Quantcast

Tuesday, July 29, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 7 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Judge opposes media request to release Deedy transcripts

By Ken Kobayashi

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 10:51 a.m. HST, Oct 11, 2013


Circuit Judge Karen Ahn opposes the media's request to unseal the transcript of closed proceedings in federal agent Christopher Deedy's murder case, state lawyers said in court papers filed with the Hawaii Supreme Court this morning.

Ahn also opposes the request for a court order prohibiting her from closing future hearings without first giving the public a chance to object, the lawyers said.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser and Hawaii News Now made the request to the high court last month. They maintain that Ahn violated the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment.

Deedy and other news and media organizations support the request. City prosecutors oppose it.

In their opposition, state attorneys disclosed the closed proceedings were "to address matters relating to the jury" and two jurors were "interviewed by the court twice, separately."

The lawyers said the media's request should be denied because they did not object to the closures and the matter should first be heard by Ahn.

Following the closed sessions, Ahn declared a mistrial in August when the jury reported it was unable to reach a verdict on Deedy's murder charge.

Jury selection for Deedy's retrial is scheduled for June on the charge of murdering Kollin Elderts in the 2011 shooting at a McDonald's restaurant in Waikiki.

The high court's options now includes ruling on the request, asking for more legal briefs, or holding a hearing before issuing a decision.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 7 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(7)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
allie wrote:
Deedy should be charged with manslaughter. No proof of murder at all. Seems so obvious really....
on October 11,2013 | 10:43AM
AhiPoke wrote:
Do you have a law degree? Did you attend the trial? If you say "no" to either question you should keep you rmouth shut.
on October 11,2013 | 12:18PM
Nevadan wrote:
Aloha Poke. Allie exemplifies more common sense than the judge, who showed no intelligence, in spite of her (presumably) law degree. Think about it: You are paying dearly for the judge's salary and ignorance.
on October 11,2013 | 01:47PM
lwandcah wrote:
Nothing is obvious in this case other than the fact that a whole lot of poor choices were made that night.
on October 11,2013 | 11:41AM
richierich wrote:
Judge Karen Ahn should be disbarred.
on October 11,2013 | 12:35PM
lookup wrote:
I do not know the law in this case but I do wonder why manslaughter was not a consideration! It is evident that Deedy did not intend on murdering anyone but, things got out of hand and Deedy did endup shooting and killing Elderts. What ever Elderts did he did not deserve to be killed, and Deedy should have used better judgement in the situation, therefore I think manslaughter should be an option.
on October 11,2013 | 12:48PM
Olopala wrote:
I thought Judge Ahn was a TV news reporter before becoming a lawyer and a judge but perhaps I'm mistaken and an thinking of Bambi Wild/Elizabeth Hifo.
on October 11,2013 | 03:13PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
`My side’

Political Radar
‘He reminds me of me’

Bionic Reporter
Needing a new knee

Warrior Beat
Monday musings

Small Talk
Burning money

Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout