 | 05:53PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
He won't get there, the video will tell all.
on July 8,2013 | 07:19PM
Mana07 wrote:
Rees has it backwards. Deedy and Zimmerman are the victims of a racist system. NO WAY will Deedy get a fair trial here.
on July 8,2013 | 07:19PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Why? Mana, the jury is competent.
on July 8,2013 | 08:30PM
TheMajority wrote:
Deedy did what law enforcement officers are trained to do. He first identified himself to Elderts but Elderts did not have any common sense as a HUMAN. Instead of Elderts chillin out, he accosts Deedy. Deedy front kicks him away to create distance. Elderts then begins pounding out Deedy's friend on the ground. It was after seeing his friend bloody on the ground (THE ACTUAL "FIRST BLOOD") that Elderts then approaches Deedy again. Deedy legally drew his firearm to deter Elderts but Elderts, having no common sense, foolhardily decides to GO FOR THE GUN! WTF! Elderts knocks Deedy to the ground and grabs his gun! The spent shell casing that was caught in the gun's ejection port is evidence of Elderts grabbing the gun. The video evidence may also help prove that. Deedy must have thought that Elderts might take away his gun like he did with the slipper. Trying to take an officer's gun leaves an officer with no other option for use force except deadly force. Within a couple seconds, Elderts' actions caused Deedy to have to react in DEFENSE OF HIMSELF.
on July 8,2013 | 08:19PM
TheMajority wrote:
Deedy did what law enforcement officers are trained to do. He first identified himself to Elderts but Elderts did not have any common sense as a HUMAN. Instead of Elderts chillin out, he accosts Deedy. Deedy front kicks him away to create distance. Elderts then begins pounding out Deedy's friend on the ground. It was after seeing his friend bloody on the ground (THE ACTUAL "FIRST BLOOD") that Elderts then approaches Deedy again. Deedy legally drew his firearm to deter Elderts but Elderts, having no common sense, foolhardily decides to GO FOR THE GUN! WTF! Elderts knocks Deedy to the ground and grabs his gun! The spent shell casing that was caught in the gun's ejection port is evidence of Elderts grabbing the gun. The video evidence may also help prove that. Deedy must have thought that Elderts might take away his gun like he did with the slipper. Trying to take an officer's gun leaves an officer with no other option for use force except deadly force. Within a couple seconds, Elderts' actions caused Deedy to have to react in DEFENSE OF HIMSELF.
on July 8,2013 | 08:31PM
hapaguy wrote:
That's a good piece of fiction you have written TheMajority. The Prosecutors office has stated that Deedy approached Elderts who was sitting down waiting for his food order. When Elderts stood up Deedy "thrust kicked" Elderts in the stomach. Deedy even went around his friends girlfriend Jessica West in order to strike the first blow. After Elderts got up and punched Deedy in the face knocking him down, Deedy drew his gun and fired three shots one of which stuck Elderts and killed him. Deedy was a coward that started the fight then when he got punched out had to resort to using his gun cuz he knew the local boy was going kick his okole!
on July 8,2013 | 09:42PM
SueH wrote:
Well OF COURSE the lawyers are going to give conflicting accounts of what happened!! What did you expect?? If they agreed on the unfolding of events, there would be no need for a trial! Sorry to say, but this is simply boils down to a trial of haole vs. local.
on July 8,2013 | 08:33PM
WEATHER wrote:
Only in your mind because you apparently assume that everything boils down to such a simplistic racial footnote and that's how you view the world. I don't condone Deedy's actions, but for the most part those who assail him because he was drinking--poor judgment among other things, by lack of commentary seem to think it was OK that Elderts had been drinking, and had illegal drugs in his system. Talk about impaired judgment. So why should anybody assume that he was in a clear-headed "let's talk about this" state of mind?
on July 8,2013 | 10:23PM
Slow wrote:
It is about murder not race.
on July 9,2013 | 08:20AM
SueH wrote:
The "trial" will be just a Kangaroo Court, as we all can anticipate the outcome with certainty. However, it is unfortunate that those "on trial" will have to live by the findings of this circus.
on July 8,2013 | 08:37PM
Slow wrote:
And what outcome are you certain of?
on July 9,2013 | 08:21AM
DA_HANDSOME_CHINAMAN wrote:
Deedy told Elderts: “Acting like that is going to get you shot,” “do you want to get shot,” and “I’m going to shoot you.” Now you tell me, is that a threat or not? Deedy will rot in jail. He was ready to kill Elderts. A law officer isn't suppose to act like that.
on July 8,2013 | 09:03PM
Anonymous wrote:
Without an audio recording, it would be impossible to confirm that he said this. Remember that this is a claim from the prosecution.
on July 8,2013 | 10:47PM
Anonymous wrote:
I wonder if Liz Rees realizes how hypocritical she is. "Rees said 'it’s really important to make the connection. We demand justice for Trayvon Martin and Kollin Elderts.'” “They are both victims of a racist system.” Rees has already made up her mind on who is guilty based on race. It's just that she practices reverse discrimination. In her mind, whoever has the lighter colored skin is guilty.
on July 8,2013 | 10:41PM
lynnh wrote:
The man was a waist of flesh. I witnessed this loser more than once in Kailua being a violent #$% to anyone he thought he could get the better of. That is, any white person he thought her could get the better of. He got exactly what he deserved, though he deserved it a long time ago.
on July 9,2013 | 02:19AM
lynnh wrote:
It seems that almost close to a hundred percent of the people commenting against Deedy in here are locals that talk with a clear racial prejudiced. Not every one, but most. It disgusts me to read the comments.
on July 9,2013 | 02:37AM
Makua wrote:
I recall reading that the McDonalds incident was the second time that evening where Denny and Elderts has a run in. What happened at the first disagreement was fuel for the second go around. I trust no aloha was shown at the first confrontation.
on July 9,2013 | 10:21AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Your math disgusts me, lol.
on July 20,2013 | 07:36AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
Reversal

Political Radar
Yield

Political Radar
`Plagued’

Political Radar
`Plagued’

Wassup Wit Dat!
Da Chicken Or Da Egg?

Warrior Beat
Depth perception

Political Radar
HB 1700 — Day 3