Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 79 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Writer Peter Berg accuses Romney of plagiarism

LAST UPDATED: 09:31 a.m. HST, Oct 13, 2012

LOS ANGELES » The creator of TV’s “Friday Night Lights” is accusing Mitt Romney of plagiarizing a phrase from the show to use as a campaign slogan.

Peter Berg wrote a letter to Romney on Friday saying he’s “not thrilled” that the Republican presidential candidate is using the phrase “Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose” on campaign posters and his Facebook page.

On the TV show, a small-town Texas football coach uses the phrase to inspire his players before taking the field.

Berg’s agent distributed the letter to the media. In it, the writer-director-actor says Romney’s politics and campaign aren’t aligned with the themes of the TV series.

Berg goes on to thank the governor for supporting the show but says, “Please come up with your own campaign slogan.”

The Romney campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

COMMENTS

false wrote:
Who is Peter Berg? Who cares?
on October 13,2012 | 04:47AM
serious wrote:
Agreed!!!!
on October 13,2012 | 06:39AM
walaau808 wrote:
Plagiarism is plagiarism...
on October 13,2012 | 07:04AM
hawaiikone wrote:
"God and country", Love it or leave it", "What's up, Doc?", "Go ahead, make my day", and a variety of other "plagiarized" phrases are used everyday by many of us in many venues. OK Berg. We get it, you don't like Romney. Vote Obama, it's your right. But try and come up with something substantial to defend your poor choice. "
on October 13,2012 | 07:51AM
gtracer66 wrote:
I agree! If we assume every phrase we use is plagiarism ( there are probably no "original phrases left if you go back in history and literature) , then there will be nothing anybody will be allowed to say at all. Almost everything we say in our language was used by someone else at some time in history. Are we not to be allowed to use any language that "might" have been spoken or written by someone else without doing research on it? Surely, conversations will become uncommon if we have to research and/or attribute everything we say to the original speakers. I'd be willing to place a small wager that whoever came up with that phrase, probably never even watched (or heard of) Friday Night Lights. I know I haven't.
on October 13,2012 | 09:29AM
Oye_Como_Va wrote:
Friday Night Lights seems like some sort of strip show.
on October 13,2012 | 01:10PM
Oye_Como_Va wrote:
on October 13,2012 | 01:09PM
Ronin006 wrote:
Does anyone but me remember how in February 2008 during the election campaign, then Senator Barack Obama plagiarized a phrase from a speech given two years earlier by Governor Deval Patrick of Massachusetts? Probably not. But it did happen. Obama said at the time that he should have credited Patrick, a longtime friend, for the passage in his speech. No big thing. Move on.
on October 13,2012 | 03:54PM
gtracer66 wrote:
Agreed! Sounds like an Obama fan wanting to disparage Romney over nothing of importance.
on October 13,2012 | 09:21AM
steveoctober wrote:
If you think plagiarism isn't important, try going to your local high school principal and tell that to his/her face. See what kind of verbal beating you'll get.
on October 13,2012 | 02:06PM
Ronin006 wrote:
on October 13,2012 | 03:55PM
charlesu wrote:
Love the left slant of the article title......"accuses ROMNEY of plagiarism". Should be...."accuses Romney campaign of plagiarism"!
on October 13,2012 | 07:11AM
NITRO08 wrote:
same same who's running his campaign, isn't mittens the leader?
on October 13,2012 | 10:36AM
Oye_Como_Va wrote:
Can't help if the news service is so slanted bias. It is no wonder they can't sell papers let alone follow simple instructions in delivering the paper. This will be the last year I will be subscribing to this rag.
on October 13,2012 | 01:12PM
fyaman001 wrote:
you Romney supporters are hilarious! never any facts to support your argument.....just things like 'he should have used a colon instead of a semi-colon'. charlesu loves the left 'slant' of the article title? its on ROMNEYS fb page which makes HIM the plagiarist. false wants to know who Peter Berg is? hes the guy who wrote the line and, hence, the guy who is being plagiarized. Not surprised you don't care as you probably didn't know what plagiarism meant but romney must care because he STOLE (plagiarized) the line!! now to comment on the hate posts sure to follow mine (losers can't help themselves) ........WAA WAA WAA WAA!!! (my best attempt at writing what a little babys crying would sound like)
on October 13,2012 | 07:43AM
copperwire9 wrote:
Thanks! Well said.
on October 13,2012 | 07:52AM
thepartyfirst wrote:
fyaman001, Either your a paid liberal blogger or you have your brain up your arse!
on October 13,2012 | 07:54AM
Thanks! Well said.
on October 13,2012 | 08:40AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Attack the messenger, but he's correct.
on October 13,2012 | 11:06AM
hawaiikone wrote:
So the last time the meter was expired but you didn't get a ticket you sent in the fine right? That would have been the "correct" thing to do.
on October 13,2012 | 11:23AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Yes, it would be. I always overpay at a meter so I haven't been faced with that type of situation. I'm far from perfect, but I also believe character is what you do even when no one is looking.
on October 13,2012 | 12:01PM
hawaiikone wrote:
So you're saying if you faced that situation you'd pay the fine?
on October 13,2012 | 12:21PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Since I haven't been faced with it, I'd say "probably" since I'm not sure about how to go about it." But I believe in personal responsibility, so I make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen. I do it when undercharged at a restaurant or retail store and believe everyone should. I've done it many times and teach my kids to do the same.
on October 13,2012 | 12:57PM
hawaiikone wrote:
If undercharged, I will correct the server. Excessive change is returned. Found items are turned over to those responsible, etc. My family, my four kids and their children, have been and are being raised to "do the right thing". Your implication that you'd actually try and seek a way to pay a fine if your meter was expired is dubious at best, as is your upcoming complaint I plagiarized Spike Lee"s "do the right thing" phrase. Equally as ludicrous as complaining about Romney's speech.
on October 13,2012 | 01:23PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Sad to see that you revert to "assumptions" about me when you don't even know me, even when I made no such assumptions about you. But I guess since you also try to put words in my mouth, I should expect it.
on October 13,2012 | 02:07PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Assumptions? You answered my question, I simply find your response hard to swallow. I know in the same situation I'd be glad I didn't get a ticket and try and avoid the expired meter in the future. But I wouldn't give any thought to paying the fine anyway. And regarding words, nothing injected by me, all yours.
on October 13,2012 | 02:19PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
"as is your upcoming complaint I plagiarized Spike Lee's "do the right thing" phrase"? sounded like putting words into my mouth to me. And you made assumptions when you questioned my integrity. So be it. Go ahead... get your last word in. I'm done.
on October 13,2012 | 04:02PM
gtracer66 wrote:
I'm sure we've all been plagiarized at one time or another. I know there are things I've written in newspaper columns that others have picked up and used as there own. Do I care? No! I find it flattering that others liked my words and phrases. When I hear or read my phrases in anther's work, I simply sit back and think to myself, " I coined that phrase.. and somebody liked it enough to use and perpetuate it".
on October 13,2012 | 09:35AM
serious wrote:
Good point!!!
on October 13,2012 | 11:04AM
allie wrote:
I prefer Berg the city councilman
on October 13,2012 | 07:56AM
honokai wrote:
Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own. Did Romney ever claim that he wrote this phrase?
on October 13,2012 | 07:57AM
onwardupward wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on October 13,2012 | 09:36AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Thank you for injecting fact into the discussion.
on October 13,2012 | 11:06AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Ridiculous. Try and take all this to court and see what happens. This is nothing more than an Obama supporter attacking Romney. Too bad there's so little to defend Obama with that his troops have to resort to this kind of nonsense.
on October 13,2012 | 11:33AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Too bad Romney supporters are so quick to dismiss bad behavior and hypocrisy.
on October 13,2012 | 12:03PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Rather than provide the obvious response, suffice it to say we shall cancel each others vote.
on October 13,2012 | 12:30PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
And all be safe in knowing that Hawaii will provide their electoral votes to the President for his second term.
on October 13,2012 | 12:58PM
hawaiikone wrote:
It's about principle, not being in the majority.
on October 13,2012 | 01:27PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Yet you insist YOUR principles are the only ones that matter and the rest of us must conform. I grant you yours, though I disagree with them. It's pretty funny how the right will talk about majority rules until it doesn't agree with their position... then they call Democrats "sheeple". Sad.
on October 13,2012 | 02:09PM
hawaiikone wrote:
First you gloat over the obvious democratic majority in Hawaii then somehow come up with the concept that by my having principles that differ from yours that somehow means I'm forcing them on everyone else. Incredibly convoluted approach to debate, perhaps you should give Obama a call. I've heard he needs a new strategy.
on October 13,2012 | 02:38PM
tiki886 wrote:
O&U. I think it is appropriate that Obama has plagiarized Lenin's slogan of "Forward". Vladimir Lenin founded the publication “Vpered” (the Russian word for “forward”) in 1905.

Communist leaders frequently used--and still use--the word "forward" as an imperative verb, not as an adverb, usually at the conclusion of speeches or articles. It conveys a spirit of collective action and unity--as well as the conviction of the Left that its ideas represent progress. "Forward" comrade!

on October 13,2012 | 12:52PM
Oye_Como_Va wrote:
That's racist! :-O
on October 13,2012 | 01:15PM
And homophobic as well.
on October 13,2012 | 01:21PM
Kapakahi wrote:
And Hawaiians, who use the phrase "Imua!," are merely trying to disguise their Leninist training. Sneaky savages!
on October 13,2012 | 06:36PM
honokai wrote:
Remember, Joe Biden himself ran for president many years ago. The bid ended on a plagiarism scandal.
on October 13,2012 | 07:59AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Yes, it did. And he admitted it, apologized for it, and paid the price for it. Context is important. Has Mr. Romney adnitted it or apologized for it or paid the price? Not yet...
on October 13,2012 | 11:08AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Don't hold your breath...
on October 13,2012 | 12:03PM
tiki886 wrote:
Romney is not going to pay any price for a slogan. Obama on the other hand is staring at IMPEACHMENT as soon as we unravel the coverup of the Libya fiasco.
on October 13,2012 | 12:44PM
Oye_Como_Va wrote:
No, they'll hang Hillary out on the firing line or at least throw her under the bus like many others they use. LMFAO
on October 13,2012 | 01:18PM
tiki886 wrote:
Bubba boy ain't gonna let dat happen! He's sharpening his knives.
on October 13,2012 | 01:30PM
kinkyhobo wrote:
Sorry I'm not privy to the information that you may have, but what impeachable offense do you believed happened? Is there a particular law or section that was violated? I would appreciate it if you could share some of your knowledge with the rest of us.
on October 13,2012 | 02:58PM
tiki886 wrote:
The "embassy" was a CIA mission house and Christopher Stevens was the CIA operative tasked to locate and retrieve military arms and weapons given to the rebels by the US to bring down Gaddafi's regime. Of particular interest - surface to air missiles. (It's probably why the FBI was hesitant to fly into Benghazi immediately after the attack.)

In light of these events, it is understandable that the Obama regime wanted to lie and cover up the real purpose for the Ambassador's mission and the events surrounding his assassination. It is embarrassing for the Obama administration to have a similar "gun walking" scandal involving providing arms to rebel forces in Libya. Only this time it's not just guns but deadly missiles that has fallen into the hands of Al Qaida.

Can you say IMPEACHMENT?

on October 13,2012 | 03:16PM
tiki886 wrote:
Obama and Hilary provided weapons and missiles to the rebels to defeat the Gaddafi regime. Now these weapons have fallen into the hands of Al Qaida. oops. No wonder Obama and Hilary's State Dept are pointing fingers at each other and lying to cover up this scandal. The real S**t will hit the fan when Al Qaida uses one of these missiles to bring down American planes. Grilled by Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) about the instability in Libya and the growing al Qaeda threat following the U.S. intervention to topple dictator Moammar Gadhafi last year. Lt. Col. Andy Wood also testified that, "some 10,000 to 20,000 shoulder-fired missiles are missing from Libyan arsenals."
on October 13,2012 | 03:23PM
tiki886 wrote:
This information came to light on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 when the Committee of Oversight and Government Reform convened to hold hearings on the vulnerability and lack of proper protection for the US Embassy in Benghazi where 4 Americans were murdered including US Ambassador Chris Stevens.
on October 13,2012 | 05:08PM
Oye_Como_Va wrote:
And was elected VP. What that tell anyone?
on October 13,2012 | 01:17PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Thats a lame slogan. Both Berg and Romney are nuts for even caring about this.
on October 13,2012 | 08:22AM
tiki886 wrote:
It doesn't matter if Berg is for or against Romney. It's a business decision. Why alienate half of your audience? Whether Romney wins or lose, Berg will stand to lose half of his audience.

Companies like Chick Fil A and Whole Foods can pay a price for their public views as well as their private individual views, if you make them public. John Mackey is a libertarian, an adherent of Ayn Rand, a skeptic about climate change, a vegan, and the CEO of Whole Foods. It was a good thing that he was viewed as a 'right wing hippie', otherwise he would have lost a significant following of Left wingers.

on October 13,2012 | 08:52AM
tiki886 wrote:

Companies like Chick-Fil-A and Whole Foods can pay a price for their public views as well as their private individual views, if you make them public. John Mackey is a libertarian, an adherent of Ayn Rand, a skeptic about climate change, a vegan, and the CEO of Whole Foods. It was a good thing that he was viewed as a 'right wing hip pie', otherwise he would have lost a significant following of Left wingers.

on October 13,2012 | 08:53AM
tiki886 wrote:
In a similar circumstance, even Big Bird has given the Obama campaign the 'bird' for using his image and likeness to promote Obama's campaign. That's not plagiarisim, that's called copy right infringement.
on October 13,2012 | 09:31AM
Kapakahi wrote:
An article I read contained harsher criticisms of Romney than this article. Romney, the advocate for strong property rights, has repeatedly "borrowed" the intellectual property of a lot of writers and singers without ever seeking prior permission. Big News. Romney is a hypocrite!

Readers familiar with the Friday Night Lights show should object to Romney's attempt to equate himself with Coach Taylor. Taylor despised politicians, as is made clear in the show, for their insincerity and opportunism. He also resented the super-rich using their power to coerce regular folks into doing their bidding, as demonstrated in the long story arc about the rich kid whose dad was pressuring the Coach to use as quarterback. (No resemblamnce to Romney's relationship with HIS dad, of course).

At its heart, the series was not about football, but about our obligations to aim to be the best we can be because others are depending upon us, tempered by a recognition we still need to love and forgive each other for falling short, because EVERY character in the show--except maybe the super-rich guy-- was shown to have a good side. And Coach Taylor delighted in seeing the potential in kids and helping them achieve their potential. He did not write off 47% of the population as unworthy of respect.

No wonder the writer of Friday Night Lights was so offended my the Romney campaigns THEFT of his shows slogan.

on October 13,2012 | 09:17AM
tiki886 wrote:
Sort of like when Big Bird gave Obama the 'bird' for copyright infringement on his image and likeness?
on October 13,2012 | 09:35AM
gtracer66 wrote:
TV shows come and go. Phrases from them either make a difference or they are forgotten as are the shows themselves. Think about how many shows have come and gone over the years. Then think about how many memorable phrases you can think of from those long discontinued programs. Everybody remembers: "Book 'em Danno" ; "Beam me up Scotty" ' "Captain, I'm giving her all she's got" ; "To the moon Alice" ; "I'll be back" ; and of course " So are you feeling lucky". Does anybody use these phrases with footnotes as to what show they were take from? I don't think so. I think Berg was trying to make a political statement that he is against Romney and this gives him a way to get some attention. It's not that I'm such a Romney fan, but I don't think this will matter at all in a couple weeks whether it's true or not. In the grand scheme of this election cycle, this will be completely forgotten after the election, no matter who wins.
on October 13,2012 | 09:46AM
hawaiikone wrote:
My sentiments exactly, but the haters will rant on and on.
on October 13,2012 | 11:26AM
TheDunbar wrote:
Guess which political figure plagiarized the Kennedy brothers (with video of JFK and RFK)? Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIaALKHVrAA
on October 13,2012 | 09:32AM
tiki886 wrote:
When you run for the Presidency as Biden did in 1988, a lot of facts can be dug up. I like this one: As a part of the Kinnock controversy, it was revealed that Biden had been involved in a similar incident during his first year at Syracuse University School of Law in 1965. Biden initially received an “F” in an introductory class on legal methodology for writing a paper relying almost exclusively on a single Fordham Law Review article.

Where are Obama's transcripts?

on October 13,2012 | 10:00AM
tiki886 wrote:
If Obama disclosed his college transcripts it would probably show: "Choomin" wit da gang - "A"; American History - "F".
on October 13,2012 | 10:12AM
serious wrote:
tiki886--goodpoint, I never thought about it, but I wonder when/if he gets his presidental library in Hawaii if those grades, attendance records, all of the above will be displayed along with the First Lady's????
on October 13,2012 | 11:09AM
tiki886 wrote:
They are both products of Affirmative Action, so I really don't expect to see any transcripts for either of them made available to the public because it would be embarrassing. While Obama's opinions from being President of Harvard Law Review is missing, Politico tries to match up the contents of 8 dense volumes during Obama's tenure in 1990 and tries to match it up with passages from his speeches made over the years.

on October 13,2012 | 11:32AM
Oye_Como_Va wrote:
Nah, couldn't be true. They didn't do that someone else did or somting lah dat.
on October 13,2012 | 01:28PM
tiki886 wrote:
Hard to believe yah? Especially since we know his autobiography was ghost written by the unrepentant terrorist, Bill Ayres. Where do you think Obama's briefs, letters, opinions as President of Harvard Law Review may be stashed? Or did he write any?
on October 13,2012 | 02:00PM
gap1965 wrote:
Mr Berg, the football coach said the phrase not you. Nice try but you are no better than our lying incompetent president.
on October 13,2012 | 12:27PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
Although "Beam me up, Scotty" was never actually said by Captain Kirk on the show (you can actually check out the facts on this), the point is well taken. Romney's Bain Capital behavior will catch up with him. He says, on one hand, that China cheats. Well, back in the days with Bain Capital he was actually a part of the whole scheme. Is this an example of hypocracy? Yes, indeed. When Bain Capital collapsed he left all the people who worked for him with the bag. He had taken his fat cat pay and left everyone to deal with the collapse. If this is not enough evidence of his character, what is? The whole plagerising thing just goes hand in hand with his character. If he had any moral character, he would have asked for permission. It would have been excusable had he not had first hand experiance with property rights but he did. He knew that it was immoral to use someone else's work and use it as if it was his own or use it for his campaign regardless of the creator's wishes. In his formative years he cut the hair of a fellow student because he was gay. He cut the boy's hair as he was being held down and as he screamed for help. Romney claimed that he did not remember the incident. Wouldn't you think that such an incident would be remembered? if it is true that he could not remember such an act, he must have either done such cold hearted acts many times before that he could not count them or just simply is so cold hearted that he can't remember it. But rather than fessing up to it he just basically said he didn't remember it. Then there is his plan for our economy that economist have graded as bound for failure as it does not take into account a lot of things because he does not come out with specifics. And, at the same time he wants to raise spending on the military even as generals have said that we need to cut down on warships. Then there is the whole issue of his taxes. He refuses to give out his tax information which is something his father did not have a problem with when he ran for office. From the tax information that experts have looked at it was shown that he had manipulated his taxes in such a way that it would appear better for him when he ran for office. There is a moral issue with his scheme when it comes to taxes and you can check that out yourself. And no, I am not a paid Democrat PR person. I am just here to state my opinion and information that I feel is relevant to the issues. Those who attack, especially personal attacks, are often using them to lash out out of anger and have no factual basis to defend their ground. They will use twisted spin doctor logics to say that one thing is this because of that. Everyone has a right to their opinon. But you can tell which ones are just blowing smoke to cover the facts. They're the ones
on October 13,2012 | 02:14PM
tiki886 wrote:
You should go to jail for beating your children with the belt, you pervert!
on October 13,2012 | 02:40PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
...that personally attack the messenger and use slick twisted logics to say that because of one thing then the other must be true. And that is what those who like to twist the facts do as that is the only way that they can sway the others to agree. But we can see through all smoke and see the truth. Romney has something to hide and that is not what you want in a president. What else is he hiding beside his taxes?
on October 13,2012 | 02:17PM
tiki886 wrote:
The seriousness of your post is compromised by the stoopidity of your name.
on October 13,2012 | 02:41PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Are you serious? Try and investigate the "Brookfield properties" company. Try and read about Michele's brother the coach. Try and get any college transcripts from Obama, or the reasons behind the selective closings of GM dealerships. Try and discern the truth about what is happening and then see if you still have the audacity to bring up any perceived misdoings by Romney or Ryan. MSNBC can't be your only source of information. or comments like yours is the result..
on October 13,2012 | 03:39PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Your silence indicates you took my advice.
on October 13,2012 | 10:12PM
Ronin006 wrote:
on October 13,2012 | 03:55PM
on October 13,2012 | 03:56PM
tiki886 wrote:
New bumper sticker: "People died, so Obama lied!"
on October 13,2012 | 03:59PM