Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

N. Korea withdraws invite for U.S. envoy

By Matthew Lee & Matthew Pennington

Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:47 a.m. HST, Aug 30, 2013


WASHINGTON >> North Korea has rescinded its invitation for a senior U.S. envoy to travel to Pyongyang to seek the release of a detained American, the State Department said today.

Bob King, the U.S. special envoy for North Korean human rights, was due to travel today from Tokyo to Pyongyang to request a pardon and amnesty for Kenneth Bae, and return the next day.

Bae was sentenced in April to 15 years of hard labor by the authoritarian state, which accused him of subversion.

Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said the U.S. is "surprised and disappointed by North Korea's decision" and remains gravely concerned about Bae's health.

King intends to return to Washington from Tokyo on Saturday.

It's a further setback to U.S.-North Korean relations, which already are severely strained by concerns over Pyongyang's nuclear program.

"We have sought clarification from the DPRK about its decision and have made every effort so that Ambassador King's trip could continue as planned or take place at a later date," Harf said in a statement, referring to the country's formal title of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

"We remain gravely concerned about Mr. Bae's health and we continue to urge the DPRK authorities to grant Mr. Bae special amnesty and immediate release on humanitarian grounds," Harf said.

The North Korean diplomatic mission at the United Nations in New York declined to comment today.

Bae, a 45-year-old tour operator and Christian missionary, was arrested last November and accused of committing "hostile acts" against North Korea. He suffers from multiple health problems and was recently hospitalized.

On Wednesday in Tokyo, King had cautioned that Washington had received no guarantees from Pyongyang that Bae would be freed.

The visit by King would have been the first public trip to North Korea by an administration official in more than two years and could have provided an opening for an improvement in relations.

North Korea has previously used detained Americans as bargaining chips in its standoff with the U.S. over its nuclear and missile programs. Multination aid-for-disarmament talks have been on hold since 2009, and efforts by Washington to negotiate a freeze in the North's nuclear program in exchange for food aid collapsed 18 months ago.

Bae is at least the sixth American detained in North Korea since 2009. The others were eventually allowed to leave without serving their terms, with some releases coming after prominent Americans, including former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, visited North Korea.

The last one to be freed was Eddie Jun. Jun, a Korean-American from California, was arrested for alleged unauthorized missionary work during several business trips to the country. He was brought back to the U.S. when King last visited Pyongyang in May 2011.

Alexandra Olson at the United Nations contributed to this report.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(3)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
ponowai wrote:
Why do these people keep going to NK, knowing the risk and history?
on August 30,2013 | 07:30AM
1local wrote:
cut off all USA taxpayer funded aid to All countries not supporting the USA...
on August 30,2013 | 08:00AM
kennysmith wrote:
i don't want to see any thing with them
on August 30,2013 | 07:51AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
Wait

Political Radar
Second request

Political Radar
Tipped

Warrior Beat
One last fling

Political Radar
Phased in

Political Radar
Palolo v. Pauoa