POSTED: 11:47 a.m. HST, Jan 30, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 02:54 p.m. HST, Jan 30, 2012
The suspect in the stabbing death following a confrontation over a stolen bag at Queen’s Beach Jan. 22 was released Sunday after prosecutors declined to take up the case, saying it was a matter of self defense.
Police arrested a 42-year-old man Friday, but released him Sunday.
Brycen Iona, 20, of Kaneohe died of stab wounds to his chest after he allegedly stole a bag near the concession areas of Queen’s Surf about 2:25 a.m. Jan. 22.
The 42-year-old owner of the bag confronted Iona and several other men and an argument ensued, police said.
Police alleged that Iona struck the bag owner who allegedly stabbed Iona and another man.
A 39-year-old man initially was arrested right after the stabbing. He was later released because he had been mistakenly identified by witnesses and had nothing to do with the incident, said Dave Koga, spokesman for the city prosecutor’s office.
On Sunday, Honolulu police also released the suspect in a fatal stabbing at Mayor Wright housing because the case involved self-defense. Police arrested the 33-year-old man Friday night after a fight involving several people that left one man dead and three others wounded, one critically.