AP National Security Writer
POSTED: 09:55 a.m. HST, Jul 16, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 09:55 a.m. HST, Jul 16, 2013
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. » The Pentagon chief says his staff and that of his top brass will be trimmed by 20 percent in coming years.
The comments today by Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel came on the second day of a tour of four military bases to talk about budget cuts that have forced furloughs of Defense Department civilian employees and a shortage in services for troops.
Hagel said personnel in his office, the Joint Chiefs chairman's and the headquarters of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines would be cut starting in 2015 and continue through 2019. He wouldn't discuss the estimated savings and didn't give details.
Military spending was slashed by $37 billion this year, forcing job furloughs that began last week for an estimated 650,000 Defense department civilian employees.