Quantcast
  

Friday, April 18, 2014         

CHRISTOPHER DEEDY MURDER TRIAL


 Print   Email   Comment | View 403 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Testimony turns to race

Witnesses recount the use of slang in events preceding the fatal shooting of Kollin Elderts

By Ken Kobayashi and Sarah Zoellick

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:25 p.m. HST, Jul 31, 2013


Racial overtones surfaced during State Department special agent Christopher Deedy's murder trial Thursday with testimony from a McDonald's restaurant customer who supposedly was racially harassed and a fellow agent who testified that he told Deedy some "locals" don't like mainlanders.

Michel Perrine was the customer who, according to the defense, was bullied by Kollin Elderts to trigger a chain of events that led to Elderts' death in the 2011 shooting at the Waikiki fast-food restaurant.

Perrine testified he had been drinking and doesn't remember his exchange with Elderts, other than Elderts saying "haole."

Ben Finkelstein, a State Department agent who arrived in Hono­lulu on the same flight as Deedy to provide security for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference held here, said he talked to Deedy about "haoles" and "locals" and cautioned him to stay away from certain places at night.

Finkelstein said Deedy told him he would be armed.

Early the next morning on Nov. 5, 2011, the off-duty Deedy and Elderts got into an altercation at the McDonald's restaurant on Kuhio Avenue that ended with the agent fatally shooting Elderts in the chest.

Deedy, 29, who was here to provide security for the international conference, is charged with second-degree murder and a related firearm charge in the shooting, which happened at about 2:45 a.m.

Elderts was a Kailua resident.

The prosecution contends that Deedy was driven by alcohol and inexperience when he fired the fatal shot, one of three the agent fired. Deedy's defense is that he fired in self-defense to ward off Elderts, who had become angry after the agent checked to see if Perrine was all right.

Perrine took the stand on the trial's fourth day and was the first witness to testify about what he saw and heard at the restaurant.

Currently a resident of Washington state, Perrine said he had been living here for less than two months before the shooting.

Perrine didn't know either Elderts or Deedy, and said he drank three shots of tequila and a pitcher of beer before he went to the fast-food restaurant on his way home.

He acknowledged his memory of the events is spotty.

He testified he did not feel threatened, "shrugged off" Elderts' comments, walked away and didn't feel a need for any help.

Perrine said he remembers Deedy going to Elderts' table and that the two started talking.

"I tried not to pay attention as much as possible," he said. "I didn't want to be involved any more than what I already was."

Perrine said he saw Deedy and Elderts grappling and the agent falling to the floor.

He said he remembers seeing the agent lift his shirt and that he saw a holster and gun.

"It was scary," he testified.

He said he doesn't remember hearing gunshots and didn't know anyone was shot until afterward.

"I can see somebody standing up and saying something, but to shoot somebody — I didn't see a reason for that," he testified.

Finkelstein, who said he was Deedy's friend, testified he didn't think Deedy was armed when they went out shopping before their talk the afternoon of Nov. 4, 2011.

The agent testified he told Deedy that Hawaii is a beautiful place and that a vast majority of the people are friendly, but said some people he described as "locals" dislike federal government agents and mainlanders.

Finkelstein said he also distinguished the word "haole" from "f—— haole," which he likened to a highly derogatory racial slur.

Deedy went to Chinatown that night for First Friday festivities and ended up early the next morning at the McDonald's restaurant.

According to the defense, Elderts told Deedy during the confrontation, "F— you, haole."

On Thursday, Circuit Judge Karen Ahn unsealed the McDonald's surveillance video recording of the altercation and shooting.

Deedy's defense filed the recording with the court last year, but Ahn granted the prosecution's request to keep the video sealed until the trial. In doing so, the judge overruled objections by the defense and the news media, which argued court filings are public and should not be kept confidential.

Ahn said the release would lead to pretrial publicity that might taint prospective jurors and jeopardize rights to a fair trial.

Parts of the video were shown to the jury this week and are likely to be replayed as both sides focus on images they think will help their case.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 403 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(403)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Ldub20_Owl316 wrote:
I hope hapaguy doesn't take what the prosecution says as facts.
on July 12,2013 | 01:39AM
pcman wrote:
IRT Ldub on prosecution. The prosecution has the upper hand in this case. It's illegal to carry a concealed weapon in Honolulu without authorization by the Chief of Police. Words and verbal harassment are not grounds for shooting someone. In Hawaii, if you think you are going to lose a fist fight you have to walk away, unless the perpetrator is in your home. If I were the Elderts family, I would be preparing a civil suit against Deedy and the State Department for some big bucks..
on July 12,2013 | 06:59AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
It is not illegal. Look up the laws. Federal agents are authorized to carry. The chief has no say since it is a federal law.
on July 12,2013 | 07:16AM
hanalei395 wrote:
And authorized to drink and bar-hop. "It is not illegal. Look up the laws".
on July 12,2013 | 12:25PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Not choosing sides yet, but the 2004 LEOSA act allows federal agents the right to carry, regardless of state laws. Off duty or retired. I believe there's some special rules regarding designated "gun-free" zones requiring local permitting, but my memory, which comes and goes, is doing more going these days.
on July 12,2013 | 09:38AM
Nevadan wrote:
Makes no sense.
on July 12,2013 | 05:39PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Wouldn't be the first law that didn't.
on July 12,2013 | 06:59PM
slc3755 wrote:
The tape clearly shows Deedy approaching Elderts as Elderts was siting down at a table, threatening no one. That is the key. Deedy was the aggressor.
on July 12,2013 | 06:36PM
benz wrote:
The roles switch later in the tape.
on July 14,2013 | 01:33PM
hapaguy wrote:
I would trust our HPD's investigation and our Prosecutors Office over Deedy's lying defense attorney any day!
on July 12,2013 | 11:43AM
hikine wrote:
Haole boy vs moke local, and life goes on.
on July 12,2013 | 02:49AM
honokai wrote:
not usually as simple as A vs B ---- it is normally A vs B with A and B full of alcohol, testosterone, attitude
on July 12,2013 | 05:15AM
allie wrote:
hugs her honokai for keeping it real
on July 12,2013 | 06:17AM
sak wrote:
With Punks it's usually A vs B, B, & B!
on July 12,2013 | 04:24PM
allie wrote:
trouble is, Elderts was white and not a native at all.
on July 12,2013 | 06:49AM
8082062424 wrote:
sorry allie Elderts mom is white his dad is not. he is a local plain and simple. in fact just like your half white
on July 12,2013 | 07:05AM
allie wrote:
but Portuguese is Euro. He is white. White on white violence. Greater violence is between Micronesians and Hawaiians. Far more.
on July 12,2013 | 07:50AM
8082062424 wrote:
sorry Portuguese on this island do not see them self as white go ask any one of them they have there own culture and are very proud of it, . and most see them selves as Mediterranean. let not forget white is a color and most Portuguese are dark skined
on July 12,2013 | 08:10AM
Grimbold wrote:
If you tell a European that Portuguese are non whites they laugh at you and recommend you see a shrink..
on July 12,2013 | 07:06PM
hanalei395 wrote:
aliie is getting "far more" ridiculous. If there is any further to go.
on July 12,2013 | 08:10AM
BIG wrote:
yep
on July 12,2013 | 02:58PM
8082062424 wrote:
Portugal and Spain are country that lay side to side .would you call some one from Spain white? i think they also would have a problem with that
on July 12,2013 | 08:23AM
allie wrote:
Spain and Portugal are white. Certainly. Elderts looks white to me. US Census counts all Portuguese as white Europeans. But whatever his skin color-looks white to me-it is sad that he is gone. It was a needless tragedy.
on July 12,2013 | 09:56AM
8082062424 wrote:
your not only dense your blind. your so lost it sad
on July 12,2013 | 10:05AM
eljay wrote:
Portuguese are Caucasians..
on July 12,2013 | 01:55PM
BIG wrote:
Hawaii allie
on July 12,2013 | 02:59PM
tiki886 wrote:
Portagees are the white "pollacks" of the mainland thanks to Frank Delima.
on July 12,2013 | 07:26PM
BIG wrote:
but portugese is Euro.....come on now...we in hawaii
on July 12,2013 | 02:58PM
gobows wrote:
wrong Allie....wrong.
on July 12,2013 | 08:45AM
lowtone123 wrote:
uh Allie...it is not about the color of skin. The defense is bringing up local versus foreigner.
on July 12,2013 | 09:55AM
hanalei395 wrote:
A foreigner who thought the situation he saw before starting the fight ...was not correct.
on July 12,2013 | 11:13AM
joyce1 wrote:
Deedy is an Irish name and Elderts is a German name. So it was a German vs Irish crime. Both caucasian, not Portuguese.
on July 12,2013 | 10:45AM
allie wrote:
ok..yeah both are white. Check the USA census
on July 12,2013 | 12:10PM
turbolink wrote:
You must really get your rocks off with race baiting comments.
on July 12,2013 | 12:34PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Just for the last two days ...."Portuguese"...... "Micronesians" ...."Tongans". And that's besides, as usual, mentioning in her own way, her hatred for Hawaiians.
on July 12,2013 | 01:15PM
allie wrote:
huh?
on July 12,2013 | 01:57PM
turbolink wrote:
allie, do you know how to keep a compensated blogger in suspense?
on July 12,2013 | 02:33PM
Aquarius1 wrote:
Does it have rocks? May be only deflated impotent empty sacks.
on July 12,2013 | 01:44PM
Grimbold wrote:
The Elderts and the Martin case make me scratch my head: Why is it that punks cannot beat down people anymore without being shot at?
on July 12,2013 | 07:04PM
false wrote:
Perrine sure puts the "color" on the event of the evening that triggered Deedy. The video supports Perrine's verification that he didn't make anything out of Elderts' banter and Elderts certainly wasn't moving into Perrine's space. Deedy was set up by his Friend? to be wary of locals. We are always wary of the smart guys all around us. Deedy was just primed to look for trouble and he found it. He made it. He lived out the whole action. He is the problem.
on July 12,2013 | 03:39AM
palani wrote:
Disagree, and the headline is misleading. It sure appears that Elderts initiated the confrontation, and was verbally abusive to Deedy, as well as other customers. Tragic outcome, yes, but sometimes respect comes from the barrel of a gun.
on July 12,2013 | 05:12AM
mokebla wrote:
Palani you need to know the facts, under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a no no while carrying a conceal weapon. It was a set up from the get go. Deedy was ready to react instead of responding like an officer would do and identifying himself as an officer and he's armed. Like I said before HPD drop the ball when they didn't give Deedy a breath test after the event like they supposed to, then we wouldn't have this trail.
on July 12,2013 | 05:40AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Actually, the law states that he can carry and consume alcohol as long as he is not impaired. The prosecution cannot prove that. Elderts was drunk and high and choose to fight a guy with a gun.
on July 12,2013 | 06:52AM
gobows wrote:
Deedy kicked Elderts first. Then shot him in the end. There's going to be a price to pay for that. Instigator should face a penalty.
on July 12,2013 | 08:46AM
allie wrote:
I agree..Manslaughter makes sense.
on July 12,2013 | 09:57AM
RingRing wrote:
Just wondering Kraised, since you seem to know so many law enforcement officials, why aren't they allowed to show up for work smelling like alcohol? Are LEO able to drink till two and show up for work packing at six am? I THINK NOT! There are guidlines about that. You should find out what they are. . .How about the airline pilot? How about TheBus driver? OK, OK we get it. He was not found to be legally impaired because he was smart and refused the test. He was however, very definitely under the influence of alcohol and if he was called in to work, he himself would have very definitely told his supervisor that he had been drinking and therefore not able to legally perform his duties. If the FBI or HPD wouldn't allow him to be on duty in the condition he was in, why are you supporting his ability to have and use his gun even though it may have been TECHNICALLY legal?
on July 12,2013 | 11:42AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Policy and legality are not the same thing. The rest of your rant is nonsense and has nothing to do with the case. The prosecution has to prove that he was impaired which they will have a hard time doing. It doesn't matter if he couldn't show up to work because that's a non-issue.
on July 12,2013 | 12:56PM
RingRing wrote:
Kraised. . . Sorry but it WILL have to do with the case because it will certainly be in the minds of the jurors. They know he was under the influence and that the LEO profession and many others where life is on the line would not allow somebody to "operate" while "under the influence" which he most certainly was. . . Legally he was able to carry. Yeah we got that. Was his "professional" judgement impared? Absolutely, which is why society does not let people in his condition work while under the influence. Oh you betcha it'll matter! It's got everything to do with the case weather stated or unstated. . .
on July 12,2013 | 02:37PM
RingRing wrote:
And they are "trained" to refuse an alcohol test, especially if they know there is a chance they would be found to be legally intoxicated. . . The anecdotal evidence and just plane common sense with regard to weather or not he was impaired will allow the jury to "know" that deedy had no business having a gun on him at that time.
on July 12,2013 | 11:19AM
kiragirl wrote:
He refused to take a breath/blood test because he was not able to make a phone call.
on July 12,2013 | 07:24AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Did Deedy identify himself as a fed agent?
on July 12,2013 | 08:11AM
false wrote:
Really, a gun is the way to RESPECT. We were never respected historically and that's where this all the started. One nail for how many pigs? Natives everywhere were denigrated. The N word came from the continent. Man's inhumanity to man started somewhere and from many reports Pacific people were friendly. Elderts was an example of the history of influences over time. The gun doesn't make history right. It just perpetuates the wrongs.
on July 12,2013 | 05:42AM
allie wrote:
partially true. But racism haunts us all. Natives are not themselves innocent.
on July 12,2013 | 06:18AM
udabest wrote:
some whites are biased toward blacks. some germans were biased toward jews. some japanese were biased toward koreans....and so on and on.... as a whole, haole prejudice is overblown in our petrie dish in the pacific. DO AS THE DUKE....LIVE ALOHA!
on July 12,2013 | 07:13AM
allie wrote:
we Mandans accept you all for whAT you are
on July 12,2013 | 01:58PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Your use of the "H" word is offensive - you have no Aloha.
on July 12,2013 | 06:56PM
turbolink wrote:
Understatement! Go to the head of your class as the number one offender.
on July 12,2013 | 01:22PM
bluemoki wrote:
Verbal abuse is not life-threatening and is not a reason to shoot someone.
on July 12,2013 | 06:02AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
But attacking a guy who's armed is. Look at the part of the video when Deedy has his arm out stopping Elderts and is reaching for his gun. That is a reason to shoot someone.
on July 12,2013 | 06:54AM
gobows wrote:
That shouldnt be a reason to SHOOT ANYONE. Is Deedy's life in DANGER? Does Elderts have a WEAPON?
on July 12,2013 | 10:40AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Someone is going to shoot you and you try to get the gun out of his hand for your protection, gives him the right to lawfully shoot you because you were trying to live? Huh?
on July 12,2013 | 11:54AM
blkdrgn wrote:
Just curious. Would you rush a cop that showed you his gun?
on July 12,2013 | 12:49PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
A sober cop, with a badge and uniform, no I wouldn't rush him. A unidentified drunk with red eyes and slurred speech standing over me, lecturing me, taunting me, then kicking me? I would defend myself.
on July 12,2013 | 03:29PM
Mypualani wrote:
Would this cop be drunk and making threats? in plain clothes? um Deedy didn't show him the gun. get real and get white.
on July 12,2013 | 03:45PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Elderts attacked Deedy. And yes, it does give you the right to shoot. Would you take the chance of losing the gun and having it turned on you?
on July 12,2013 | 01:12PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Kailua, das why the kind guys from the mainland, the second amendment guys, they like pack because usually they cannot man to man defend themselves. So they escalate to deadly force. The number one excuse to shoot an unarmed person? He was going take my gun.
on July 12,2013 | 03:33PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
There is no such thing as man to man. People die and are seriously injured in fist fights all the time. People like to pack to defend themselves.
on July 12,2013 | 03:43PM
Mypualani wrote:
No Deedy attacked Elderts and in the end he took Elderts life, I love how you people leave out the things that fool Deedy did. But for him going up and acting like a Dumb arrogant dimwit armed with a gun, this would not have happened.
on July 12,2013 | 03:48PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Look at this picture. Please tell me how Deedy is attacking Elderts. Elderts choose to escalate the situation from this point on and go after a weapon. http://imgur.com/ixl9mCS
on July 12,2013 | 07:32PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: Look at this picture. Please tell me how Deedy is attacking Elderts. Elderts choose to escalate the situation from this point on and go after a weapon. http://imgur.com/ixl9mCS

Are you serious?! Did you post the wrong picture by mistake?

Because that photo shows an unarmed man standing with his arms by his side, while Deedy is committing assault and battery by shoving him in the chest and pulling a concealed weapon from behind his back.

That is about the most incriminating photo of Deedy you could have possibly posted.


on July 13,2013 | 06:37AM
hanalei395 wrote:
"Respect comes from the barrel of a gun". ... What someone with a superior attitude, complex, would think about another person, who thinks this person is "inferior", and shows no "respect".
on July 12,2013 | 06:05AM
false wrote:
Mahalo mokebla, bluemoki and hanalei, You said it well.
on July 12,2013 | 06:08AM
allie wrote:
as did I..and I am the only truly indigenous native American in here.
on July 12,2013 | 09:58AM
false wrote:
Really, tita, time to go home forever. So lame. You are part mandan something. What's so Native about that? As long as koko hawaii runs in the veins, natives of Hawaiki live on.
on July 12,2013 | 01:46PM
allie wrote:
what a silly comment
on July 12,2013 | 01:58PM
tiki886 wrote:
It was a silly comment since both Deedy and Elderts had no Hawaiian Koko.
on July 12,2013 | 07:32PM
Mypualani wrote:
Very Well said. Deedy's actions that night was not those of a trained sober officer.
on July 12,2013 | 04:02PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Too many people will disagree but I agree with you. Elderts wanted to fight and choose to attack. If you want to fight you have to be willing to deal with the consequences such as fighting an armed agent and getting shot. Life goes on. People of Hawaii need to realize that you cannot just go around punching people and "scrap" when you feel like it. Everyone knows Elderts type. He was running his mouth and causing trouble and no one wanted to confront him until the off duty agent who was packing choose to.
on July 12,2013 | 06:51AM
hanalei395 wrote:
"until the 'off duty agent' who was packing" ...... (and thinking: this inferior local talked too much).
on July 12,2013 | 07:16AM
waikane75 wrote:
Deedy was antogonizing Elderts if you watch the video. Elderts was all smiles at the couter and then he went to sit down to wait for his food. Deedy approached Elderts while he was sitting at his table. At that point, I can bet that Deedy was looking for a fight and calling out Elderts. There was no other reason for Deedy to have any contact with Elderts. Deedy felt empowered because he had a gun and he wanted to put Elderts in his place. If you continue to watch the video closely, there is a woman who actually tries to calm Deedy while he is having words with Elderts. Even the security guard seems to be calming down Deedy and trying to get him to back away from Elderts.
on July 12,2013 | 09:16AM
false wrote:
I'm not taking Deedy's side but you don't know this. Pure speculation.
on July 12,2013 | 09:46AM
waikane75 wrote:
Really False? Try reading half of the comments that you post. You got something against local guys?
on July 14,2013 | 09:28AM
false wrote:
True. Many of the local boys have to have this tough guy image and be a "bad boy" for the girls. Take a look when your out and about just watch their behavior. Better yet just look at pictures that run in the dailies of parties and events the got to hold up the green bottles and show their stuff.
on July 12,2013 | 09:45AM
allie wrote:
I have said the same. I work in Waikiki at night and see a lot of this kind of behavior. Generally the guys leave me alone as acting up to a female at a cash resister is not really showing off. But our Chinese owner now as a burly guard at the door and the showing off has been reduced. Too bad McDonald's failed to keep a safely run business late at night. I hope the Elderts family sues.
on July 12,2013 | 10:00AM
turbolink wrote:
Another day, alllie tries to keep the spotlight on her outsized ego. You've said this everyday now, move on.
on July 12,2013 | 12:38PM
PTF wrote:
I agree false.Many young local boys think they're MMA fighters. Many branded with tattoos with "bad boy" image.
on July 12,2013 | 10:57AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
False, actually it not about local boys, but about all young boys with liquor. Marines have bar fights allege time. So do army and navy guys. So do athletes. How many drunk military use the phrase " These hands were trained to kill". It's all about young testorones.
on July 12,2013 | 11:58AM
allie wrote:
agree..and I call them all "locals"
on July 12,2013 | 12:14PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
No they don't. You're being disingenuous if you really believe that local boys don't like to fight and act tough.
on July 12,2013 | 12:41PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
I suspect ignorance as opposed to disingenuous. This poster has made comments in the past that suggest he is not originally from Hawaii.
on July 12,2013 | 06:40PM
false wrote:
Males do "posturing" regardless of ethnicity. They are not far from the Pandas, Tigers and Lions or Buffaloes. They all put on the "act" for the show. Who listens to that? Well, you can bet we all will to make sure an Agent isn't Packing in the crowd.
on July 12,2013 | 01:49PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
People in Hawaii like to fight. It's considered normal and part of the culture. Let's not try and twist it and say it isn't.
on July 12,2013 | 02:21PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: People in Hawaii like to fight. It's considered normal and part of the culture. Let's not try and twist it and say it isn't"

Apparently so do people from the mainland. Elderts was sitting down waiting for his order when Deedy approached him, started an arguement and then assaulted him with a kick to the chest. You are the one who keeps claiming fists fights are deadly, yet Deedy is the one who clearly started the fight.

Elderts showed surprising restraint initially. When Deedy shoved him again and pulled his pistol out and start shooting wildly in crowded restaurant, it was reasonable that Elderts would fear for his life and attempt to disarm the man shooting at him at close range. It might to have been the best course of action but by then the dangerous and out of control Deedy had limited his options.


on July 13,2013 | 06:48AM
hapaguy wrote:
fasle your statement says more about you than it does us local boys. Scared much?.......
on July 12,2013 | 12:18PM
twitter6 wrote:
Yes green bottles and driving like animals on the street. Simple solution, these guys need to lbehave and act their age and not their shoe size. All about me, myself and I and lack of respect. Very sad
on July 12,2013 | 02:21PM
false wrote:
Kailuaraised better not go out shopping, because we are all looking to have a knock down with someone out there. Can't believe the IQ of generalizations people make. Are they really conscious. All the hours spent on this rock and probably can count fights in a life time on one hand. What are you people living and where?
on July 12,2013 | 04:30PM
gobows wrote:
Deedy KICKED Elderts FIRST. What did he expect Elderts to do? IT SEEMS like Deedy wanted to FIRE HIS GUN that night.
on July 12,2013 | 10:42AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
The kick isn't the issue. The issue is when Elderts is posturing at Deedy and Deedy is drawing his weapon. Elderts went on the offensive.
on July 12,2013 | 11:09AM
hapaguy wrote:
The kick isn't the issue? That's ridiculous! The other guy strikes you first and you can't defend yourself? Is that what your trying to say?
on July 12,2013 | 11:34AM
blkdrgn wrote:
The question should be, should Elderts have not retaliated back or should Deedy have not defended himself after Elderts attacked him? Hmm, how about Deedy not kicking Elderts or Elderts should not have been bullying people. How about they both not have been drinking or Elderts also not loaded on cocain. Maybe they should have went Jack in the Box.
on July 12,2013 | 01:03PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Deedy and Elderts were separated after the first scuffle. Elderts was no longer defending himself. They were both separated and Elderts went on the attack. You can see Deedy posturing with his hand out and reaching for his weapon when Elderts came at him.
on July 12,2013 | 01:24PM
8082062424 wrote:
why is the kick not the issue . that assault so why is it not a issue .
on July 12,2013 | 12:02PM
MKN wrote:
@8082062424: It's not the issue because they didn't charge Deedy with assault. They charged him with murder. If they had bothered to charge Deedy with assault, then they would probably find him guilty of that, but that's not what happened.
on July 12,2013 | 02:01PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Look at this still shot from the surveillance. Deedy is clearly trying to get Elderts to stop and back off. Elderts choose to attack from this point on. http://imgur.com/ixl9mCS
on July 12,2013 | 07:34PM
RingRing wrote:
My guess is that you were bullied as a kid and maybe still as an adult in Kailua. This Deedy character seems to be your knight in shining armor.
on July 12,2013 | 11:25AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Not really. I was never bullied and I get by just fine in my adult life. It seems you like to support the local boy despite his poor decision making skills. I just support gun rights and self defense.
on July 12,2013 | 12:43PM
hapaguy wrote:
After Deedy started it with his front kick to Elderts stomach, they separated then you can see Deedy's friend, Adam Gutowski, come from the right of the video and attack Elderts. At that point it was two against one! Elderts was within his right to defend himself! Deedy moved forward and Elderts can be seen pushing Deedy back. That's when the cowardly Deedy pulled his gun and shot Elderts to death in cold blood.....
on July 12,2013 | 01:53PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
At thirty seconds you clearly see Deedy and Elderts facing each other and not in an altercation. Deedy is reaching for his weapon and Elderts goes on the offensive to attack.
on July 12,2013 | 02:26PM
Usagi336 wrote:
Fact is Deedy should not have been partying and packing. He didn't have to draw his gun, Kollin wasn't armed. Fight him like a man, which he clearly wasn't. Just a gun packing coward. Even the guy who got harassed said that Kollin should not have been shot and you still think he deserved it. Man I hope you don't encounter an armed drunk off duty LEO who hates people from Kailua.
on July 12,2013 | 02:06PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
There is no such thing as fighting like a man. It's a stupid to think that there is nobility in fighting. It doesn't matter if someone is armed or not. People die in fist fights.
on July 12,2013 | 02:25PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "There is no such thing as fighting like a man. It's a stupid to think that there is nobility in fighting. It doesn't matter if someone is armed or not. People die in fist fights."

If I understand you correctly, you seem to be saying that it was quite reasonable for Elderts to fear for his life when the arguementive and violent Deedy first assaulted him with a kick to his chest. That move can break ribs, puncture lungs and even stop the heart.


on July 13,2013 | 06:54AM
hapaguy wrote:
What I see in the video is this. Elderts sitting down minding his own business and Deedy confronting him. Deedy striking the first blow by front kicking Elderts while Jessica West if trying to push Deedy away from Elderts. Elderts standing by the ATM the whole time not moving forward to engage AT ALL. Gutowski comes over and scuffles with Elderts, who is still standing by the ATM, while West is restraining Deedy. Deedy moving around West to join in with Gutowski, two against one, on Elderts. Another person (Elderts friend?) joins in to help Elderts and those two go out the side door. Elderts knocks Deedy down and then goes to help his friend with Gutowski. Deedy gets up and approaches Elderts. Elderts doesn't back down (his right to defend himself) and either pushes or punched Deedy who then pulls out his gun and kills Elderts.
on July 12,2013 | 02:50PM
RingRing wrote:
No, actually I despise any puffy, arrogant, tough-guy mentality displayed by anybody, especially those who need a gun to be tough. If you are a true gun rights supporter and wanted to do the movement any good, you should be denouncing his decision to go out drinking while packing weather it was legal or not. Most of us responsible NRA members immediately cringe when we hear about gun incidents involving alcohol use. Your support for drinking while packing is PATHETIC and gives the gun movement another black eye. . . Make sure you don't plead this case for shooting while BUZZED at our next convention. . .
on July 12,2013 | 03:27PM
hapaguy wrote:
Well Said!
on July 12,2013 | 03:46PM
Mypualani wrote:
@ ring ring wow, just wow, By your statement I now have a new respect for the NRA very well put.
on July 12,2013 | 08:52PM
Mypualani wrote:
@ Kailua. So the Agent had really good decision making skills? You know I agree with what you say about locals and all because I see it here, I get pissed at the actions just like the next guy. I see your point but if you wanna go there why don't you bring up the arrogance of stupid Haoles too while you are at it. You don't have to be any race or creed to be stupid and make bad decisions.
on July 12,2013 | 08:47PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I'm not denying there are plenty of ignorant people of all races. I was making the point that local kids like to fight. I've met (and have a neighbor) who is the definition of an arrogant transplant.
on July 13,2013 | 05:20AM
Mypualani wrote:
Thank you for clearing that up Kailuaraised, though we differ on opinions on this case I can say you do have class, me I no I get emo at times and let it get the best of me. We just happen to see things differently, especially on the video but you do make valid points I can see how the defense and persecution can look at the video and have different views. I truly get what you are saying, I work in Nanakuli most people out there are kind and respectful where my job is concerned, but I I do see young locals the girls more than the boys acting like bullies and it makes me sick. For anyone no matter who they are to get bullied and put down in front of others because there is a mob mentality attached also.. In this case " state of mind" plays a big part in conviction or no conviction. Mahalo's for the reply
on July 13,2013 | 08:55AM
BadBingo wrote:
Why was he drinking and carrying a gun? Isn't this against the law or some kind of government policy?
on July 12,2013 | 04:16AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Again, no it is not against the law. For some reason the bias press won't report the actual law. He could not be impaired. HPD choose not to pursue it.
on July 12,2013 | 06:55AM
PCWarrior wrote:
Dude why don't you just admit Deedy is your freakin' boyfriend already. Nuff.
on July 12,2013 | 10:02AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Why? Cause I actually try to stick to the facts when commenting vs the locals who want to blindly support Elderts. Why don't you come up with a rebuttal instead of attacks?
on July 12,2013 | 10:42AM
papaya wrote:
Fact: Deedy carried his gun while drinking (impaired or not, legal or not, still poor judgement) Fact: Deedy approached Elderts while Elderts was seated and bothering no one Fact: Nobody's life was in imminent danger when Deedy approached Elderts. Fact: Even less so, there was no crime at all being committed for Deedy to assist or intervene as a law enforcement officer. Fact: Deedy kicked Elderts first. Fact: Deedy shot and killed Elderts.
on July 12,2013 | 02:06PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Fact: Deedy shot and killed Elderts after Elderts came at him and attacked him. The kick is irrelevant since the first scuffle ended. The key point is at thirty seconds when Deedy is posturing to pull his gun and Elderts swings. Elderts had a chance to walk away.
on July 12,2013 | 02:29PM
hapaguy wrote:
That's totally NOT what the video shows! After the initial kick from Deedy to Elderts, Elderts doesn't even engage Deedy. Deedy's friend Gutowski comes over and you can see those two scuffling in the background by the ATM. Jessica West is seen restraining Deedy but he gets around her to join Gutowski, two on one, against Elderts. Someone comes over to help Elderts and those two guys end up out the side door, and Elderts either pushes or punches Deedy to the ground. Elderts turns around and moves to the side door to help his friend when Deedy gets up and again approaches Elderts who has every right to defend himself. You can clearly see Elderts has his hands down and Deedy is pushing him with his left hand. Eldert either pushes or punched Deedy and Deedy shoots and kills him. They way you make it sound as if a whole lot of time occurred between Deedy's first front kick and when he shot Elderts. It was all in a matter of thirty seconds
on July 12,2013 | 03:06PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
@hapaguy. Get real. Here is a picture of exactly what you're talking about. http://imgur.com/ixl9mCS Deedy is clearly posturing to get Elderts to stop. He's not pushing Elderts at all. Elderts choose to push the issue further and attack a guy who is reaching for his gun. Deedy had every right to fire.
on July 12,2013 | 07:38PM
hapaguy wrote:
Here! Here!
on July 12,2013 | 02:32PM
Mypualani wrote:
Elderts chose to push the issue? Are you high? The issue started when Deedy went up to him and asked him if he wanted to get shot. Then kicks him and now crying foul because no can handle what you start, and you wanna talk about blind, please Deedy is clearly wrong and not looking good right now. Are you his attorney ??? Even the witness says he wasn't in any danger. You know it's funny how you talk about "locals" when I witnessed on the video those two agents doing the very same thing you speak of, you know the MMA fighting mentality, but it's different when Haole's do it yeah? Then come up with some B.S. of protecting someone in danger, when there is testimony that there was no danger.
on July 12,2013 | 09:09PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
@mypualani, where is the testimony that says Deedy asked if he wanted to get shot? Did that come out in court yet?
on July 13,2013 | 05:22AM
Mypualani wrote:
Facts not emotion is what the case will be based on. I get it...me I let my emotions get to me and start going off in ten different directions.
on July 13,2013 | 08:58AM
Mypualani wrote:
The fact is he was and is able to refuse a blood or breath test. Don't blame HPD.
on July 12,2013 | 08:53PM
opihi123 wrote:
2 Points stand out to me.... Deedy,if not required by his job to be armed, was an idiot to bring a gun out to bars. Also, if you are the type of person who likes to fight when drunk, watch out. That person you get into it with might happen to be carrying a gun, and be crazy enough to use it. Hawaii does not give many concealed /carry permits but other states do. There would be less assaults if people knew that they might get shot for taking a verbal argument to the next level..
on July 12,2013 | 04:59AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
When I lived in Florida, no one got into fist fights ever because it concealed carry was legal. Never know who is willing to shoot to protect themselves.
on July 12,2013 | 02:30PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "When I lived in Florida, no one got into fist fights ever because it concealed carry was legal. Never know who is willing to shoot to protect themselves."

Maybe that's why Mr Deedy felt so comfortable going over to harass, antagonize and kick Mr Elberts. He knew that he had a gun, but that Mr Mr Elberts wouldn't.


on July 12,2013 | 05:05PM
Mypualani wrote:
Good point Kalaheo1
on July 12,2013 | 09:10PM
opihi123 wrote:
Deedy was an idiot. Elderts picked on the wrong haole
on July 12,2013 | 05:11AM
joewilly wrote:
Deedy wouldn't have approached Elderts if if didn't have a gun. Same as Zimmerman. Nothing to do with race. Just guns and alcohol.
on July 12,2013 | 05:12AM
allie wrote:
Deedy should be fired. What on earth is someone that poorly trained doing out here "on duty." To send someone that irresponsible here for a nothing conference was an insult to hawaii.
on July 12,2013 | 06:20AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Deedy won't get fired and will be found not guilty. He was within his legal rights to do everything he did.
on July 12,2013 | 06:56AM
hanalei395 wrote:
You can visit Deedy in OCCC or Halawa.
on July 12,2013 | 07:23AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Seriously doubt it.
on July 12,2013 | 07:35AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Well, at least, once, visit him in prison to inform him that you were his staunch supporter.
on July 12,2013 | 07:59AM
joewilly wrote:
Kailua! Guns and alcohol do not mix. If it was your son you wouldn't have that kind of attitude. If you are going to bar hop in an unfamiliar city, leave your gun at home. I know cops and FBI agents that have been on the job for 25-30 years. They all tell me that they NEVER want to ever use their gun for this kind of reason. That's why you take self-defense classes.
on July 12,2013 | 08:43AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I'd hope I raised my son to not do coke, get drunk and get into fist fights with armed men. And sorry, I'm not taking self defense classes. If you want to fight and harm me, I'll shoot. People die in fist fights.
on July 12,2013 | 09:37AM
hanalei395 wrote:
"Armed men" .. with the weapon HIDDEN ..OUT OF SIGHT .. UNTIL .. the "armed man" used it.
on July 12,2013 | 10:07AM
gobows wrote:
Deedy started it by kicking Elderts.
on July 12,2013 | 08:48AM
waikane75 wrote:
Agreed. Deedy could have avoided the altercation easily.
on July 12,2013 | 09:19AM
MKN wrote:
@waikane75: They both could have avoided the altercation easily, but both sides chose not to. When Deedy attempted to kick Elderts, Elderts should have called the cops and had assault charges placed on Deedy. Unfortunately Elderts didn't do that and decided to take the law into his own hands by standing up and tackling Deedy to the ground. Like I said before, there was a lot of blame to go around on both sides, but neither side wanted to back down, so someone ended up getting killed for it. At the most, Deedy (if he is found guilty of anything) might be found guilty of manslaughter, but I highly doubt that since it looked like Elderts was going after Deedy's gun before they both fell down off camera.
on July 12,2013 | 02:12PM
Mypualani wrote:
Yeah that would have been the right thing to do, by the way did you see the video? Elderts was legally drunk so what was his state of mind. I don't see it being in a reasonable state. Deedy sure as heck wasn't
on July 12,2013 | 09:15PM
hanalei395 wrote:
And Elderts struck BACK by flooring him. And, no doubt, Deedy, was shocked. To a foreigner in Hawai'i with a superior attitude, and being armed with a hidden weapon, getting hit back by a "lowly" local, is not correct.
on July 12,2013 | 11:51AM
allie wrote:
that is your interpretation, not Deedy's.
on July 12,2013 | 12:17PM
gobows wrote:
AFTER Deedy got KNOCKED DOWN. He knew he was going to DRAW HIS GUN.
on July 12,2013 | 02:13PM
RingRing wrote:
Kraised, the whole trial is to decide if what he did was within his legal rights. I think the liquid courage he consumed amplified by his metal courage, lack of experience and terrible, impaired judgement will put this kid away for quite a while. . . Frankly, it looks really bad for this young man.
on July 12,2013 | 03:43PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
It was well within his legal rights. Once again, your opinion of him being buzzed and impaired is conjecture.
on July 12,2013 | 04:20PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "It was well within his legal rights."

It was legal for federal agent Deedy to walk around Waikiki with a concealed weapon. It was legal for him to go bar hopping and drinking while carrying a concealed weapon too. It showed horrifically poor judgement, but it wasn't illegal.

It was even legal for him for him to go over and harass the seated Mr Elberts in McDonalds that night. It was illegal for him to kick him and start a fight. It was illegal for him to draw his gun in a crowded and shoot Mr Elberts in the chest.


on July 12,2013 | 05:11PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Actually no. I disagree. Look at this still. http://imgur.com/ixl9mCS No fighting is taking place. Elderts choose to attack Deedy again while Deedy is reaching for his gun.
on July 12,2013 | 07:42PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: Actually no. I disagree. Look at this still. http://imgur.com/ixl9mCS No fighting is taking place. Elderts choose to attack Deedy again while Deedy is reaching for his gun.

Look again. Mr Elderts is standing with his arms by his side and Mr Deedy is shoving him while pulling out a concealed pistol from BEHIND HIS BACK.

That's an extremely incriminating photo. Can you explain why Mr Deedy would draw his gun at a guy just standing there?


on July 12,2013 | 09:28PM
RingRing wrote:
Kalaheo, Deedy pulled his gun out and killed a young punk because he is young, inexperienced, under the influence of alcohol and he will be found guilty. It's quite clear how this is going. The defense team is really scrambling already to at least try to establish grounds for an appeal.
on July 12,2013 | 10:54PM
bullturd wrote:
A person is deemed irresponsible after the fact of a misdeed. Having said that, should Deedy be found not guilty, then the State Dept. has grounds to fire him for being "irresponsible" because he carried his firearm while off duty. Off course if he's found guilty...Aloha Mr. Deedy to your job and the rest of your life as you knew it.
on July 12,2013 | 07:28AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Why would the state department fire him? He's allowed to carry off duty.
on July 12,2013 | 07:35AM
gobows wrote:
is he allowed to carry his gun and go out drinking?
on July 12,2013 | 09:00AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Yes, along as he is not impaired.
on July 12,2013 | 09:38AM
PCWarrior wrote:
Are you two here to get married or what?
on July 12,2013 | 10:04AM
gobows wrote:
not going to be proven if he was impaired or not. HPD fumbled that one.
on July 12,2013 | 10:13AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
@pcwarrior, do you have anything productive to add?
on July 12,2013 | 10:44AM
RingRing wrote:
He will be fired because it would be extremely hard to keep him on the payroll when he is in prison. . . If, in the unlikely event he is not found guilty he will be on a desk job for the rest of his life filing papers.
on July 12,2013 | 10:56PM
hapaguy wrote:
Wrong again! Quote from the trial: "The resident agent-in-charge of the Diplomatic Security Service went over activities prohibited under State Department policy. "Consumption of any alcoholic beverage while armed or six hours prior to being armed or at any time prior to being armed sufficient to impair an agent's judgement or ability to perform his or her duties," said Matthew Golbus. Do you not know the definition of "prohibited'?
on July 12,2013 | 11:42AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Do you know how to read? The law and state department policy are two different things.
on July 12,2013 | 12:44PM
hapaguy wrote:
I know how to read. I was responding to your assertion that the State Dept. wouldn't fire him. He was in violation of State Dept policy as was tesitifed to in court: "The resident agent-in-charge of the Diplomatic Security Service went over activities prohibited under State Department policy. "Consumption of any alcoholic beverage while armed or six hours prior to being armed or at any time prior to being armed sufficient to impair an agent's judgement or ability to perform his or her duties," said Matthew Golbus. What part of that don't you understand?
on July 12,2013 | 01:45PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
@Hapaguy, That's not grounds for firing him. I'm guessing you don't work for the feds, it's pretty difficult to get fired.
on July 12,2013 | 02:33PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "@Hapaguy, That's not grounds for firing him. I'm guessing you don't work for the feds, it's pretty difficult to get fired."

If violating policy by drinking while carrying a weapon and then shooting a stranger after picking a fight and assaulting him isn't enough to get you fired, then I wonder how many other Federal Agents with the State Dept have similarly poor judgement as Mr Deedy.

Try showing up to fly a passenger plane after "just a few beers" and watch how quickly you get fired.


on July 12,2013 | 05:18PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Perrine said " I didn't feel threatened. Elderts didn't have to die for me ".
on July 12,2013 | 12:01PM
hanabatadayz wrote:
perrine doesn't remember anything..or he "chooses" not to remember anything..anyway this case will be ending soon..yay
on July 12,2013 | 05:32AM
false wrote:
The case ends and Elderts is still dead. Martin is still dead. But the history will continue unless respect is restored. That's going to be hard. Who is going to pay the civil damages for this Federal assignment error and Finkelstein planting the thought in Deedy's head that this place, Hawaii is "dangerous"? Everywhere is dangerous. It's how you act that gets you in trouble. Deedy should have stayed invisible. Perrine didn't ask for help or need it. Drunks mouth off everywhere. Drunks with guns may not mouth off but they sure don't have the discrimination to carry a weapon. His bosses said so. They knew they were going partying but they still took weapons. No respect for the duty. Wrong selection for the job.
on July 12,2013 | 05:48AM
allie wrote:
I said the same but still got blasted for it. I see bad behavior by lots of drunk men late at night. I just walk by and ignore it.
on July 12,2013 | 06:21AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
He was within his rights to carry. Totally legal. He'll probably get off and the state department will give him a slap on the wrist for consuming alcohol within 6 hours of carrying.
on July 12,2013 | 06:59AM
gobows wrote:
might be more than just a slap. not only did he consume alcohol with 6 hours of carrying, he SHOT someone DEAD while he was doing it. dont you think?
on July 12,2013 | 10:14AM
hapaguy wrote:
Here Here!
on July 12,2013 | 12:04PM
Nevadan wrote:
No. The State Department refuses to discipline Deedy now, because any action it takes now will prejudice the criminal trial. Think!
on July 12,2013 | 06:02PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I work for the feds. If Deedy gets a not guilty then nothing will happen to him. He might get a reprimand but will not be fired.
on July 12,2013 | 07:22PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "I work for the feds. "

Mailman or parking lot attendant at Tripler?

The judges also would have accepted "we ALL work for the feds."


on July 13,2013 | 07:29PM
CartwrightPark wrote:
So what is it Deedy? Locals just dont like haoles period? Or do locals dislike haoles because they do things like pull gun & kill a guy smaller than him in a non life threatening situation (let's not get it twisted, Elderts wasnt some huge intimidating Poly). Let's leave the racial overtones to a minimum and stick to the facts even if Elderts talked about your mommy & your race or whatever, does that justify you flexing your govt issued muscle at the guy & escalating the situation when clearly the lady in the video tried to calm you down? You wanted no part of that and proceeded to escalate the situation instead of first & foremost identifying yourself as a govt agent. Bottom line is the gun did not have to be discharged, once the first altercation happened, there was a huge opportunity for the altercation to have been a minor scuffle at a McDonald's yet YOU chose to even the score or get the best of Elderts and show him "who's boss" and that is where you made a fatal error that hopefully costs you your job and gets you a significant amount of time behind bars.
on July 12,2013 | 06:06AM
false wrote:
We have all got it right. Reality is we all go to McDonald's to eat. If only... just eat and go home and sleep it off. That's all Elderts wanted to do. He wasn't looking for a fight. Who was looking for a fight is now in court because he had the gun. If only he wasn't packing, he might have just said, "So that's what Finkelstein was talking about." Keep having to look at that name Finkelstein, keep thinking Frankenstein or Farrington. Oh well some curious name. Too bad he put the thoughts in Deedy's head. Is he culpable in all of this for perpetuating a prophesy and seeing it fulfilled?
on July 12,2013 | 06:14AM
allie wrote:
Men lile Elderts are always looking to defend their "manhood" and to impress losers like themselves. That said, both he and Deedy were bores. No gun, just the usual loco moco waste of time stuff. Deedy is in the wrong IMO
on July 12,2013 | 06:23AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Yah right. Elderts was a trouble maker and was drunk and high on coke. He was being the typical trouble maker and running his mouth to everyone around.
on July 12,2013 | 07:10AM
Slow wrote:
Apparently you got scrapped in the boy's bathroom of Kailua Intermediate School and never got over your fear. I watched the video many times. Deedy instigated it. Your terror of brown skin people is apparent. You must be very uncomfortable in Hawaii.
on July 12,2013 | 08:20AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
And your staunch support of locals is also apparent. Face it, Elderts was running his mouth and didn't know when to step down.
on July 12,2013 | 09:39AM
PCWarrior wrote:
You can stop crying now you beyatch.
on July 12,2013 | 10:07AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
The only person crying is you.
on July 12,2013 | 10:46AM
gobows wrote:
Agree...Elderts ran his mouth. BUT, it was Deedy that frontal kicked him. Why would you kick a person and not EXPECT a physical response? Deedy had a gun, and in my opinion expected to USE IT.
on July 12,2013 | 10:16AM
MKN wrote:
@gobows: If he expected to use it, then why didn't he pull it out before he confronted Deedy? Besides, Deedy only pulled the gun out when Elderts was going to charge him again. Deedy was totally backing off and motioned for Elderts to stop, but Elderts didn't stop and it looks like Elderts was attempting to get the gun from Deedy, so Deedy shot him. Hate to say it, but that's enough evidence to prove he shot Elderts in self defense. If Deedy is found guilty of anything, it would probably be manslaughter at the most. It definitely wasn't murder.
on July 12,2013 | 02:22PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
@MKN. That's exactly my opinion. The fight was over and Elderts kept coming when it was clear that Deedy was drawing. It's looking like a clear case of self defense.
on July 12,2013 | 03:55PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "The fight was over and Elderts kept coming when it was clear that Deedy was drawing."

Wait. If the fight was over, then why was Deedy pulling his pistol out of it's concealed location?


on July 13,2013 | 07:32PM
dsl wrote:
It appears Deedy went out looking for someone like Elderts. He had it in hishead thathe wasgoing to teach someone a lesson one way or another. Deedy should havejust left it alone...
on July 12,2013 | 11:46AM
8082062424 wrote:
ill bet slow is right you got your head flushed in Kailua Intermediate School bathroom was very common thing that happen there. now you all bitter to any one who not white
on July 12,2013 | 12:06PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I didn't even go to KIS.
on July 12,2013 | 12:45PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "And your staunch support of locals is also apparent. Face it, Elderts was running his mouth and didn't know when to step down."

... So Mr Deedy kicked him in the chest and shot him?

You may be unaware of this, but "running your mouth and not knowing when to step down" is not a reason to murder someone.


on July 12,2013 | 05:31PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Yah right. Elderts was a trouble maker and was drunk and high on coke. He was being the typical trouble maker and running his mouth to everyone around."

We don't know what sort of drugs Mr Deedy was taking because he asserted his 5th Amendment right against self incrimination. Unfortunately, Mr Elberts couldn't exert that right, because Mr Deedy shot him in the chest.

Here's another point you seem to be missing. MR ELDERTS IS NOT ON TRIAL!!! He's the victim. He's the guy who went out for burgers with his friends and got kicked and then shot by Mr Deedy. I'll bet that after he kicked him in the chest, when Mr Deedy was pointing that gun at him with those red eyes and unsteady gait and firing wildly around McDonalds, Mr Elderts feared for his life.


on July 12,2013 | 05:28PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Try sticking to the facts and evidence at hand. HPD choose not to pursue a blood test. That's HPD's fault if you believe he was intoxicated to the point where it was an issue.
on July 12,2013 | 07:24PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Try sticking to the facts and evidence at hand. HPD choose not to pursue a blood test. That's HPD's fault if you believe he was intoxicated to the point where it was an issue."

Honestly, intoxication might explain Mr Deedy's extremely poor judgement and assault and murder of Mr Elberts. I'd hate to think he acted so irresponsibly sober.


on July 12,2013 | 09:34PM
Mypualani wrote:
And Deedy was being ...What? Legal? Puhleesse so now I can o out a shoot someone for running their mouth? U Make no sense what so ever.
on July 12,2013 | 09:30PM
soundofreason wrote:
"He testified he did not feel threatened, "shrugged off" Elderts' comments, walked away and didn't feel a need for any help.">>> What comments of Elderts did this other customer need to "shrug off". Elderts was looking for trouble.
on July 12,2013 | 07:21AM
hapaguy wrote:
It was reported that Elderts told Perrine "why so sad? Cheer up. We live Hawaii" or words to that effect...that's why Perrine said he did not feel threatened
on July 12,2013 | 12:40PM
MKN wrote:
It looked like from the video that Perrine was trying to mind his own business while Elderts was fully talking to and staring at Perrine for a good 20-30 seconds or so. You know if was two local guys and one guy was staring at the other guy like that, more than likely they going scrap. Elderts had staring problems.
on July 12,2013 | 02:28PM
Mypualani wrote:
Are for real? Did Elderts go towards Perrine? In a threatening way? I talk to people and look at them when I am speaking, sometimes people talk story, maybe he was trying to start a conversation who knows. Staring problem what are you?
on July 12,2013 | 09:41PM
Mei mei wrote:
did u not read "Elderts was calling Perinne Haole" too bad for him he was way over intoxicated to recall anything, but Yes Elderts was being a drunken/drugged up punk ( i don't condone him dying for that though). I hope the lady that was preventing Deedy from approaching Elderts testifies as well, she will be more of a credible witness.
on July 12,2013 | 12:05PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
He'll walk. Then he'll continue back to his 6 figure state department gig and Elderts will still be dead. Let's be serious, Elderts choose to run his mouth to the wrong person and fight a guy with a gun. Watch the video, Deedy puts his hand out and is reaching for his weapon trying to calm Elderts when Elderts goes on the attack. Elderts could have calmed down and walked away. Instead he was high and drunk and trying to be tough.
on July 12,2013 | 07:09AM
jm3 wrote:
@Kailuaraised... Elderts was your neighbor... how can u bash him like that! maybe it was legal for Deedy to carry a concealed weapon.. but is it legal for him to shoot and kill?! especially when Elderts was taunting someone else!!! Deedy was losing a battle, in which he started himself, and thought of no other option besides murder! I'm sure you would change your opinion if there was a pic of you next to your name....
on July 12,2013 | 08:42AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I don't care if he was my neighbor. He choose to fight and now he has to face the consequence.
on July 12,2013 | 09:41AM
PCWarrior wrote:
He dead. Not going face nothing. Not even a internet tough shooting beyatch like you.
on July 12,2013 | 10:09AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Did I hit a soft spot?
on July 12,2013 | 10:47AM
gobows wrote:
FIRST Deedy KICKS Elderts.....then tries to CALM HIM??...THAT IS FUNNY. Deedy wanted to fire his gun that night. THAT is why he took the EVENT to another LEVEL.
on July 12,2013 | 10:18AM
MKN wrote:
@gobows: If he wanted to fire his gun, he should have pulled the gun out in the first place. What you're saying is pure speculation. Deedy only fired his weapon because Elderts was rushing him.
on July 12,2013 | 02:32PM
Mypualani wrote:
And what you are saying is speculation as well
on July 12,2013 | 09:47PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
@mypualani, no it's not speculation. It's clear cut on the video that Elderts rushed him again.
on July 13,2013 | 05:25AM
Mypualani wrote:
You forgot the civil law suit that Deedy will be facing and let's be real here, remember OJ ? So if that's your twisted Howly way of trying to start stuff. Not happening who knows maybe you will eat your words after the verdict comes in. Maybe I will peat mine but I know Mr green will ripp Deedy a big one in civil court
on July 12,2013 | 09:46PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Maybe, Mr. Green is a very good lawyer.
on July 13,2013 | 05:26AM
8082062424 wrote:
And when he lands in OCC will you sit and cry for him. you know his life will be a hell
on July 12,2013 | 12:07PM
false wrote:
Not. He's going to Hotel Prison somewhere cushy. It's more like a country club, tv, rec room, fitness program and college courses. He could complete a law degree and a PHD, as is Piled Higher and Deeper. He won't be given the common man's facilities. Feds get special privileges even in jail. Where did diva Martha Stewart go?
on July 12,2013 | 01:59PM
MKN wrote:
Camp Cupcake as it's called. LOL!
on July 12,2013 | 03:23PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "He'll walk. Then he'll continue back to his 6 figure state department gig and Elderts will still be dead. Let's be serious, Elderts choose to run his mouth to the wrong person and fight a guy with a gun. "

Actually, if you watch the video you will see that Mr Deedy choose to start a fight with a guy who DIDN'T have a gun. He then KICKED the unarmed man in the chest and then SHOT and KILLED him.

There was ZERO justification for Mr Deedy to approach Mr Elderts and pick a fight with him. There was no reason for Mr Deedy to kick him in the chest and there was no reason for Mr Deedy to continue engage him and shoot him.

To review: Mr Elderts was unarmed, and sitting with friends waiting for his food. Mr Deedy was off duty, out drinking and carrying a concealed firearm. As far as I know, the State Dept takes little interest in enforcing local public intoxication laws, and if they did, the man he was "defending" after three shots of tequila and a pitcher of beer, was far more intoxicated than Mr Elderts.

Mr Deedy choose to approach and pick a fight with Mr Elderts. Mr Deedy choose to escalate it from a verbal confrontation to a physical one when he kicked him in the chest. When Mr Elderts defended himself, Mr Deedy drew a pistol and shot wildly around a crowded restaurant until he hit Mr Elderts and killed him.

How you can possibly continue to defend that level of poor judgement and breathtaking incompetence is beyond me.


on July 12,2013 | 05:44PM
Mypualani wrote:
Easy he' probably on Deedy's legal team. Deedy will be sued blue, in Civil Court.
on July 12,2013 | 09:52PM
JAFO wrote:
Liquid courage and packing a gun embolden Special Agent Deedy! His friend should have told him not to act like he might on the Mainland towards minority groups because the shoe is on the other foot in Hawaii!
on July 12,2013 | 06:13AM
false wrote:
Yes. Finally common sense.
on July 12,2013 | 02:00PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Let's just stop beating around the bush and call this joke of a trial for what it really is. It's a PR spectacle to calm the local populace because the enemy is the federal government. Deedy will not get a fair trial because he's from the mainland and killed a local. He's a "haole" who came to Hawaii and didn't understand our ways. Just look at these comments. It's blatantly obvious that Elderts was a trouble maker. He ever had a history of it and was high on two different drugs and drunk. He decided to fight a federal agent after exchanging words. He choose to attack an armed person reaching for their gun. But we all know that local boys can do no wrong in Hawaii. It's the us vs them mentality and everyone will point fingers at Deedy rather than hold the local boy accountable for his actions. No lessons will be learned from this incident. Deedy is the haole that will further escalate the dislike for mainlanders. Meanwhile, the rest of the country thinks people from Hawaii are stupid and prefer not to hire them for jobs. Just look at the job situation in Hawaii, major companies would rather bring someone in than hire local talent. Why is that?
on July 12,2013 | 06:47AM
8082062424 wrote:
Oh boy now he will not get a fair trial. no reason to cry geeze. his trial will be fair.. the truth is he was the one who started it you just can not face that for some reason
on July 12,2013 | 02:13PM
gobows wrote:
errrr.....YES, Elderts was drugged out......BUT...Elderts decided to FIGHT AFTER Deedy KICKED HIM.....the beginning of the video showed Elderts sitting down and Deedy standing up. AND....WHY was that girl trying to restraint DEEDY??
on July 12,2013 | 02:22PM
false wrote:
If the characters were reversed how would the trial be? Elderts packing agent and Deedy local whatever, then where would the verdict go? Hmmm.
on July 12,2013 | 04:54PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Interesting. I would guess there wouldn't even be a trial. There would be no outcry or protest for a drugged up drunk tourist fighting a local agent. No one would care.
on July 13,2013 | 05:29AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote:" Interesting. I would guess there wouldn't even be a trial. There would be no outcry or protest for a drugged up drunk tourist fighting a local agent. No one would care."

You seem to have a very low opinion of your island neighbors.

For the record. If Deedy had been the one sitting with his friends waiting for his order, and Elderts was the guy who came over, picked a fight, kicked Deedy and the then shoved him in the chest and drew a concealed weapon and shot and killed him, I would be just as outraged and want to see our legal system isolate and punish anyone who acted so foolishly and irresponsibly.


on July 13,2013 | 07:11AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Give me a break. The cops didn't even charge Deedy that night. No one would bat an eye if a guy ran his mouth and got into it with an HPD Officer and attacked him.
on July 13,2013 | 07:34AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Give me a break. The cops didn't even charge Deedy that night. No one would bat an eye if a guy ran his mouth and got into it with an HPD Officer and attacked him."

You are completely off base if you think that the murder of an unarmed HPD officer by violent and out of control assailent wouldn't spark anger, sadness, and outrage island wide!

Remember when that sweet school teacher got assaulted and stabbed and murdered by a another similarly out of control individual? Remember the outpouring of public support?

I don't know why you think so little of our community but I think both you and Deedy seem very angry and to not think much of the people who live here.


on July 13,2013 | 08:00AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Where did I say the murder of an off duty HPD? I said if a coked out tourist tried to fight a off-duty HPD who was carrying and got shot for it then no one would care.
on July 14,2013 | 05:42AM
RingRing wrote:
Did we hit a soft spot there. . .???LOL
on July 12,2013 | 11:06PM
soundofreason wrote:
"and a fellow agent who testified that he told Deedy some "locals" don't like mainlanders.">>> Not racist. Statement of fact.
on July 12,2013 | 07:15AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Everyone acts like that is some sort of thing unique to Hawaii. It doesn't matter where you go in the world, there is set of uneducated hotheads who don't like outsiders. That's true in Alabama, New York, France, and Afganistan and pretty much everywhere.
on July 13,2013 | 07:14AM
palolo2001 wrote:
Deedy should have minded his own business. I have seen so many fights with swearing, name calling, etc, . When the police come drunks always call out the policeman. The police try to calm down the situation, not shoot the trouble makers. We would get men shot everyday in Waianae, Palolo, and Kalihi if Deedy responded to these fights.
on July 12,2013 | 07:22AM
allie wrote:
exactly right!
on July 12,2013 | 07:58AM
jm3 wrote:
agree 100%
on July 12,2013 | 08:42AM
gobows wrote:
Deedy KNEW he had a GUN. He probably KNEW Elderts DIDN'T. Deedy figured he could get a wild LOCAL to calm down, once he PULLED HIS GUN out. Deedy went too FAR.
on July 12,2013 | 10:20AM
yhls wrote:
The more that's revealed about this case, the worse it looks for Deedy. When Finkelstein cautioned him about certain locals and the specific use of the term haole, Deedy told him not to worry, he would be "armed." He met the local. Heard the phrase. And next thing you know it - BANG! Stupid, stupid, stupid AND guilty, guilty, guilty as charged.
on July 12,2013 | 07:25AM
yhls wrote:
KailuaRaised, you are delued. The picture's, video, and now TESTIMONY, and police who were on the scene, support the prosecution's case.
on July 12,2013 | 07:28AM
yhls wrote:
Deedy was warned by his friend about certain locals and the word haole. How ironic! That was the TRIGGER term. He heard the word and seconds later -- pulled the trigger. Both a coward and a fool. What a disgrace to law enforcement he is.
on July 12,2013 | 07:30AM
yhls wrote:
KailuaRaised, you don't know what you're talking about. Anyone who know's anything about street combat tactics WITH A WEAPON, understands that when Deedy put his hand out to Elderts, it's a BLOCK used while simultaneously DRAWING a WEAPON -- either a knife, or this case, a PISTOL. This technique is taught in combat training. And, to make matters worse, when Deedy put his hand on Elderts' chest, Elderts' HANDS we're at his side. That's not aggression. Deedy had no justifiable cause to shoot.
on July 12,2013 | 07:35AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
What? So Elderts should go and punch a guy who's pulling out a gun? I know all about force protection. I would have pulled my gun too.
on July 12,2013 | 09:43AM
PCWarrior wrote:
Oooohhhh scary. You just a punk like Deedy.
on July 12,2013 | 10:12AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Do you ever have anything productive to add to discussions besides name calling?
on July 12,2013 | 10:48AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "What? So Elderts should go and punch a guy who's pulling out a gun? I know all about force protection. I would have pulled my gun too."

I think trying to punch Deedy after he pulled his gun was the only reasonable course of action. Mr Deedy had shown himself to be violent and unreasonable already when he confronted Elderts and kicked him in the chest. Apparently he yelled several time that he would shoot Elderts. THEN he pulled out a gun. Elderts, quite reasonably, should have feared for his life and attempted to defend himself and his friends.

Taking the gun away from Deedy was the only safe thing to do. I promise you that disarming Deedy was the very first thing HPD did when they arrived on the scene.


on July 12,2013 | 05:50PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "What? So Elderts should go and punch a guy who's pulling out a gun? I know all about force protection. I would have pulled my gun too."

You would have pulled your gun from a concealed location while simultaneously shoving a guy standing with his arms at his side and you would do that in a crowded restaurant?! Why?

I thought Mr Deedy's recklessness and grossly irresponsible behavior was an isolated incident. You're starting to convince there's more like him out there.


on July 12,2013 | 09:44PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Let's be real. Deedy didn't shove him. The move he was doing was standard practice taught to all agents. He was reaching for his weapon and trying to keep Elderts from coming closer. And yes, if someone comes at me swinging while I'm reaching for a weapon then I will shoot them. What was Deedy supposed to do? Let Elderts punch him? Wrestle Elderts and risk losing his weapon? Elderts got himself into a text book situation of concealed carry and paid for it. Let me ask you, did you know Elderts?
on July 13,2013 | 07:38AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Let's be real. Deedy didn't shove him. The move he was doing was standard practice taught to all agents. He was reaching for his weapon and trying to keep Elderts from coming closer. And yes, if someone comes at me swinging while I'm reaching for a weapon then I will shoot them. What was Deedy supposed to do?"

I think you need to look at that picture you keep posting one more time. Deedy's hands are splayed across Eldert's chest. Clearly force is being applied. I assume you are going to insist that Eldert's attacked Deedy's hand with his chest. If you look at the your photo again, you will see that Elderts is standing with his hands and arms at his side. He is NOT "swinging."

There is no reason for Deedy to be assaulting Elderts and no reason for him to being drawing his gun at an unarmed man who is standing with his arms by his side.

Deedy made some terrible choices that night, to picking a fight with a seated stranger who didn't wasn't threatening anyone, to assaulting him with a potentially lethal kick, to escalating the violence, striking him again and pulling a concealed weapon, waving it around like Yosemite Sam, shooting up a crowded McDonalds and eventually shooting a man who seconds before was waiting for his burger and fires.

I hope they incorporate and teach Deedy's case of reckless and irresponsible behavior to new agents in training to prevent this sort of tragedy in the future.


on July 13,2013 | 08:18AM
MKN wrote:
yhls: The fact that Elderts was going towards Deedy is aggressive enough. Elderts even attempted to go after Deedy's weapon as Deedy was pulling it out, so don't tell me that's not aggression on Elderts part.
on July 12,2013 | 02:38PM
Oio wrote:
Sadly, it's the same old story that does a number on a guy: Drugs, Alcohol or Women. Both sober, these two guys would probably be mellow and not be in trouble. Sad.
on July 12,2013 | 07:37AM
allie wrote:
yup..and I blame McDonald's for not having real security late at night. A Tongan at the door keeps both men mellow. If either man acts up, the security man simply separates them and calls HPD if needed. You cannot ask the women behind the cash register to keep the peace. Believe me I know.
on July 12,2013 | 08:00AM
jm3 wrote:
The security should have called the police when she first walked over to stop the fight! DUH! she is a woman and there are grown men arguing!!
on July 12,2013 | 08:43AM
Mrs_G wrote:
A Tongan? Why a Tongan? Definitely "racial profiling". . .and DEFINITELY ignorant!
on July 12,2013 | 08:57AM
allie wrote:
ummmsorry hon. But Tongans are very common in Waikiki security/Ala Moana Center businesses as security. Open your eyes.
on July 12,2013 | 10:03AM
Mrs_G wrote:
Again. . .with 67-year-old eyes wide open. . .DEFINITELY ignorant!
on July 12,2013 | 10:14AM
8082062424 wrote:
You know there's a difference between Samoan and Tongans right ? most are Samoan because they tend to be taller and bigger.
on July 12,2013 | 11:33AM
allie wrote:
Some are Samoan but most are Tongan. That is what I see and what I am told. Tongans don't much like Hawaiians either but they are bigger than Micronesians.
on July 12,2013 | 12:19PM
8082062424 wrote:
give it up allie your so full of it. stop with that what im told that your way to cover your lies. the truth is Hawaiians Samoans and Tongans all dislike Micronesians. now Samoans and Tongans do not always mix well .. Hawaiians get along fine with both races. Micronesians are not like just about by most races here they do not mix well with others. not to mention if there so much fighting among Hawaiians and Micronesians there would be way less Micronesians on this island .Hawaiians and local out number them. give it up with your lies already
on July 12,2013 | 02:25PM
gobows wrote:
Nice....Do you have something AGAINST Tongan's?? Are you a RACIST?
on July 12,2013 | 10:23AM
hanalei395 wrote:
OUT OF BLUE...this whako bring up different races, for reasons ONLY known to her. Just the last two days ...it was "Portuguese", then "Micronesians". And of course, she always mentions, in her own way ..... her hatred for Hawaiians.
on July 12,2013 | 10:57AM
PTF wrote:
Why not a Samoan?
on July 12,2013 | 11:06AM
gobows wrote:
oR ASIANS? OR FILIPINOS??? they deserve a fair "ALLIE" shake....doncha thinks??
on July 12,2013 | 02:20PM
Slow wrote:
Are taxpayers paying for Brook Hart and his team? Some one is paying for very expensive defense. I hope it is not us.
on July 12,2013 | 07:41AM
false wrote:
Feds. cover their employees so the taxpayer is taking the hit. State constitution makes Hawaii is the deep pockets in the end.
on July 12,2013 | 04:56PM
Mypualani wrote:
Actually there was an article that I read a few months back, the Feds is not covering his defense that is why Deedy went on one of those donation sites, he needed 50.000 but ended up with like 9 or 10 thousand. They were on there saying that Deddy was protecting a customer and a bunch of other lies. Any how his department is not paying anything it's all on Deedy.
on July 12,2013 | 10:10PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I think his own personal home owner insurance is paying for the legal fees. Most agents have some sort of protection clause in their personal insurance. When an agency decides to pay it's usually with who they choose. Hart is probably the best money can buy so I think Deedy came up with the money for it.
on July 13,2013 | 05:32AM
yhls wrote:
"Mr. Sun Cho Lee" by Keola and Kapono Beamer.
on July 12,2013 | 07:59AM
ryan02 wrote:
I don't care about the race of any of these guys, and I buy that the victim was drunk and/or high and verbally abusive. But it was still wrong for the federal agent to go out drinking while carrying a gun, deliberately escalating a situation that had already diffused itself, kicking the victim out of anger (or to deliberately get a reaction from him), firing his gun unnecessarily and endangering everyone else in McDonalds, and then ultimately killing the victim. I cannot imagine this guy NOT being fired, despite whatever happens in the criminal trial. Also, it's pretty much a given the State department will be paying big bucks to the victims's family in a civil lawsuit, and probably to the other people present in McDonalds too, who were put in danger because of the federal agent's actions and poor use of his weapon after he had been drinking. The federal agent will probably go bankrupt trying to pay the judgments, but that's not my concern -- my concern is the State Department's liability, because it will be paid with MY tax dollars. I'm tired of paying the tab caused by incompetent government workers.
on July 12,2013 | 08:23AM
allie wrote:
agree
on July 12,2013 | 12:20PM
ryan02 wrote:
Sorry! That wasn't supposed to be a "reply"
on July 12,2013 | 08:24AM
false wrote:
From the comments we all get it. Will the jury get it?
on July 12,2013 | 02:05PM
Locokane wrote:
Similar to the Zimmerman case, Deedy was racial profiling with the assumption that locals don't like mainlanders. Whatever happened to the phrase MYOB unless you want to prove that you're better and armed.
on July 12,2013 | 08:27AM
username_required wrote:
If Deedy lived his life packing a gun and trying to rid the world of clowns, something like this was bound to happen, whether it was Hawaii, Deedy's hometown, white/black/hapa. No make sense. It's like trying to rid the internet of poor spelling, poor grammar, and people who disagree with you. Even folks here in the Comment section of the HSA don't do it at 3AM while drunk and in the company of a high concentration of like- and unlike-minded people...right?
on July 12,2013 | 08:32AM
jm3 wrote:
This video makes it clear that Deedy initiated the confrontation. Elderts wasnt even talking to Deedy.. He was talking to some other guy... Then Deedy, feeling all high and mighty as a last minute Fed agent hire, wanted to show abuse his power and try to intimidate Elderts... Us locals are taught to fight with our hands, not weapons! If Deedy wanted a fight he shoulda used his freeking hands!! Elderts was probably giving Deedy some dirty lickens so Deedy felt the need to use his gun... LAME! now one of my local braddahs is dead!! This stupid power trip needs to land Deedy in jail!! No excuse to use a weapon in a fist to fist combat, unless you're losing of course... case of powerful local braddah vs high makamaka wanna be fed agent......
on July 12,2013 | 08:35AM
gobows wrote:
Deedy kicked Elderts first. Then shot him in the end.
on July 12,2013 | 08:50AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
I thought it was in the chest?
on July 12,2013 | 11:46AM
gobows wrote:
AT the END...............lol.....IN THE CHEST.....
on July 12,2013 | 02:23PM
Peacenik wrote:
Do you read the police and fire reports in the SA? Is stabbing fighting with bare hands? In Intermediate school, a white guy transferred to our school. On first day right after school he was jumped by about 5-6 guys right behind the admin building in an open field. When he started getting up from the ground, one guy kicked him in the face like he was punting a football. They all were laughing and bragging about it after. There are locals who work, mind there own business, treat others with Aloha, then they are locals who steal, look for fights and promote racism.
on July 12,2013 | 09:27AM
Mrs_G wrote:
Darn those locals. . .when will they ever learn to do as they're told. . .they should know their place in this world AND when they get out-of-hand, there's a Deedy to put them right back where they belong. Well, I for one, am tired of the "aloha" BS. . ALOHA is a two-way street. ..Who's going to "aloha" me?
on July 12,2013 | 10:22AM
1R1E wrote:
MRS. G: since we were overtaken unrighteously, thats when. when will the haoles learn to leave alone what is not theirs. you think you deserve aloha with a statement like that? id like to meet you, i show you the aloha you deserve. you dont like it, leave.
on July 12,2013 | 11:42AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Pretty sure her post was sarcasm.
on July 12,2013 | 01:34PM
Mrs_G wrote:
Sorry to confuse you, 1R1E, but read it again. . .I was being facetious! That is, however, exactly how I feel some people see locals. They act as if they were sent here to show us the error of our ways. And I truly feel Deedy is one of them. And because Peacenik mentioned "Aloha", I had to reply with: "I am tired of the "aloha" BS" because I am. While I'm busy doling out all of my aloha, who's going to "aloha" me? I am tired of hearing that we need to show the "aloha spirit". Aren't you? (If you met me, you would love me. . .I am a 67-year-old Tutu of seven, and very proudly "ku'e". One last point: ALL people are equal to me. . .but NOBODY, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY, IS BETTER THAN ME!) Mahalo ke Akua!
on July 12,2013 | 01:51PM
Peacenik wrote:
So what has been your experience of not being Aloha'd? Sure, I myself experienced stink eye, yet I experience more Aloha, which is why I live in Hawaii. There is a sub-culture of steal from others, local or not, pick fights especially with those most vulnerable. I am local too, so I'm quite sure the Aloha I get is not because I'm a big spender, but it is the prevasive spirit and should be nurtured. It's not a Hawaiian thing, local thing but a human thing. If we keep holding grudges because of past history, we will always have violence. Countries invaded thir neighbors in WW2 and massacred the inhabitants, but today's generation have tried to learn to forgive or at least not act on revenge and hate. The Kanaka Maoli were mistreated, but they shouldn't hold the descendants of those who mistreated them accountable.
on July 12,2013 | 02:13PM
8082062424 wrote:
Thank you Mrs G And your grandchildren are very blessed to have a tutu like you. everything you stated is true. so many think aloha means we have to bend and serve those who have no aloha them selves
on July 12,2013 | 02:33PM
Mypualani wrote:
Right on you tell it Tutu. I am a tutu also and I love my children and grandchildren dearly so therefore it is not so hard for me to empathize when someone's loved one is murdered. My uncle was murdered along with a family friend in his own home, because his wife was fooling around, her boyfriend ended those two lives because she decided to stay with my uncle, my uncle Larry didn't even know why he was getting shot. Two days later his widow hooks up with the first responding officer. This creep gets out because he says he was drinking and does not remember . 12 years served. I pray for justice for the Kollin Elderts family and friends for they are the ones left behind with the pain because we had to deal too. Yes life goes on but one way or another Deedy will pay dearly for what he has done.
on July 12,2013 | 10:27PM
allie wrote:
bizarre comment
on July 12,2013 | 02:02PM
Mypualani wrote:
I aloha you...I get it
on July 12,2013 | 10:16PM
false wrote:
That kid of stuff happens at private school too. Wonder what the settlements are for parents who are sued? Civil liability for all parents.
on July 12,2013 | 02:08PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Fist fighting is stupid. People die and get seriously harmed in fist fights. I'd shoot a person and defend myself rather than claim to be fighting fair.
on July 12,2013 | 09:48AM
bodysurf_ah wrote:
You may think you can carry concealed here, but I promise you, if I catch you carrying, I'll take away ur freedom for a while and put u through the ringer. You're a tragedy waiting to happen.
on July 12,2013 | 10:23AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
What the hell are you talking about?
on July 12,2013 | 10:50AM
gobows wrote:
PLUS you hurt your OWN knuckles HITTING the other GUY in the FACE.
on July 12,2013 | 10:24AM
papaya wrote:
Just don't get into a fight like Deedy. Don't approach someone unnecessarily and put yourself in a position to "have to defend yourself." Don't create the situation like Deedy. What crime was occurring that he was stopping, again?
on July 12,2013 | 02:17PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Fist fighting is stupid. People die and get seriously harmed in fist fights. I'd shoot a person and defend myself rather than claim to be fighting fair."

What about walking over to a complete stranger, picking a fight, and kicking him in the chest? Would you do that?

Then if he fought back, would you shoot him in the chest and kill him?

Because that's what the video shows Mr Deedy doing.


on July 12,2013 | 05:54PM
1R1E wrote:
HANA HOU!!
on July 12,2013 | 11:43AM
gobows wrote:
if the jury sees it like that, then Deedy will not get away without a penalty
on July 12,2013 | 08:51AM
gobows wrote:
Someone should put the SECURITY GUARD on stand.....arent they TRAINED to OBSERVE situations?
on July 12,2013 | 09:23AM
Anonymous wrote:
The instigator does not matter. The first scuffle was over when Elderts charged again and choose to continue.
on July 12,2013 | 09:34AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Agreed.
on July 12,2013 | 10:51AM
Taimalie12 wrote:
If Deedy and Zimmerman didn't approach Elderts and Martin with guns, no one would be dead..nuff said
on July 12,2013 | 11:53AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Approaching someone is not against the law.
on July 12,2013 | 12:47PM
8082062424 wrote:
Kicking some one in the chest sure is
on July 12,2013 | 02:35PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
8082062424 wrote: "Kicking some one in the chest sure is"

Mr Kailuaraised seems oblivious of the role that Mr Deedy took in unnecessarily creating and escalating this situation and then using deadly force.

Mr Deedy reminds me of the guy who killed both his parents and then asked the judge for leniency because he was an orphan.


on July 12,2013 | 05:57PM
dsl wrote:
I disagree - The first scuffle would have never happened if Deedy didn't instigate it. Then there wouldn't have been a continuation leading to the shooting death of an unarmed man.
on July 12,2013 | 11:57AM
gobows wrote:
In the VIDEO....Deedy appears to be the AGGRESSOR .......here's what I see: AT 26:45 - Elderts is sitting down. 26:50 - Elderts stands up 27:07 to 27:18 - Deedy can be seen feeling for his GUN. 27:19 - Deedy KICKS Elderts. You can see after this, he doesnt have a slipper on his right foot. 27:21 - Deedy REACHES for his gun. 27:32 - Deedy's friend (girl) tries to RESTRAIN him. up to til point. nobody's been shot. ALOT of verbal must be going on and "posturing" by two drunks. 27:31 - Deedy gets knocked down. 27:49 - Deedy gets up and REACHES again for his GUN. 27:52 - Deedy has GUN out and can see MDonald's counter person HOLD HER EARS. GUN FIRE and Elderts gets SHOT.
on July 12,2013 | 10:11AM
MKN wrote:
@gobows: You conveniently forget to mention that Elderts was moving aggressively at Deedy before Deedy pulled his gun out. Deedy even motioned for Elderts to stop, but Elderts didn't.
on July 12,2013 | 02:46PM
UhhDuhh wrote:
Lot of speculation based on an audio-less video and prior SA articles. Too many people watching CSI. I counted at least fourteen other people in that restaurant in the video and all of their combined interpretations of the events will provide the best picture of the entire incident. Who said what, who did what, etc. will all come out in court. The video is just one piece of evidence so wait until all the facts are presented by both sides, then all the couch lawyers can make accurate judgements based on facts and not on personal racial prejudices. If Deedy is innocent or guilty, it should be because of the facts and not because he is haole. If Elderts called Perrine or Deedy a "haole" that does not make him a good "local". It just makes him racist toward white people. What if Deedy was the brown-skinned local federal agent and Elderts was the mainland haole? Then what? The incident may have started with a racial slur but the incident was between one human being and another human being with a lot of other human beings witnessing it. Let them present all the facts first then let the jury of human beings decide. This is not medieval England nor is it the 60's south but some of you sure make it sound like it is.
on July 12,2013 | 10:46AM
Mypualani wrote:
Good post
on July 12,2013 | 10:57PM
gthx1138y wrote:
Notice this is typical machismo behavior, on several occasions they BOTH had an opportunity to break it off and go their separate ways, they BOTH ignored the women trying to calm them down and break it up. Inescapable truth is one egged on the other, and one ended up dead. Doesn't matter if he was authorized or not, someone died as a result. Since this was not an authorized (or unsanctioned) CIA or SD-TAB Diplomatic Services operation, likely some charges will stick. He will be the prosecution's scapegoat for NOT allowing people to carry firearms. Good job Deedy. At a time when Hawaii needs a way for citizens to protect themselves "in every legal place they have a right to be," when right now the citizen at large has 100% chance to be a victim to criminals who do not care about HRS 134. Just sayin' is all.
on July 12,2013 | 11:23AM
Mei mei wrote:
Although it shouldn't have come to this tragic ending... they both were in the wrong : Elderts for being a racist (even though he has european blood/back-ground) / and Deedy for jumping the gun and being gung-ho in defending "whites". both foolish behaviors, both stirred up with either alcohol and/or drug substance - a lethal combination and very solemn ending. It's truly sad that racism exist in this day in age... Here and nation wide - Can't we just all get along????
on July 12,2013 | 11:49AM
UhhDuhh wrote:
Thank you Mei mei. Finally a sensible post.
on July 12,2013 | 11:58AM
ryan02 wrote:
This may shock people, but it's not illegal to be a racist. It is, however, illegal to kill a someone because you suspect he is a racist. And deliberately provoking a reaction from the other person, even to the point of kicking them, is not "self-defense." So yes, being racist is wrong, but it's not illegal. The two "wrongs" here are not even remotely equal.
on July 12,2013 | 02:47PM
MKN wrote:
@ryan02: It is illegal to kick someone and really it should have stopped there with Elderts calling the cops. However, Elderts decided to retaliate by rushing Deedy not once but twice. It was the second time that got Elderts killed.
on July 12,2013 | 03:32PM
UhhDuhh wrote:
What I get from Mei mei is two drunks getting racist and one of them is dead. Racism may have started it and racism may have ended it but neither person was right either way. Because of racism, not the legality or illegality of it, one person died and the other person may go to jail.
on July 12,2013 | 04:02PM
Taimalie12 wrote:
If Deedy and Zimmerman didn't approach Elderts and Martin with guns, no one would be dead..nuff said
on July 12,2013 | 11:56AM
allie wrote:
agree..and deedy was far to new in town to care about a racial slur. He did not take offence at "haolee" He was drunk and belligerent. No heroes in this story
on July 12,2013 | 12:22PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
That's your opinion. You have no evidence if he was drunk besides you're own personal opinion. Elderts choose to escalate it a second time around and paid with his life.
on July 12,2013 | 12:51PM
hapaguy wrote:
There was testimony that he was out barhopping and drinking. There was testimony from an HPD Officer (and others) that he reeked of alcohol, slurred his speech, and had trouble balancing. I am sure an HPD Officer can spot a drunk when he sees one. How much more intellectually dishonest can you be?
on July 12,2013 | 02:01PM
gobows wrote:
the NOT SO SMART HPD officer, didnt put it in his report. therefore, NOT ADMISSIBLE. He ALSO, posted his OPINION of whether he thought Deedy was guilty or not on his personal Facebook page. THAT has been taken down. HPD is TAINTED in this case.
on July 12,2013 | 02:30PM
hapaguy wrote:
It's not like his testimony contradicts his report. Because he didn't put it in his report does not invalidate his testimony......Judge Ahn has not ruled on the Officers testimony yet . All these law enforcement types look out for one another so I am sure at the time he thought that leaving out that Deedy was stinking drunk was a good thing. But upon further review, I am sure that officer regrets not putting that in his initial report. Also, because one officer posts his opinion on his Facebook page does NOT taint the whole HPD....
on July 12,2013 | 03:42PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
"It's not like his testimony contradicts his report. Because he didn't put it in his report does not invalidate his testimony" Yes it does. If it's not in the report then it didn't happen.
on July 12,2013 | 04:13PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "It's not like his testimony contradicts his report. Because he didn't put it in his report does not invalidate his testimony" Yes it does. If it's not in the report then it didn't happen."

Actually it does. You have the sworn testimony of a HPD officer. The judge allowed his testimony into evidence.


on July 12,2013 | 05:59PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
And it also came out that the HPD officer who testified was prejudice towards the case. HPD officers are either covering for Deedy since he's a cop or the most incompetent force on the planet. What kind of police officer investigates a murder and doesn't get a warrant for a blood test if they think the defendant is legally impaired?
on July 12,2013 | 02:43PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "And it also came out that the HPD officer who testified was prejudice towards the case."

By "prejudiced," I think you mean the responding officer had an opinion regarding whether Mr Deedy committed murder in the case he was personally investigating.


on July 12,2013 | 09:59PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
No, the Officer posted on his Facebook that he thought Deedy was guilty.
on July 13,2013 | 05:39AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I think we can agree that the investigating officer came to the conclusion that Mr Deedy was guilty of murder.

I find it odd that you are somehow willing to give Mr Deedy a complete pass for drinking and going bar hopping while armed in direct violation of State Dept policy. And give him a pass for approaching, assaulting, threatening and eventually shooting a complete stranger who didn't represent a threat to any one, but seem inordinately outraged that the one of the investigating officers would have come to the conclusion that Mr Deeey was guilty of murder.


on July 13,2013 | 05:59AM
papaya wrote:
Good point. But who chose to escalate it the FIRST time...Deedy.
on July 12,2013 | 02:19PM
gobows wrote:
Deedy took it from VERBAL to PHYSICAL. Kicked Elderts Elderts responded with PHYSICAL response. Deedy, KNOWING he had a GUN, PULLED AND SHOT Elderts.
on July 12,2013 | 02:37PM
MKN wrote:
@gobows: Deedy only pulled the gun during the second time that Elderts rushed him. Deedy even motioned for Elderts to stop, but Elderts didn't so sadly that was his fatal mistake.
on July 12,2013 | 03:37PM
hapaguy wrote:
Everyone keeps saying that Elderts was harassing Perrine but it was reported that Elderts told Perrine something to the effect of : "Why so sad? We live Hawaii. Cheer up"....or words to that effect. You can see in the video that Elderts was laughing at Perrine at one point......This is the reason Perrine said he never felt threatened....
on July 12,2013 | 12:15PM
papaya wrote:
Maybe Deedy was defending himself. But the question we have to ask is, "Why was he in a position that made it necessary to defend himself?" Deedy put himself in that position. What crime was actively being committed that Deedy, as law enforcement, felt the absolute need to get involved and save life or property? THAT is why law enforcement carry their weapons off-duty, so they can stop life threatening crimes from occurring in their presence and protect lives. Not to be the playground sheriff.
on July 12,2013 | 02:25PM
Peacenik wrote:
And you heard or read this where?
on July 12,2013 | 03:27PM
hapaguy wrote:
There was reporting on it right after the shooting. I will see if I can find a link....
on July 12,2013 | 03:58PM
Peacenik wrote:
thanks
on July 12,2013 | 05:53PM
hapaguy wrote:
Well I've been looking for it but can't find any reference to that but I recall it was reported shortly after the killing so long time ago.....so much was said a lot if inaccurate including Elderts family's attorney...so could have been false idk....
on July 12,2013 | 08:58PM
inverse wrote:
The other video shows Elderts constantly staring at Perrine at the ordering counter but Perrine did not want to look back at Elderts. Had Perrine looked back at Elderts there would have been a physical confrontation between the two but Perrine is not that kind of guy, and it shows on how he testified in court which was wishy washy and spoke like an intimidated individual. That in itself is not a negative trait of Perrine however Elderts and others who feel the need to act like a bully must realize many others do not react the same way and some carry weapons and maybe even in an altered state from alcohol. I am NOT saying Elderts deserved to get killed, however when people feel the need to play with fire, sooner or later they most likely will get burned.
on July 12,2013 | 03:50PM
eljay wrote:
Portugese are Caucasians they do not consider themselves Haole because they came to the islands to work the plantations not own them... but they are Caucasians...look it up...
on July 12,2013 | 01:57PM
shanik wrote:
that video is heavy!
on July 12,2013 | 02:10PM
ryan02 wrote:
UhhDuhh said, "What if Deedy was the brown-skinned local federal agent and Elderts was the mainland haole? Then what?" So let's say Deedy was an off-duty HPD officer wearing shorts (not a uniform) and carrying his gun. This off-duty cop went out drinking at 2:00 a.m. He meets up with Elderts, a white guy who was drunk and possibly high, who spouts racists crap -- maybe calling Asian tourists "J@ps" or something. Off-duty HPD cop gets offended. Off duty cop confronts the drunk white guy, even kicking white guy in the leg. White guy then pushes off-duty cop. Off-duty cop pulls his gun and kills white guy. Umm . . . . . . . . I still say that's illegal. You cannot (whatever your race may be) deliberately provoke another person, even to the point of kicking them, and then when you get the expected reaction, use "self-defense" as an excuse to kill them.
on July 12,2013 | 02:42PM
BIG wrote:
If there was audio in this video...then you wouldnt have to f..n guess what was what
on July 12,2013 | 03:09PM