Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 9 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Japanese visitor who fell off trolley dies from injuries

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 05:35 a.m. HST, Sep 20, 2011

A 71-year-old Japanese visitor died from his injuries after falling off an E Noa Tours trolley just outside Ala Moana Center Monday afternoon, police said.

The man was pronounced dead at 11:53 p.m. at the Queen's Medical Center, according to traffic investigators.

Police said the man was standing next to the right side exit at the middle of the vehicle as the trolley was leaving the shopping center at about 3:15 p.m.

When the 33-year-old trolly driver made a left turn onto Ala Moana Boulevard toward Waikiki, the man fell onto the roadway 520 feet west of Atkinson Drive, police said.

He suffered head injuries and was taken by ambulance to the hospital in critical condition, police said.

COMMENTS

Manapua_Man wrote:
Why do they allow people to stand up in trolleys? That's very dangerous.
on September 20,2011 | 06:30AM
kuhioprince wrote:
I've ridden the trolleys many times. The drivers are usually very strict about not allowing people to stand in parts of the trolley where they could potentially fall out. At Ala Moana there are additional employees who make sure people are boarded correctly. My guess is that somebody didn't do their job correctly. After this accident, who knows, they might end up prohibiting standing up in the trolleys in general. Unless they add more trolleys, there will be even more disappointed visitors than before -- I mean people who wait quite a while for one to come to their stop, only to be told that there's no more room and they have to wait for the next trolley.
on September 20,2011 | 06:39AM
Big C wrote:
Riders catching the San Francisco Cable Car's are always just standing/hanging on while the trolley moves. The rider just needs to be careful.
on September 20,2011 | 08:13AM
Vivgie wrote:
You're very right Big C. I once saw a dumbo swinging out sideways from a hand railing just to impress his wife and nearly got whammoed by another trolley coming at him from the opposite direction.
on September 20,2011 | 09:11AM
silvangold wrote:
I agree 500%....people must hold themselves responsible ALL OF THE TIME. this is what I was taught growning up. I truly hope there will be no lawsuit (I saie I hope!) that comes of this - I travel somewhat, and watch what/where and how myself AND my husband go - step - climb stairs - get in and out of vehicles - ... c'mon, you have to take responsibility of how YOU act.....if you get silly and fall, well, das on you! I'm sorry this person died, but would be very sad if the family sees only $$$$$ signs!
on September 20,2011 | 10:01AM
kiragirl wrote:
Lawsuit...
on September 20,2011 | 07:22AM
kiragirl wrote:
Lawsuit...
on September 20,2011 | 07:22AM
A uwe, Karma! Too bad. Accidents do happen and this is another occurrence. Feel sorry for the family in Japan. On the brighter side, he was traveling in Hawaii, perhaps his lifetime dream.
on September 20,2011 | 07:36AM
kameleokalani44 wrote:
How much you wanna bet, that when they left the boarding area, he was standing where he was suppose to, then he moved. Maybe to get more room or whatever. I was a tour driver for 25 years. I would have to impress very hard to them about NOT going over the walls/guardrails ect, and I'd STILL have to chase them back on the safe side. It seems they totally forget about safety when they are on vacation. So sad for the family. My prayers are with them
on September 20,2011 | 09:14PM