Friday, July 25, 2014

ROAD CONDITIONS

Print   Email   Comment | View 8 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

District 8: District's streets mostly satisfactory

By Marcel Honoré / mhonore@staradvertiser.com

LAST UPDATED: 07:04 p.m. HST, Feb 13, 2014

District 8 residents live in a region with the highest share of satisfactory roads and the lowest share of substandard roads on the island.

DISTRICT 8

» Includes Pearl City, Pearl City Peninsula, Waimalu, Crestview, Waipio Gentry and parts of Waipahu

» Represented by Councilman Breene Harimoto (Email)

More than 81 percent of District 8's city roads were rated "fair" or better, while just 18.6 percent were "poor" or worse, based on a city survey completed late last year.

Virtually no city road segments in District 8 failed — only 0.11 out of 440 total lane-miles received that grade.

That also easily gave District 8 the lowest percentage of failed roads, at just .03 percent.

But the district still had some bad city roads. More than 34 lane-miles were found to be "poor," more than 30 were "very poor" and more than 16 were "serious" — a grade above failing.

YOUR COMMENTS

Star-Advertiser readers sound off on island roads via Facebook, online story comments and emailed feedback:

"Waste of money, that bean counter study. Every normal driver knew that our roads are a catastrophe, a scandal and a monument to incompetent and irresponsible people in charge, and a public that for too long did not riot over it."

Grimbold

————————————

"Here's a short list of roadwork that needs to be done. Some are city, some state. 1. Meheula in Mililani is really, really bad. You'd think a fairly new community like Mililani would have good roads but that's not the case. 2. Right lane of freeway from Punahou off-­ramp through airport. State made weak attempt to fix it but like I said, it's weak. 3. Kam Highway in Pearl City. That whole stretch needs to be redone. I will bookmark when repairs took place and when the next pothole appears. That should tell you how good the repair was."

Publicbraddah

————————————

"The potholes are so bad on the North Shore we don't call them pot holes we call them ‘swimming pool,' and why is it the NS always gets left out when it comes to fixing them?"

Stan Espinosa

THE PAVEMENT CONDITION INDEX

To rate how badly damaged a road’s surface is, many cities including Honolulu use a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers-designed point system. Roads are scored between 0 and 100, with 0 being the worst and 100 being the best. The score is calculated mainly using three criteria: the type(s) of damage, how severe the damage is and how extensive it is.

Because it’s a score, there could be different types of damage seen in different categories. Here’s a general idea of what drivers can expect.

Click to enlarge the chart.

Click to enlarge the chart.

THE WORST ROADS IN DISTRICT 8

Some roads may have been repaired since the City and County of Honolulu conducted its survey in 2012. An asterisk (*) denotes city road segments that are not listed on the city's repaving schedule. Many of those roads are still in the design phase and will go out to bid for construction within a year, officials say.

Road From To Grade Scheduled for repaving
Hugh Street Road A End Failed Not available *
Kuala Street Kamehameha Highway Waimano Home Road Serious 2014
Kaahele Street Leialii Street Mauka end Serious Construction ongoing
Acacia Road Kamehameha Highway Military guard shack Serious 2014
Kaahele Street Moanalua Road Keikaialii Street Serious 2014
Papolo Place Anounou Street Dead end Serious Not available *

COMMENTS

toomuchpilikia wrote:
I guess it depends on you define SATISFACTORY?
on April 2,2013 | 04:36AM
Wazdat wrote:
Average is about all this state can strive for and even then it can't keep up. SAD
on April 2,2013 | 06:25AM
1coconut wrote:
This whole study is just smoke and mirrors. Someone has to view the film of the roads and decide what is what. Its all just another example of the pea and shell game. Our money would be better spent if they just fixed the darn roads and quit wasting money on stupid studies.
on April 2,2013 | 08:26AM
wiliki wrote:
This seems good to me. The City has these lesser used streets under control. What is the problem? I live here and don't see bad roads when I drive.
on April 2,2013 | 11:15AM
fieldofstones wrote:
I would like to see the "Poor" and "Very Poor" roads on the database. I only see "Failing" and "Serious" on the list. I've actually been on Laauhuahua Way ("Serious") and it's tame compared to (for example) Komo Mai Dr. from Waimano Home Rd. to the end of Children's House school (not on the database). What about Hoomalu St. from Hookanike St. to Komo Mai Dr.?
on April 2,2013 | 12:28PM
fieldofstones wrote:
More than 16 are "Serious"? So why does the database only show 4 or 5 roads in Pearl City?
on April 2,2013 | 09:24PM
Imagen wrote:
You have no idea how much I was waiting on this report, for my district. Ka'ahele Street has been in disrepair for as long as I can remember. I live in Aiea and commute daily to my office on Piikoi Street. To make my point; my daughter's AYSO soccer teams practiced up at Nahele (Newtown) and Ka'ahele (Royal Summit) parks during her U10 (Under 10 yrs old) days; she is now 27 years old. Please, I mean no disrespect to any other district, but I often wondered why a road leading up to one of the more expensive properties on this island is not improved frequently, much less improved at all. I drive up and down Ka'ahele Street EVERYDAY, and there have NOT been ANY improvements ever! Mark Takai held a town hall meeting a couple of years ago and pledged that improvements to Ka'ahele would commence in the summer of 2012...well here it is the spring of 2013 and still nothing - now the article says improvements will start in 2014????? And to Breene Harimoto? You wanted rail so badly that you neglected my needs and contributed to the depreciation of my vehicles. You had aided and abetted the transfer of public funds to your rail project which will NOT do anything it was intended to do, except promote TOD's. You and Takai lost my vote. Oh, and by the way, please do NOT give yourselves any pay raises, because you certainly do not deserve one, much less my vote, which appears to not mean anything to you. Lame.....
on April 2,2013 | 01:30PM
marc96789 wrote:
Where is the reporting on major thoroughfares that have higher speed limits? Degraded conditions on residential roads is a nuisance, but at least reaction time is longer due to low speed. Hitting potholes at higher speed limits is where vehicle damage is sustained; how about reporting on these types as you cover the neighborhoods?
on April 2,2013 | 06:31PM