Saturday, April 19, 2014         


 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Heart/lung transplant patient from isles living in California


Question: What ever happened to Marita "Marie" Cruz, the 26-year-old Wahiawa woman who needed a heart and lung transplant in 2007 and was medically evacuated that year to Northern California?

Answer: Cruz, now 28, got her transplant and a new life in Fairfield, Calif.

After waiting on the transplant list for 18 months, Cruz received a new heart and lungs at Stanford University School of Medicine on April 14, 2009.

The following October, she married Jesse Ferrari and now goes by the name Marie Ferrari -- "like the car," she said.

She continues to work as an insurance agent, but in December will graduate with a master's degree in human resource management from Chapman University in Southern California.

Ferrari was born with a ventricular septal defect, commonly known as a hole in the heart, and relied on an oxygen tank 24 hours a day. The condition left Ferrari with a smoky, Marilyn Monroe-like voice.

But since the surgery, Ferrari now has the voice -- and body -- of a teenager.

"Everything changed after my transplant, not just my voice," she said via telephone from California. "I actually look 14 now. I have no idea why. My doctors wondered about that, too."

Ferrari was never a runner but has since completed three 10-kilometer races.

There were some medical complications.

While recovering from the operation, Ferrari said she was medically dead for seven minutes and saw her dead grandmother; her best friend, who died while waiting for a heart transplant; and a Hispanic woman with dark, curly hair and large, bulging eyes whom Ferrari did not recognize.

Ferrari would learn that her heart and lungs had come from a 25-year-old woman named Lupita Lopez, who died of an aneurysm while Lopez was eight months pregnant with a son.

"I think that other woman I saw during those seven minutes was Lupita," Ferrari said.

A year after her operation, the Ferraris invited Lopez's family, including Lopez's 1-year-old son, to their home in Fairfield for dinner.

"The boy looked at our house and was screaming out, 'Momma, Momma, Momma,'" Ferrari said. "That scared me. I held him and he was really, really comfortable with me. He couldn't stop looking into my eyes and he was putting his head against my chest where my heart is. I guess we had a connection there."

People in Hawaii and California contributed $50,000 toward Ferrari's medical expenses. She donated that money to the National Foundation for Transplants.

"My insurance paid most of my costs," Ferrari said. "I'm working and I can pay for my own stuff. But I know there's a lot of people who really need it. So I distributed it to all the other transplant patients."

This update was written by Dan Nakaso. You can write to us at What Ever Happened To, Honolulu Star-Advertiser, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., Suite 7-210, Honolulu 96813; call 529-4747; or e-mail cityeditors@staradvertiser.com.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Latest News/Updates