Sunday, April 20, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 74 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Chow: Winning football games, chasing championships is 'our job'

By Ferd Lewis and Gene Park

LAST UPDATED: 08:29 p.m. HST, Dec 22, 2011

Norm Chow returned to Honolulu today to take a University of Hawaii head football coaching job that "I didn't think would ever happen."

Chow was introduced as the successor to Greg McMackin at a campus press conference this afternoon.

"Thank you for allowing me to come home," Chow said this afternoon.

Chow, who was named to the position Wednesday, was scheduled for a whirlwind first day: Meet with athletic director Jim Donovan on a number of issues, including the hiring of a staff, sign some employment papers, be the guest of honor at a reception at Washington Place hosted by Gov. Neil Abercrombie and attend tonight's UH basketball game in the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic at the Stan Sheriff Center.

Chow said his first responsibility is to graduate students and prepare them for life. But he also committed to winning "as many football games as we can possibly win."

"We're going to win football games," Chow said. "We will chase championships. That's our job."

Chow spent 38 years as an assistant at five colleges and one NFL stop but said getting his first head coaching job and having it at home at UH "was something I hadn't imagined."

Chow said he is "in a hurry to assemble a (coaching) staff."

He is scheduled to meet with all the members of the current UH coaching staff and said, "I won't have a problem putting a staff together. I've heard from a  tremendous amount of coaches from across the country."

He said he hasn't as yet offered a job to anyone.

"I'm fired up, I'm excited, and I can't wait," Chow said.

The 65-year old Chow said he "will keep a hand in the offense. I'll be involved in the offense. Very much so."

Players should also have ambitions for the NFL, Chow said.

"I would hope that every recruit we bring in thinks he can make the NFL," Chow said. "Obviously very few will, and that is why we go back to responsibility No. 1, so we could prepare them for the rest of their lives."

UH also announced a season ticket drive at today's press conference.

Reaction of the hiring of Norm Chow:

Philip Rivers
San Diego Chargers Quarterback and former N.C. State Quarterback
“I had Coach Chow my freshman year at N.C. State and he was a lot of the reason why I got my career going as a true freshman. Without him, I don’t know if I would’ve had the success that I had as a freshman, which then I was able to continue through the rest of my college career. Although I only had him one year, we’ve kept in touch over the past 10 years and I think he’s a great coach. More importantly I think the University of Hawaii is getting a great man. As a quarterback, he had a way of really giving you the best chance to be successful. There wasn’t just one cookie-cutter way about it. Depending on the player that you were, the guys you have, the personalities you have, he was able to tailor the system and the plays and the whole deal to give you the best chance to be successful. As at true freshman, that was huge for me.”

Ty Detmer
Former BYU Quarterback, Heisman Trophy Winner
“I’m just really excited for Norm. I think it’s a great opportunity for him. He’s been around a lot of football and he really helped me progress and was a great coach for me. It will be great for the University. He’s really good at putting together a system for what he has to work with. I think he will give people as much as they can handle. I know there have been times where they’ve run the ball a lot with him, and times where they’ve thrown the ball a lot with him. I think he’s really good with assessing what he has and calling plays and putting together a game plan with what talent he has to work with. He was always willing to allow me some freedom. If I didn’t like a play, he’d take it out of the playbook. He also gave me freedom at the line and allowed me to progress that way.”

Carson Palmer
Oakland Raiders Quarterback, Heisman Trophy Winner and former USC Quarterback
“He’s a great man, great coach and great role model. They will be an extremely hard-working team that’s well prepared. He’ll focus on winning, education and just bettering the young kids that he’s tutoring.”

Reggie Bush
Miami Dolphins Running Back, Former USC Running Back
“I really enjoyed playing under Coach Chow. I learned a great deal from him and grew both as a person and as a player under his direction. He has a great background and it’s no surprise that he has coached so many outstanding players. He is an excellent teacher who was instrumental in my development at the college level, and being exposed to his innovative offense was a great way to prepare me for the NFL. I enjoyed my time playing for him and I think he will bring an exciting and winning style of football to Hawai‘i.”

Matt Leinert
Houston Texas Quarterback, Heisman Trophy Winner and former USC Quarterback
“I’m excited for Coach Chow. He was an instrumental part of my career in college and helped me grow as a quarterback and as a person in college. I just always knew from talking with him that he always wanted to be a head coach and maybe people might have thought (the opportunity) would come earlier, but he’s just been a phenomenal coach for such a long time that it was inevitable that this was going to happen. I can imagine how excited he is to be able to coach at the University of Hawaii—it’s probably a dream job for him. I know he’s going to do a great job and I’m just really, really excited for his family. It’s a great opportunity for him, he’s been in a few places the last three years, but it all worked out perfectly for him in the end. He’s going to do a great job. Norm is an old school coach but he’s very, very good at what he does. His style is kind of a West Coast offense, moving the ball around and getting the ball out fast. Carson (Palmer) was the first to play for him and you look at all he accomplished. I just think he’s just really good at what he does. Knowing him, he’s going to put a great staff together and I think you’re probably going to see a little different style of football at Hawaii now. I know in the past it’s been the “run and shoot” with four or five wide and throw the ball all over the field. I know that Coach Chow likes to throw the ball, but I think you’ll see more of a balanced attack. He’s going to get the type of players he needs and I think it’s going to be awesome. It might take him a year or two to build but I think he’s a perfect fit for the job.”

Mike Holmgren
President, Cleveland Browns
 “I’m so excited about this. It’s a great thing for the University. I think it’s the most natural thing in the world. Norm and I first met and worked together at BYU. I learned so much about football from him and that was my first major job at the college level. We established not only a professional relationship, but a friendship at that time back in 1982. Since that time, we’ve kept in contact over the years. We’ve encouraged one another and watched our families grow up. The beautiful thing about this, is that he’s going home. He’s kind of come full circle and I think it’s a wonderful thing for the University, for Norm, and his family. There’s no question that he’ll be successful. He is as creative a football coach that I’ve ever worked with or know. His execution on offense—wherever he’s gone—it’s clear that he puts his imprint on the offense. He’s had Heisman Trophy winners at USC and BYU, Rivers at NC State, and all the great players that he had at BYU, so I think he’s the perfect hire.”

Kyle Whittingham
Utah Head Football Coach
“While we’re sorry to see Norm leave, the opportunity to become the head coach at Hawaii was too good to pass up. We appreciate his contribution to our program over the past year and wish him all the best in his new position.”

LaVell Edwards
Former BYU Head Coach
“I think it’s a great hire. I think he’ll do an outstanding job like he has everywhere else he’s been. He did a tremendous job for us and Southern Cal and everywhere else he’s been. I think it’s just a great hire and I’m real happy for him and for the University of Hawaii. I think it’ll be a good fit. Norm and I had a great relationship. We brought him up as a graduate assistant when he was coaching high school over in Hawaii and he did a very good job for us and when an opening occurred on the staff we moved him up to a full-time assistant and he just went on from there and developed to be an outstanding coach, a very good offensive coach. I sure do think he’ll be successful over there.”

Lane Kiffin
USC Head Football Coach
“We’re very excited for Coach Chow. After an outstanding career as an assistant coach with many teams, it’s nice to see him fulfill his dream to be a head coach. That’s a great hire by Hawaii and should lead to many years of success for the Warrior football program. We look forward to facing Coach Chow and his team when Hawaii comes to the Coliseum this fall.”

Trevor Mattich
Former BYU Offensive Lineman/ESPN Analyst
“I think that’s a great fit. He was a quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator at BYU and I know him from those days there. I knew then that our talent was always maximized and no matter what happened, our guys were in a position to win. Off the field though, he’s even a better fit because he’s from Honolulu and knowing the family values of the Polynesian culture are critical. He understands that.”

RELATED STORIES

More From The Star-Advertiser

'Hawaii Five-0' still behind 'Castle'

COMMENTS

Great news as the buzz is going across the country --good demand for assistance and coordinators.
on December 22,2011 | 08:16AM
jusmetwocents wrote:
Finally, we can start recruiting in Kahuku!
on December 22,2011 | 09:37AM
OB1NONO_ME wrote:
Yuuuuuuuuuuup!
on December 22,2011 | 11:30AM
ponojr wrote:
I thought UH was already getting kids from Kahuku?
on December 22,2011 | 01:29PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
on December 22,2011 | 10:55AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Not necessarily. Most head coaches were assistants at some time in their career and most CEOs did not walk into that position straight our of college. Give the man a chance.
on December 22,2011 | 11:47AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
OK, next time you have a sore tooth, ask the hygienist to pull it. Or ask the 3rd year medical student to take out that tumor. Nahhhhh....this ain't no on-the-job-training opportunity. This here is tax money and I want a guy who has "Head Coach" on his resume followed by a lot of numbers on the left and not too many on the right. Problem is we settle for less than the best and then we complain. Didn't you argue to give McMackin a chance, too?
on December 22,2011 | 01:43PM
Matsu wrote:
Maneki- I am guessing you are the type who would complain no matter who got hired. Take a breath. We season ticket holders are happy with the selection, and we will continue to support the Warriors.
on December 22,2011 | 02:05PM
ponojr wrote:
Wagner and Tomey were assistants before becoming head coaches. They turned out to be okay.
on December 22,2011 | 02:56PM
admiral wrote:
For what it's worth, some years ago the New York Times ran a couple of articles about Chow that specifically addressed the reasons why he had never become a head coach despite his legendary status as an offensive genius. They drew two conclusions, although they were interlinked. The first was flat-out racism. One incident occurred at BYU just before he left. The other reason they gave was that he's not a back-slapping good 'ol boy of the sort that rich would-be jock alums at big football schools like to pal around with. He's a serious person who takes his job seriously--which does not include making fat old fat cats feel that their testosterone is still raging. Chow doesn't suffer fools easily. Good for UH for finally hiring him. It should have happened 16 years ago, but the AD at that time had an old college chum in mind for job, a guy named Fred.
on December 22,2011 | 03:28PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
You guess wrong. I just think it's pitiful Hawaii gets so excited by getting Utah's second stringers.
on December 22,2011 | 09:13PM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
You aren't going to get a "proven" head coach for the money UH was willing to pay. As far as coaches go, you weren't going to find someone with more experience and success than Chow, among their finalists.
on December 22,2011 | 02:46PM
niimi wrote:
Dan Hawkins did we at Boise State. Then Chris Petersen--ASSISTANTS!
on December 22,2011 | 03:09PM
AirRescueFF wrote:
^This.
on December 22,2011 | 05:48PM
AirRescueFF wrote:
So, how did present CEO's get their FIRST position as a CEO if businesses only hire CEO's?
on December 22,2011 | 05:47PM
jimmyhouse67 wrote:
I don't know, I know for a fact that you've never been the lead man in anything. But someone like you is happy always being under someone as you lack the knowledge, skill, education and overall attitude to have ever succeeded in anything in your life. It's okay for you to live a lesser life, but please don't hate on those that have actually done something special with their life. You life is full of could have, should have and would have, and as you watched everyone pass you by you became a little more bitter. Be happy with who you are and your place in life. Social Darwinism - those who are successful deserve to be there, and those who lead lives like yours, deserve to be at the bottom. The fittest and most prepared rise to the top.
on December 22,2011 | 09:58PM
onemorebeer wrote:
i hope Chows west coast offense can fly. remember the last guy who brought the west coast offense to hawaii...F V A.
on December 22,2011 | 08:17AM
entrkn wrote:
Everyone in Hawaii will be expecting Coach Chow to be Very involved with his new offense...
on December 22,2011 | 08:18AM
Wazdat wrote:
What a Nice Chrsitmas gift for UH Footabll...its CHOW TIME
on December 22,2011 | 08:30AM
blackkitty wrote:
Q. Is there some way I can vote on today's StarAdvertiser Poll Question? (Re: Coach Chow's selection).
on December 22,2011 | 08:41AM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
UH has made a very good choice in Norm Chow and their negotiations deserve an A . I believe that Norm Chow will attract blue chip quarterback prospects and even other positions due to his reputation for producing top NFL quarterbacks such as Steve Young. His experience with schools that have won the national titles such as BYU and USC will be valuable. Because of his BYU experience we may possibly attract players from Kahuku that would have normally gone to BYU or Utah. I know that others will disagree with this assessment but this is a blog and I can post my opinion and everyone else has one right? I believe that UH took a step in the right direction in hiring Norm Chow. We are fortunate to have a great coach to head the helm or our flagship team. We must be careful not to make our assessment of his ability during his first year as teams in transition will go through growing pains.
on December 22,2011 | 09:22AM
taduyenishi wrote:
Coach Chow, please use the throw back uniforms at least once a year.
on December 22,2011 | 09:46AM
UH_Warriors wrote:
Now that we got a great coach, let's dump Under Armour and go back to Nike. The back view of the bottoms from the back were awful this year. Nike has the cool alternate helmets and jerseys. We don't have to get crazy like Oregon does, but wouldn't it be awesome to see the team come out once in a while in their throwback Rainbow Warrior helmets and jerseys? No need to bring back the silver road helmets. A Primo style warrior logo would look neat. Nike also has the kind of gloves that our guys could do a glove salute to form the "H" after a great play. Anyone notice that when we turned our back on Nike, the goddess of victory, a lot of things changed for the worse. We also wouldn't have embarrassing losses at home right in front of the "Protect This House" sign. Depends on their contract with UA, but I don't care if UH is one of 11 schools wearing UA. Nike are the innovators. Look at what they did for Michigan State this year with their alternate gold and Roman Latin helmets with their glove salute gloves.
on December 22,2011 | 10:24AM
ponojr wrote:
Doesn't UH get their white jerseys next year along with the camo design?
on December 22,2011 | 12:07PM
PalisadesKid wrote:
I did read UA is crafting cammo designs for UH, but for sure UH football will be getting another set of green tops with black trim to match the modified designs from this past season.
on December 22,2011 | 06:52PM
PalisadesKid wrote:
An outfitter is only as good to it's clients if they provide them equal products as with other competition. Remember the Sugar Bowl and those plain white pants. We had the Nike deal then and Nike in their glory and capabilities couldn't finish the tapa design in time... Unacceptable when a school you sponsor is going to a BCS Bowl game. Plus you had players on that team drooling over the Nike stuff Georgia had compared to theirs. Nike couldn't even furnish enough practice equipment to the Warriors who were using old Reebok practice jerseys from the Chang and Rolo days. When the Nike deal was up for renewal right after the Sugar Bowl and sending Colt to the Heisman ceremony, Nike's rep told UH that "we're in the same league as a Rutgers", UH said they'd explore options. Addidas showed no interest, Russell Athletics showed interest, but UH passed, then Under Armour came along and presented UH football and athletics with a deal worth WAY more in cash and apparel than what Nike was willing to give. FACTS ARE FACTS. Under Armour is not on par with Nike, but they have been more financially supportive of UH football, softball, baseball, soccer, and partially Wahine basketball.
on December 22,2011 | 06:51PM
Matsu wrote:
Please, not matter what you do, NEVER go back to the old rainbow helmet. That was horrible. The new logo, is such an improvement, and just check with the logo items sales, they grew dramatically once the new color skiem and logo were adopted. I do agree that the Under Armour look has not been the best (too busy), but never go back to the pre JJ days.
on December 22,2011 | 02:09PM
maunawili1 wrote:
Wow! Thanks for clearing matters up for me! We lost not because of an anemic defense, a feckless special teams, and a boring and uncreative offense, but rather because we had the wrong uniforms! Boy, you better call Coach Chow right away. I am sure he will hire you guys as his new assistants!!
on December 22,2011 | 02:59PM
eastside808 wrote:
Well UH got the coach they needed at a very reasonable salary. Now, in order to keep our children on the island and representing the 808, UH needs to provide the technical and educational foundation in fields related to the alternative energy to sustain the 808 throughout the 21st century.
on December 22,2011 | 09:50AM
GorillaSmith wrote:
This is a great move by UH and by Norm Chow. One gets the feeling that the bumbling amateurs are finally being escorted off campus and the grown-ups are at long last taking charge. It's like Gerald Ford said after replacing Richard Nixon: "Our long national nightmare is over." One request, Norm: Please clear the decks and replace all the assistants - no exceptions. Out with the grinners and in with the winners.
on December 22,2011 | 10:13AM
Matsu wrote:
Coach Rolovich took a thrird string pizza delivery boy and turned him into the nation's leader in total offense. How quickly we forget!! This year he had to manage an offense with an all-new O-line, and all-new skill players, and you blame him for the inconsistant offense? Pay attention. Rolo has skills. We don' know how good we have it.
on December 22,2011 | 02:13PM
pukashell wrote:
I'm also for keeping Rolo. I thought he did a great job for the offense this year and last.
on December 22,2011 | 02:37PM
OB1NONO_ME wrote:
Keep Tuioti. He's an ace at recruiting Poly players.
on December 22,2011 | 11:29AM
warriorrebel wrote:
AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on December 22,2011 | 12:06PM
frontman wrote:
Please tell big macs staff, thanks but NO THANKS. You were part of the problems and UH Rainbow Warriors need a new beginning.
on December 22,2011 | 12:21PM
NITRO08 wrote:
I think you were part of the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!
on December 22,2011 | 08:09PM
40black wrote:
coach Chow, bring Andrew Manley back to Hawaii.
on December 22,2011 | 12:22PM
OB1NONO_ME wrote:
And give him an O-line.
on December 22,2011 | 12:45PM
rmw wrote:
Now that is a great idea. He would do wonders with that kid!
on December 22,2011 | 03:15PM
NITRO08 wrote:
WHAT A BUNCH OF LOOSER'S HE JUST GOT HERE AND EVERYONE IS' TELLING HIM WHAT TO DO AND WHO TO HIRE. HE'S THE COACH HE DOESN'T NEED HELP FROM ANYBODY. HAWAII WILL NEVER GET ANY PRO TEAM BECAUSE OF THE FANS WE GOT HERE. HE NEEDS SUPPORT SO INSTEAD OF GIVING ADVISE GO TO THE GAMES DONATION TO THE UH THAT'S WHAT HE NEEDS NOT ADVISE!
on December 22,2011 | 01:27PM
whateva-works wrote:
Meaning of Back seat quarterbacks.
on December 22,2011 | 02:17PM
MrMacadangdang wrote:
LOL best comment on this thread...you nailed it. "He should do this/that"...just support the boys and the coach people! Big difference from stating OPINIONS and "BACK-SEAT QUARTERBACKING" hahahaha. Aloha, GO WARRIORS.
on December 22,2011 | 03:01PM
motoxdad wrote:
Yeah, so all you fans stop it so we can have a pro team here.HAHAHA LMAO
on December 22,2011 | 03:09PM
Dragonman wrote:
Congrats to Norm Chow on becoming head coach at UH. I wish you success in your new job. Now all you have to do is win and everyone will be happy, lose and they will calling for your head. Sorry but that is the truth.
on December 22,2011 | 02:11PM
jrboi96786 wrote:
I really have a good feeling about this coach. Too early to tell but the attitude he is giving pumps me up. The coach reflects what the players are going to be and this really excites me for the next season...
on December 22,2011 | 02:36PM
WesleySMori wrote:
"WELCOME" Back HOME "COACH NORM CHOW"!!!! "GOD BLESS HAWAII & AMERICA"!!!!
on December 22,2011 | 02:39PM
BTO wrote:
just heard the press conference - WOW!! Leadership, developer of men, men of high achievement and the willingness to work hard to reach those aspirations wanted only...Makes you want to suit up now and take on the world!! Awesome leader, communicator and motivator.
on December 22,2011 | 02:42PM
niimi wrote:
Didn't Norm Chow call his team, "The Rainbow Warriors."? I thought I heard it--twice.
on December 22,2011 | 03:11PM
Hendo wrote:
I head it too. I recalled Coach Chow saying "better get used to that." To me, they've always been the "Rainbow Warriors."
on December 22,2011 | 05:38PM
Pookie_Baby wrote:
Based on the conferance and Coach Chow's words, it seems like he will demand discipline from both his players AND his coaching staff.
on December 22,2011 | 03:16PM
Eradication wrote:
Both on and off the field...yes!!! Sounded like several of the players were present.
on December 22,2011 | 03:41PM
Venus1 wrote:
Welcome home!!! Feels right to have Norm Chow..come home to Hawaii and be the first Asian American coach in A I Football!
on December 22,2011 | 03:21PM
Hendo wrote:
While everyone is entitled to an opinion, I am: (a) glad that hardly anyone that matters listens to or bases their decisions on some of the negativity sometimes expressed in these blogs, (b) perplexed as to why some people don't ever want to give others a fair shot to see what they can really do and (c) pleased that most of the fans are now looking forward to a new era for the Warriors. Hopefully, it will be a good and successful one.
on December 22,2011 | 03:25PM
Eradication wrote:
I was in my car when the press conference began. I pulled over to listen so I could hear what Coach chow had to say. I was totally impressed with what he had to say concerning the style and intensity he will bring to the team. I also was VERY impressed with his stated priorities, primarily to graduate students FIRST,. then everything else. I also liked what he said about grooming players for the NFL but realizing that not everyone (actually very few) makes it that far which is why he felt graduating people was so important. I like that type of mindset. It sounded like he has in mind who his staff will be and that while he will interview current assistant coaches it sounded like he will bring in his own people. I am really excited to UH. Now, we, the fans need to support this staff in any way we can whether it be buying season tickets or donating to Na Koa or just be supportive as UH enters in to this new era. Go RAINBOW WARRIORS!!!
on December 22,2011 | 03:36PM
BTO wrote:
Just heard the press conference too- Norm Chow's personality reeks leadership. He is a great motivator, and a man of high moral character. He is a champion and now I know why. He demands sucess from all those that will have a stake in this. From players to coaches. But he demands all those to work their tails off to achieve it. WOW... Makes you want to suit up and follow this man into war!!
on December 22,2011 | 03:49PM
Hendo wrote:
He certainly was impressive. Gave me chicken skin. We need to give Coach Chow a fair chance and all the support the local community can give him and the team.
on December 22,2011 | 05:43PM
jcole wrote:
UH announced a season-ticket sales promotion. Great, but What exactly are they doing?
on December 22,2011 | 04:04PM
I believe it some sort of lawaway plan where you put down $250.00 and lock in your seats, with a future payment due down the road before the season starts.
on December 22,2011 | 04:13PM
niimi wrote:
How quickly the (hot air blowing) fans forget: Much of Mac's staff came from June Jones, went 12-0 and got into the BCS Sugar Bowl. Mac's year 1: Lost RB, half the line, QB and 2 WR and 2 slots to graduation. Bowl game. Mac's year 2: Lost 9 defensive starters, half of the backups. Mac's year 3: Went 10-3, won the conference. Bowl game. Led the nation in INTs and turnover ratio (Miano's secondary) Mac's year 4: Lost RB and 2 slots to graduation/NFL draft. Lost 4 of 5 OL. Lost 5 defensive starters. Still won 6 games. Based on some of the ***F-A-N*** logic on this discussion board, if YOU have a slightly down year at work, slightly less than break-even, you should be fired and good riddance to you.
on December 22,2011 | 04:15PM
niimi wrote:
Someone on this board whined, "If we wanted a proven head coach, why hire a perennial assistant. Didn't work out too good last time, eh? When business wants to hire a CEO they hire a CEO not somebody who never quite was CEO. There is a reason most #2 people stay #2." So you base your premise only on "the last time"? Then Bill Walsh, George Siefert, Chuck Noll, Joe Gibbs, Mike Ditka, Bill Cower, Mike Tomlin, I can go on and on, none of them were Head Coaches at another team prior to winning a Superbowl or multiple titles. The Steelers mush defy your logic then. They hired assistant coaches with barely a couple of years as coordinators. 7 Superbowl appearances, 6 Superbowl wins. Wash and Siefert: 5 Superbowl titles. Yup, must be those lousy, no good perpetual #2s. Yup. NOTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
on December 22,2011 | 04:25PM
Hendo wrote:
Yup, that guy is a real loser.
on December 22,2011 | 05:39PM
DrTraffico wrote:
Enough with the opinions. Get on board if you love da bows like me does! Norm is the absolute best we could hope for under the circumsysances. Fact.
on December 22,2011 | 04:42PM
babyb_19 wrote:
I heard the governor is holding a get together for CHOW....Lets hope the STATE is not paying for this...
on December 22,2011 | 05:12PM
isthatright wrote:
The Gov needs a good coach too!
on December 22,2011 | 06:55PM
aiea7 wrote:
you know, that is what mack said when he became head coach - but he delivered only in one area. the proof is in the pudding, let's see if he can make his words come true. like all politicians, they promise you the "world" but give you sometimes nothing. at his age, I don't think that he will deliver in all areas unless he has great assistants - this is what mack lacked, most of his coaches were mediocre and chow needs to clean house - the only guy worth keeping is tuioti. hope chow has "intestinal fortitude" that mack lacked, he wanted to be a "good' guy, but in sports, there has to be discipline and respect, the head coach must lead and lead with authority = no wishy washy; if players don't want to play or coaches don't want to coach, then they must go.
on December 22,2011 | 05:45PM
RKC808 wrote:
This man is a football genius. BUT we have to give him time to get HIS recruits here before we see an upswing. Rome was not built overnight. On top of that, UH is going to a stronger conference next year.
on December 22,2011 | 06:05PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Good Luck Norm, make it happen.
on December 22,2011 | 07:50PM
Manapua_Man wrote:
Wow, Philip Rivers is usually one of my favorite fantasy football QB and he gave Norm Chow a thumbs up... I'm impressed. Of course, I expect next year to be rebuilding. Just as long as we can be competitive in the MWC.
on December 22,2011 | 08:11PM
chryw8 wrote:
june who?
on December 22,2011 | 11:06PM
kennie1933 wrote:
I think Chow will do fine. He has lots of experience at prominent schools and what he might lack, he can always hire coaches to help. What I cannot understand, however, is how much hoopla the State of Hawaii gave him tonight. He was treated better than President Obama! He had a special announcement ceremony at Stan Sherriff Center followed by a huge reception at Washington Place with the governor and all the "important" Hawaii movers and shakers. HE'S JUST A FOOTBALL COACH! Did Gib Arnold have a reception? Did Dana Takahara-Dias? How about Michelle Nagamine (soccer)? Are they coaching "lesser" sports? Let's hope that with all this admiration, he actually fulfills some of those lofty promises. I want them to happen....let's hope he can deliver.
on December 22,2011 | 11:36PM
kailuaboys wrote:
"Are they coaching "lesser" sports?" Yes.
on December 23,2011 | 02:28PM
kennie1933 wrote:
Oh...and did you see the governor at the reception on the news? He looked like a little kid who just opened a great Christmas present! Too bad is isn't as enthusiastic with some others.
on December 22,2011 | 11:40PM
isthatright wrote:
Norm Chow is more Gov than the Gov!
on December 23,2011 | 08:32AM
digger wrote:
does any one on the current staff really believe that they will be there in three months?
on December 22,2011 | 11:57PM