Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Trial rescheduled for suspect in UH Wonder concert fiasco

By Associated Press

POSTED:



A new trial date has been set for a North Carolina concert promoter accused of scamming the University of Hawaii out of $200,000 for a Stevie Wonder concert that never happened.

Jury selection is now scheduled to start April 9 at U.S. District Court in Hono­lulu. It was previously slated for late January. Attorneys for promoter Marc Hubbard and prosecutors agreed to the change last week.

Hubbard entered a plea of not guilty in November. He was released on $200,000 bail secured by property he owns.

He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

Authorities say Hubbard convinced a local promoter he had connections with a former Motown Records executive who could secure Wonder for an August fundraiser.

The school paid $200,000 as a deposit and began selling tickets, but later learned neither the singer nor his representatives had authorized the concert. UH hasn't been able to recover the money.

Another man accused of transporting the money as part of the deal has pleaded guilty and is cooperating with prosecutors. Sean Barriero, a 44-year-old British national who lives in Miami, is scheduled to be sentenced on May 2.

A special state Senate committee that investigated the university's handling of the bungled concert said the incident tarnished the university's reputation both within the state and nationally.

The committee said no one at the university looked into whether the agent was an authorized representative of the singer. The lawmakers also faulted a lack of oversight and communication in the school's athletic department, general counsel and disbursing office.

A UH task force reporting to the Board of Regents said in November the school allowed itself to be deceived because those involved in the financial transactions lacked judgment and failed to take responsibility.

The university reassigned athletic director Jim Donovan after the failed concert came to light. Donovan left the university altogether in mid-December to become athletic director at California State University at Fullerton.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(0)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates