Quantcast
  

Sunday, April 20, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 29 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Juror says she owes Martin's parents apology

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 07:35 p.m. HST, Jul 25, 2013


ORLANDO, Fla. » The second juror to speak publicly told ABC News in an interview made available Thursday that she feels George Zimmerman got away with murder for fatally shooting Trayvon Martin, but that there wasn't enough evidence at trial to convict him under Florida law.

Juror B29 told Robin Roberts that she favored convicting Zimmerman of second-degree murder when deliberations began by the six-member, all-women jury.

"I was the juror that was going to give them a hung jury," she said. "I fought to the end."

But by the second day of deliberating, she realized there wasn't enough proof to convict the 29-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer of a crime.

"George Zimmerman got away with murder, but you can't get away from God," she said. "And at the end of the day, he's going to have a lot of questions and answers he has to deal with."

Zimmerman was acquitted earlier this month of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in the 2012 slaying of the unarmed 17-year-old. The Miami teenager was shot and killed during a confrontation with Zimmerman in Sanford. The case spawned heated national debates about racial profiling and the so-called Stand Your Ground self-defense laws in Florida and other states.

Zimmerman was seen publicly for the first time last week when he assisted a family after their SUV flipped over on a Florida highway.

Juror B29 is the second panelist to go public with what went on during deliberations earlier this month. She allowed her face to be shown and used her first name, Maddy, unlike Juror B37, who was interviewed on CNN last week with her face obscured.

Four jurors, not including the one interviewed by ABC, issued a statement last week saying the opinions expressed by Juror B37 to CNN's Anderson Cooper did not represent their views.

That juror said the actions of Zimmerman and Martin both led to the teenager's fatal shooting, but that Zimmerman didn't actually break the law.

Juror B29 also told ABC that she didn't believe race was an issue at the trial. Though the judge so far has refused to release the names or biographical information about the jurors, B29 said she was 36 years old and Puerto Rican.

Martin was black and Zimmerman identifies himself as Hispanic. Martin's parents believe Zimmerman racially profiled their son when he started following him after spotting him walking through the neighborhood where Zimmerman lived and Martin was visiting. B29 said she couldn't speak for her fellow jurors on the race issue. The other women on the jury were white.

Juror B29 is a nursing assistant and mother of eight children who recently moved to Florida from Chicago.

She said she feels like she owes Martin's parents an apology.

"I felt like I let a lot of people down, and I'm thinking to myself, 'Did I go the right way? Did I go the wrong way?'" she said. "As much as we were trying to find this man guilty ... They give you a booklet that basically tells you the truth, and the truth is that there was nothing that we could do about it."







 Print   Email   Comment | View 29 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(29)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
AhiPoke wrote:
I feel for this person as I wouldn't want to be in her position. As a parent, feel sorry for what the Martins are going through. As a human, I feel sorry for what Zimmerman is going through. I would have a hard time killing anyone regardless of the situation. However, I don't understand her apology, especially since she seems to stand by her and the jury's decision which was based on the evidence and the law.
on July 25,2013 | 11:02AM
lookup wrote:
I think she feels bad because Florida law really stopped them from revealing the truth of the situation and how they felt about it. I think it is so weird that there was only 6 jurors in such an important and contarvercial case and from the things that were reported it seems as though the judge was coaching or making the jury biased so they had no choice but to make the decission that they made. Also seems that to begin with Florida law did not want to even investigate the shooting and arrest the shooter Zimmerman.
on July 25,2013 | 11:19AM
Pacej001 wrote:
The judge appeared loaded against the defense to me. At any rate, the judge has to act within the confines of Fla. law. So do the jurors. When we accept jury decisions based on feelings rather than fact, evidence, logic, and law, our system of justice will fail. The jury decision supported the initial decision not to charge Zimmerman because of the strong facts and witness accounts supporting self defense. The great injustice in this case was that it was brought forward by political pressure.
on July 25,2013 | 12:38PM
cojef wrote:
Agree with you. Emotions are not how decision are made in a jury trial. The 2nd degree charge was instigated by political pressures and, before the closing arguements were made, the prosecution introduced and added the manslayghter charge whoch was unfair to the defense. This surprise move by the prosecution further weaken their case, by signaling that they had no confidence on the initial charge.
on July 25,2013 | 02:03PM
ISCREAM wrote:
The whole trial was instigated by political pressure...in the very beginning the police and FBI said there was insufficient evidence to charge...let alone go to trial...we all feel empathy for parents who lose a child to being shot or a car accident. What bothers me is that almost all black people are saying that he was guilty without having access to evidence. They appear to be the racists.
on July 25,2013 | 03:04PM
Kealii wrote:
I understand her apology. She felt Zimmerman should be held accountable for Martin's murder but was handcuffed by Florida law with the evidence provided insufficient for a conviction. Sometimes, just because it's law doesn't always make it right.
on July 25,2013 | 11:38AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Yeah, and sometimes because someone "feels like" Zimmerman committed murder it doesn't follow that he actually did.
on July 25,2013 | 12:14PM
Kealii wrote:
While Zimmerman may have escaped the murder charge, he was the antagonist and the reason the situation developed in the first place.
on July 25,2013 | 03:07PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Not the way the law works. Nor should it be the way the law works. Following a person is not illegal or necessarily threatening (unless you're talking about a frequent event or some overt threatening act committed while following someone). Neither is asking someone a question (if that's what Zimmerman did) illegal. Nor should asking a question be justification for assaulting a person. Zimmerman was a fool for getting out of his car, but he did nothing illegal (based on evidence) and nothing deserving of being assaulted. If the evidence is to be believed, Trayvon initiated the violence. His was the first illegal action. Sad to say, but he is responsible for his own death.
on July 25,2013 | 06:24PM
thepartyfirst wrote:
I wonder how much this juror got paid for doing this? This smells like a Leftwing Liberal operatives fanning the fire of racism.
on July 25,2013 | 12:31PM
copperwire9 wrote:
Oh yeah, sure thing.
on July 25,2013 | 12:55PM
cojef wrote:
Had a lot of respect for Robin Roberts, and feel sorry that she chose this venue to express her displeasure with the verdict.
on July 25,2013 | 02:08PM
nearby wrote:
Oh please.
on July 25,2013 | 05:48PM
ISCREAM wrote:
She could have stood her ground and found him guilty...the most would have been a hung jury....to say after the fact is to blame circumstance and the laws not to take responsibility...
on July 25,2013 | 03:06PM
Ripoff wrote:
too late now..
on July 25,2013 | 11:18AM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Cop out. Just doesn't want to publicly stand by her decision. How can you say GZ got away with murder, but there wasn't enough evidence? Because your emotions told you so?
on July 25,2013 | 11:30AM
haroldwah wrote:
Agree.
on July 25,2013 | 11:44AM
kainalu wrote:
I agree too. Stick with the facts.
on July 25,2013 | 06:09PM
Aieagrl wrote:
Case closed already. What they going do? drag this out to one reality TV show program, A talk show, what?
on July 25,2013 | 12:07PM
nearby wrote:
Yeah, case closed. Some armed cop wannabe was following people around in his gated community, was told by the police to stand by, got out of his truck anyway with a loaded weapon and followed on foot, and ended up killing someone because he couldn't handle the situation. If he didn't have the stupid gun, he probably wouldn't have had the courage to act so ignorantly. The trial may be over. However, it remains that allowing most citizens is idiotic and unnecessary, and "stand your ground" laws are an invitation to mayhem. Can we get over the Wild West machismo, fund schools, social services, and police adequately and move on to a more civilized society?
on July 25,2013 | 05:53PM
golfishi wrote:
Enough already!!!! First of all, this case should never have gone to trial. You can bet your bottom dollar that if Zimmerman was the one who got shot, the blacks would have said that Martin was right. Martin was not very smart by choosing to attack Zimmerman rather than go home. People need to stop listening to the Sharptons, Jacksons, Obamas, and Holders. They are causing the uproar in this case. The verdict was determined by the jury -- NOT GUILTY!!! It is time to move on. This is definitely a race issue. And, who always brings up the race card? Always the blacks! Get over it, we are all Americans -- black, white, yellow, brown. The Japanese were so discriminated against during and after the war, but do you ever hear them whine about how badly they were treated???? No, because they have a lot of pride and class!!
on July 25,2013 | 12:49PM
Grimbold wrote:
golfishi you have a point, i am surprised the censors did not erase your message, because it is true but not politically correct.
on July 25,2013 | 01:35PM
SyDag wrote:
In our country, the USA, the law says "Innocent unless proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt" no matter what the Florida law is. The prosecution against the defendant Zimmerman did not prove guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Emotions and opinions do not matter.
on July 25,2013 | 01:10PM
Grimbold wrote:
Martin's parents also owe Zimmermann an apology for her son's smashing his nose!
on July 25,2013 | 01:31PM
Kealii wrote:
And your parents owe the world an apology for allowing you to post such unsympathetic comments.
on July 25,2013 | 03:12PM
serious wrote:
Martin was on dope---the verdict is in and a black journalist still wants to bring it to attention. Give it up!!!
on July 25,2013 | 03:25PM
nitpikker wrote:
blame the prosecutors. they should have gone for manslaughter not murder. just like deedy trial.
on July 25,2013 | 04:46PM
kainalu wrote:
And like the Casey Anthony trial too. I would suggest negligent homicide, much easier to prove and lots of evidence to support those charges in both, the Zimmerman and Anthony case. Not that either planned to kill, but that their negligence led to those deaths. Punishment not as harsh, but better than nothing.
on July 25,2013 | 06:11PM
sailfish1 wrote:
This juror is WRONG! If there is not enough evidence to convict Zimmerman for murder or manslaughter, then Zimmerman is innocent. Remember, innocent until proven guilty is the American way. A juror speaking out like this is stupid and irresponsible,
on July 25,2013 | 08:31PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News