Saturday, November 28, 2015         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet


For Thursday, June 30, 2011

By Star-Advertiser staff


Sailboat freed from South Shore reef

A 45-foot ketch that ran aground Saturday in Maunalua Bay was removed from the reef Wednesday. The Queen Esther was dislodged about 5:20 p.m. and was anchored off Hawaii Kai in sufficiently deep water, the Coast Guard said.

After the sailboat ran around about 7:30 p.m. Saturday, the state Department of Land and Natural Resources gave the owner until this morning to remove it or the state would have done the job. The owner worked with a salvage expert to dislodge the vessel during high tide Wednesday.

Since Sunday, the Coast Guard had monitored the grounded vessel and said no fuel or other hazardous materials had leaked from it.

Trail due for repairs

The Diamond Head summit trail will be closed today at noon and for the rest of the day while a contractor uses a helicopter to fly in metal stairs and handrails to be installed at the lower lookout area. The trail will be reopened Friday at 6 a.m.

Hilo sets big celebration for Monday

Hawaii County will hold the 2011 Hilo Bay Blast on the Fourth of July at the Hilo Bayfront, ending with the Lehua Jaycees Fireworks Exhibition Finale at 8 p.m.

Free shuttles will run from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Parking will be available in the downtown parking area, the Afook Chinen Civic Auditorium and at the Hawaii County Aupuni Center.

Festivities include a barbecue and chili cookoff, rides, hot rods and drag racing vehicles display, musical performances, food vendors, children’s games and contests, a waterslide and jumping castle as well as line dancing and Zumba.

The Hawai‘i County Band will perform patriotic selections beginning at 7 p.m. Call 961-8706.

Pharmacy school earns accreditation

After five years of review, the College of Pharmacy at the University of Hawaii at Hilo has received national accreditation.

The board of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education voted Friday to award the college full accreditation for two years.

“We are able to provide a first-rate education for our students, but we will not be able to realize our dream of being a top-ranked college of pharmacy until permanent facilities are completed,” said John Pezzuto, dean of the college.

“I believe ACPE took a leap of faith in extending full accreditation as a result of strong commitments for our future development. So our work is not nearly done. They will be continuously checking on our progress.”

The college is the first school of pharmacy in the state and the Pacific region to become fully accredited by the agency.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions

Latest News/Updates