Quantcast

Friday, July 25, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Clinton urges stable transition in N. Korea

By Matthew Lee

Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:25 p.m. HST, Dec 19, 2011


WASHINGTON >> The Obama administration called for a peaceful and stable leadership transition in North Korea on Monday but made few demands on a nuclear-armed nation known for its unpredictability, poverty and hostility to the United States.

Prospects for new nuclear disarmament talks involving North Korea and the United States appeared to dim with the unexpectedly sudden death of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and uncertainty surrounding the planned succession to his politically untested son. Top Obama administration national security officials are focusing intelligence and other assets on the opaque internal politics of the reclusive communist nation that former President George W. Bush once placed on an “axis of evil” enemies list.

“We both share a common interest in a peaceful and stable transition in North Korea as well as ensuring regional peace and stability,” Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton told reporters at the State Department after a meeting with Japanese Foreign Minister Koichiro Gemba.

“We reiterate our hope for improved relations with the people of North Korea and remain deeply concerned about their well-being,” she said.

The United States is still looking for better relations with the North Korean people despite the “evolving situation,” Clinton said.

She did not say how Kim’s death would affect the U.S. approach to his country.

Nor did she make any demands on the new leadership, passing up the opportunity to reiterate longstanding U.S. calls for North Korea to follow through on previous nuclear disarmament pledges.

The omission of what has been a standard element of any U.S. officials’ comments on North Korea appeared to underscore Washington’s concern about the situation.

The State Department later said it still was the U.S. view that North Korea make good on those commitments. But the department said Kim’s passing and assumption of power of his son, Kim Jong Un, would delay anticipated developments on resuming nuclear disarmament talks with the North and supplying the nation with food aid.

The United States had been quietly pursuing a new diplomatic opening with North Korea, including hopes for new nuclear talks as soon as next week. That opening now appears on hold, while U.S. officials warily assess whether Kim Jong Un can seize his father’s mantle.

The administration had been expected to decide, possibly as early as Monday, whether to try to re-engage the reclusive country in nuclear negotiations and provide it with food aid. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that decision had been postponed as the administration was now focused on consulting with concerned nations on events in Pyongyang.

Officials have said the U.S. was concerned about any changes Kim’s death might spark in the military postures of North and South Korea, but were hopeful that calm would prevail, despite the test of a short-range missile by the North just hours after the announcement of Kim’s death.

The White House said Monday it was too early to make any judgments about whether Kim Jong Il’s death would provide an opening for better U.S. relations with North Korea. And spokesman Jay

Carney said the longtime leader’s death had not spurred any new concerns about North Korea’s pursuit of nuclear weapons.

“We will continue to press them to meet their international obligations. But we have no new concerns as a result of this event,” he said.

Carney declined to make any assessment of the younger Kim. “We will judge the North Korean government as we always have: by its actions,” he said.

The administration had been poised to announce a significant donation of food aid to North Korea this week, the first concrete accomplishment after months of behind-the-scenes diplomatic contacts between the two wartime enemies, according to those close to the negotiations. And an agreement by North Korea to suspend its controversial uranium enrichment program was expected to follow within days, the officials said.

Nuland said the U.S. wanted to be respectful of North Korea’s period of mourning, and would need to re-engage “at the right moment.”

Suspension of uranium enrichment by North Korea had been a key outstanding demand from both the U.S. and South Korea. North Korea has tested two atomic devices in the past five years. Recent food talks in Beijing yielded a breakthrough on uranium enrichment, the sources said.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject and the sensitivity of dealing with North Korea in general.

The food aid announcement would have not only been welcome news for North Korea, but also pave the way for a crucial U.S.-North Korea meeting in Beijing on Thursday. That meeting in turn could lead to the resumption of nuclear disarmament talks that also would include China, Japan, Russia and South Korea.

The so-called six-party talks were last held three years ago, and resuming them would amount to a foreign policy coup for the Obama administration.

Two senior U.S. diplomats were in North Korea’s lone ally, China, last week to discuss the issues.

They met Obama’s top national security aides on Monday to discuss the way forward. But decisions will be delayed as it is not clear whether North Korean officials will be in position to handle any engagement with the outside, the U.S. officials said.

Carney said the administration has been in touch with officials in South Korea, Japan, China and Russia following the news of Kim’s death.

President Barack Obama spoke with South Korean President Lee Myung-bak late Sunday and the two leaders agreed to stay in close touch.

The top U.S. military officer, Gen. Martin Dempsey, told reporters in Germany the United States and its allies had not seen any change “in North Korean behavior of a nature that would alarm us,” according to the American Forces Press Service. The Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman said there had been no changes to the alert readiness for U.S. forces on the peninsula, although South Korea has put its military and police on alert.

Kim’s death was announced by state media in a “special broadcast” from Pyongyang late Sunday. North Korea will hold a national mourning period until Dec. 29. Kim’s funeral will be held on Dec. 28, it said.
———
Associated Press writers Richard Lardner and Julie Pace contributed to this report.
 







 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(1)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
manakuke wrote:
Another troublesome nuclear ‘mad dog’ bites the dust.
on December 19,2011 | 05:49AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War

Political Radar
Climate change

Island Crafters
YouCanMakeThis.com

Warrior Beat
Empty pit

Political Radar
Switch

Political Radar
`Progressive hero’