Quantcast

Friday, October 31, 2014         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Lit cigarette suspected cause of Kauai fire that destroyed 2 homes

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 09:19 p.m. HST, Aug 25, 2011



A lit cigarette is believed to be the cause of last week's brush fire in Koloa that destroyed two homes and damaged others, according to fire investigators.

Investigators said the fire originated near Ala Kinoiki Street and spread to the residential neighborhood along Kipuka Street. In a news release, Capt. Daryl Date of the Fire Prevention Bureau said, "While there is no reason to believe this fire was intentionally set, we continue to urge the public to never throw cigarettes on the ground or out of a car window."

Kauai's agricultural landscape can become susceptible to wildfires, especially during these hot, dry months, he added. 

The Aug. 18 brush fire scorched 50 acres. Damage was estimated $950,000 in to structures. 






 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News