Thursday, November 26, 2015         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Police and Fire

For Tuesday, June 7, 2011

By Star-Advertiser staff


Man injured in fight at pier dies

A 26-year-old man who was critically injured during a Memorial Day fight at Heeia Kea Pier died Monday.

Police released on Friday the 28-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of first-degree assault pending investigation. Officers had responded to a large fight at 6 p.m. May 30 and found a man unconscious and with head injuries near the boat launch area. Police said they believe a man punched the victim, who fell and hit his head on the asphalt.

3 men caught with stolen copper

Police arrested three men walking through a Waianae Coast school campus who allegedly were carrying 400 pounds of stolen heavy-duty copper wiring.

Police said the 192 feet of wiring has a value of about $2,200 to $2,300.

Witnesses saw the three men walking through Maile Elementary School with the copper at 7:10 a.m. Monday, apparently heading to their car, police said.

Police had received a report of a nearby business, Maili Telecom Station, 87-380 Kulaaupuni St., being broken into with copper wire ripped out of the building.

Police arrived at the school and arrested a 35-year-old Waianae man and two men with no local address, ages 20 and 27, on suspicion of detaining stolen property and second-degree burglary.

William Alpeter of NAI Chaney Brooks said Maili Telecom owns the vacant building, which is for sale. The thieves stripped the 1 1/2-inch-thick cable, about an inch of which was copper, out of the conduit in the building, he said. The cable was used to power a 2,500-kilovolt-amp transformer. Maili Telecom had planned to install an undersea cable from the West Coast to Hawaii to Guam, but the project fell through, Alpeter said.

Missing hiker turns up safe at work

A lost hiker who had Honolulu firefighters searching the Manoa Falls area for hours Sunday afternoon walked to safety on his own — without telling his would-be rescuers, who renewed their efforts Monday morning.

The man went to work and did not alert the Fire Department that he was safe until 7:30 a.m., said Capt. Robert Main. The search for him had resumed at 5:45 a.m.

Two hikers told fire crews that they had heard a man calling for help and requesting an ambulance early Sunday afternoon. Fire search and rescue teams responded and also heard a man’s cries for help but were unable to locate anyone. The search was called off Sunday night due to darkness.

Main said the man apparently kept walking while he was calling for help.

“The lesson here is that if you call for help, stay put,” Main said.

It was unclear why the man had called for an ambulance.

The Fire Department helicopter landed numerous times Sunday at Manoa District Park and ferried search teams up to the trail.

Body of missing teen kayaker found

Hawaii County Fire Department rescue personnel on a fire helicopter recovered the body of a missing teenage kayaker near the Kapoho-Kumukahi Lighthouse.

The teenager was reported missing, and fire responded in minutes to the 2:20 p.m. call Monday.

The teen was found in water about 100 yards offshore, and a rescue swimmer retrieved the body and placed it in a rescue net that was brought in by helicopter.

More From The Star-Advertiser

3 men arrested in copper wire theft

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions