Quantcast

Monday, September 01, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Newswatch

For Wednesday, June 29, 2011

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:



Sumitomo likely to appeal city's rejection of rail bid

Another losing bidder for the city's rail car contract is likely to file an appeal with the state Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, the company's vice president said Tuesday.

Sumitomo Corp. of America is reviewing the city's rejection of its bid protest. The contract was awarded to Ansaldo Honolulu. Gino Antoniello, Sumitomo's vice president of transportation systems, said "the likelihood of us not appealing is very, very small."

The other losing bidder, Bombardier Transportation, has said it will appeal. Both companies have until Thursday to submit a request for a hearing with the department's Office of Administrative Hearings.

The contract is to design, build, operate and maintain the rail cars through 2024. The city rejected bid protests last week, opting to stick with Ansaldo.

A day at the museum

People can celebrate the Independence Day weekend with an 1800s flavor Sunday when the Mission Houses Museum in Kakaako holds its July Fourth Weekend Pa‘ina from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Admission is $15 per family or $5 per person. For information or reservations, call 447-3914 or go to www.missionhouses.org.

NEIGHBOR ISLANDS

Fence around scarce trees almost done

KAILUA-KONA » A project to erect fencing in a remote part of Hawaii island is nearing completion to help protect endangered trees that are native to Hawaii.

West Hawaii Today reported Tuesday that workers were installing the final phase of fencing around a 275-acre dry-land forest near Waikoloa Village.

The 6-foot-high fences are to help protect uhiuhi trees from grazing goats.

There are fewer than 50 left in the wild; 10 of them are in the project area, and at least three are in surrounding areas.

The $245,000 pro­ject began last year.

Kauai County moves toward online bids

Kauai County officials are going online next month to seek bids for construction or purchases and post plans and other documents.

Documents related to bidding — solicitations, plans and specifications, addenda and awards — can soon be downloaded from the county website in a step toward a comprehensive approach to a Web-based procurement system, officials said.

"In response to concerns expressed by vendors about the county's bid process, we are rolling out phase one of an initiative that utilizes technology to streamline bid solicitations," said Mayor Bernard Carvalho Jr. "In addition to simplifying the process, the change is also expected to result in cost savings for all parties and a reduction in the use of paper."

The county contracted Box.net, an online content management and file storage resource, to facilitate the change and develop and maintain an interface with the Purchasing Division's website.





More From The Star-Advertiser

Newswatch

Newswatch

Newswatch




 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(0)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions


IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates