Quantcast

Tuesday, September 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 8 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Mayor Wright stabbing suspect released without charges

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 12:05 p.m. HST, Jan 30, 2012


Honolulu police released a 33-year-old man arrested in connection with a fatal stabbing Friday night at the Mayor Wright housing project.

Police arrested the man Friday night after a fight involving several people that left one man dead and three others wounded, one critically.

Prosecutors declined to file charges because of self-defense issues, said Dave Koga, a spokesman for the Honolulu Prosecutor's Office.

This is the third time in a week that police released a suspect in a fatal stabbing without charges. Police released a 39-year-old homeless man following a fatal stabbing at Kapiolani Park in the early morning hours of January 23. Detectives arrested another man, 42, in connection with the case on Friday, then released him without charges Sunday night when proseuctors raised concerns about whether the stabbing was in self defense. Police said the victim, Brycen Iona, 20, of Kaneohe, got into a confrontation with the suspect over a bag stolen from the suspect. 

The Medical Examiner's Office this morning identified the Mayor Wright victim as Esewil Y. Rekis, of Mililani. Chersita Bossy, who lives at Mayor Wright, said Rekis was her cousin and was 32 years old. She said he was a father of three, including a daughter who just turned 1, and he worked at a movie theater in Mililani.

She said Rekis had been visiting to organize prayers at people's homes because he had his own ministry.

Police said the incident began with an argument involving several people about 6:45 p.m., and a 33-year-old man pulled out a knife and stabbed Rekis, who later died at the hospital. Three other men, 32, 35 and 53, had possible stab wounds and were also taken to the hospital, police said. Officers arrested the 33-year-old man for investigation of second-degree murder.

The Hawaii Public Housing Authority's executive director said the agency is working to improve security at Mayor Wright housing.

Housing officials plan to hold a public meeting with residents Thursday about security issues and has started installing new fencing to close unsecured entry points and is looking at installing security cameras on property and creating a curfew.

Rekis was the second victim in a fatal stabbing at Mayor Wright homes in five months. TJ Mori, 24, who was Bossy's brother-in-law, was also stabbed to death in September. Takson Krstoth has been charged in that case.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 8 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(8)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions


IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News