Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 24, 2014         

CHRISTOPHER DEEDY TRIAL


 Print   Email   Comment | View 235 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Defense questions witness’s knowledge of agent

Deedy’s lawyer examines Shane Medeiros’ belief that Deedy had a Taser

By Ken Kobayashi

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:22 p.m. HST, Jul 31, 2013


A defense attorney suggested Monday that a key prosecution witness knew that State Department Special Agent Christopher Deedy was a law enforcement officer when the witness said he initially thought the agent was carrying a Taser electronic stun gun.

Shane Medeiros, 24, a close friend of Kollin Elderts, testified that Deedy didn’t identify himself as a law enforcement officer before he shot Elderts early Nov. 5, 2011, at the McDonald’s Kuhio Avenue restaurant.

Medeiros said he first thought Deedy had a Taser before realizing the weapon was a gun.

State law prohibits members of the public from carrying Tasers, but police officers are exempted from the prohibition.

Deedy’s lawyer Karl Blanke asked Medeiros whether the reason he thought the weapon was a Taser was that he knew the agent was a law enforcement officer.

Circuit Judge Karen Ahn upheld an objection to the question by the prosecution as “argumentative.”

Blanke, however, was permitted to ask Medeiros whether he has ever seen anyone who isn’t a law enforcement officer carrying Tasers.

Medeiros testified that women carry Tasers, but he said he has not seen a man who is not an officer carry the weapon. “But I’m sure they do,” he added.

Medeiros testified he thought of a Taser because he didn’t want to believe what he saw was a gun.

“I just didn’t want to believe someone would be carrying a gun in a crowded McDonald’s,” he said.

Medeiros, a key prosecution witness, returned to the stand Monday morning for questioning by the defense in the 13th day of Deedy’s murder trial.

Deedy, 29, of Arlington, Va., who was here for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference, is charged with shooting Elderts, 23, of Kailua, after drinking beer at Chinatown and Waikiki bars.

Deedy’s defense is that he wasn’t intoxicated and that he identified himself as a law enforcement officer before firing his 9 mm Glock to ward off an attack by Elderts.

Ahn recessed the trial for the afternoon to give jurors a chance to return home and take precautions because of Tropical Storm Flossie.

The trial is scheduled to resume today later than the usual 9 a.m. start because of the weather.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 235 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(235)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
MalamaKaAina wrote:
"What difference, at this point, does it make?" ~ Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
on July 30,2013 | 01:52AM
thos wrote:
She will learn the answer to that question as she plots and connives to become the 45th POTUS on January 20, 2017. Meanwhile it is entirely appropriate to consider the moral tone she has established as the head of the State Department, a moral tone that casts a blind eye on puerile DSS agents who see nothing wrong with taking their concealed government side arm into a drinking establishment and then picking a fight with an unarmed civilian to show how macho he is. Thus does the true legacy of Hillary sharpen in focus - - a dysfunctional performer when Slick gave her a west wing office and she made a dog’s breakfast out of “Hillary Care” two decades ago and utterly incompetent to run State as evidenced by her botching of the Benghazi debacle.
on July 30,2013 | 05:23AM
tiki886 wrote:
Hillary Clinton runs this ad, the famous red phone ad, that says when the phone rings at 3 o’clock in the morning, you know, who do you trust to make those snap decisions that could hold all of our lives in the balance? Certainly not Hillary since she refused help and aide to the besieged at Benghazi and had a hand in covering up the murder of 4 Americans.

Another State Dept agent, at 3am in the morning in Hawaii made buying a burger more dangerous than buying alcohol in Chinatown.


on July 30,2013 | 05:53AM
Eradication wrote:
What are you folks talking about? Did I miss the part in t his article that talks about what you are speaking of?
on July 30,2013 | 03:31PM
allie wrote:
Deedy was a nothing low-ranking agent, poorly trained, sent to a nothing conference in Honolulu. I hope the verdict is manslaughter
on July 30,2013 | 06:26AM
PCWarrior wrote:
allie is a nothing low-ranking visitor to Hawaii, poorly trained with the lack of any class whatsoever, living a pathetic life criticizing everyone she can on this site from behind a hidden door called the internet. Freakin' depressed coward.
on July 30,2013 | 10:15AM
allie wrote:
Where is my description wrong hon? Stick to the facts.
on July 30,2013 | 10:51AM
aomohoa wrote:
I actually think both of you have a point.
on July 30,2013 | 11:40AM
8082062424 wrote:
Thing is as much as you may be right about Deddy. PCwarrior is sure right about you
on July 30,2013 | 11:54AM
allie wrote:
PC warrior is actually a friend hon..he is teasing me.
on July 30,2013 | 12:32PM
yrusodz wrote:
no Fred-allie you're just not bright enough to know the difference. Anyone calling you useless and pathetic is not teasing, just citing a well established fact
on July 30,2013 | 03:00PM
kalai wrote:
Alli, The facts are you hate Hawaii, Hawaiians, police and politics. What you do like is the corner in Waikiki you work on! Go back to North Dakota
on July 30,2013 | 01:04PM
aomohoa wrote:
You forgot developers and anyone who makes a decent living.
on July 30,2013 | 03:22PM
aomohoa wrote:
Allie seems to think you are a friend and are just teasing. Wow you have one bizarre sense of humor if that's true. LOL
on July 30,2013 | 03:21PM
Eradication wrote:
Nohting conference "Alfred"?
on July 30,2013 | 03:32PM
false wrote:
NUTS.
on July 30,2013 | 12:58PM
control wrote:
malama just wants to be first on these threads so we shouldn't even bother feeding this troll.
on July 30,2013 | 07:35AM
Rivergrouch wrote:
totally agree......hey malama go CRAWL BACK UNDER YOUR LAVA ROCK
on July 30,2013 | 11:21AM
Mypualani wrote:
Is that all the defense has on cross? C'mon defense Deedy is on trial for the out come of what his life will be like if convicted. job family wife the whole dang thing. Deedy is possibly looking at 20 years surely you guys can do better. well we just have to wait and see what the defense presents when it's their turn. I am on the fence since Medeiros got on the stand, why oh why did he have to go with the stink-eye thing. Perrine was just some guy looking for a meal after a night out drinking not bothering anyone. He sits there the whole time until the shots are fired from the gun.
on July 30,2013 | 02:58AM
false wrote:
Stink eye is our only weapon in a world where we are supposed to be invisible.
on July 30,2013 | 05:46AM
hanalei395 wrote:
I think stink eye is a return to someome who was staring at you.
on July 30,2013 | 06:09AM
control wrote:
no, the stink eye is a challenge, to make the other guy back down, one guy's non verbal way of showing he is the aggressor and the better of the two. fights occur because some people don't back down, us guys have all learned when they see someone staring at them to avoid eye contact lest we get into a fight. Dumb local thing that we learned to avoid many years ago but others don't know about it.
on July 30,2013 | 07:28AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
The stink eye challenge?
on July 30,2013 | 07:54AM
false wrote:
Stay tune it that may be the next reality show. "The Hawaiian Stink Eye" - sponsored by WHAT!??!
on July 30,2013 | 01:02PM
Mypualani wrote:
Cracking up ! Thanks false laughter is good medicine. Better than beer.
on July 30,2013 | 02:08PM
Tahitigirl55 wrote:
Don't forget the slipper action along with the stink eye.
on July 30,2013 | 10:26PM
hanalei395 wrote:
To some, they think an unknown person staring, without a reason, is a put-down, a non-verbal way of saying, "I'm better than you". Besides the stink eye, I think most respond with "You OK?"
on July 30,2013 | 07:57AM
false wrote:
Not to the local boys.
on July 30,2013 | 01:02PM
Mypualani wrote:
Me I smile at um and say howzit, how you?
on July 30,2013 | 02:09PM
sak wrote:
Others like Eldert and Medeiros respond with a FalseCrack to the head, then a 2 against 1 beat down.
on July 30,2013 | 02:26PM
Mypualani wrote:
Leering. Is the Caucasian way of saying stink Eye.
on July 30,2013 | 04:22PM
aomohoa wrote:
Hey sometimes I stare and I'm not evening looking at you. I'm thinking of something else. I'm not doing stink eye I promise.
on July 30,2013 | 09:31AM
false wrote:
Be careful that could get you a "WHAT" then a punch in the nose.
on July 30,2013 | 01:03PM
Mypualani wrote:
Just smile at them, it lets them know that you are friendly.
on July 30,2013 | 02:10PM
aomohoa wrote:
That's what I do and it does work:) You always do better with being friendly and respectful. You are right Mypualani:) Especially being that I am a Haole.
on July 30,2013 | 03:24PM
Mypualani wrote:
You my dear are correct, in my work capacity "stink eye" can ruin a good activity or group session. I usually defuse the situation on the spot and ask said person offended by the eye, hey why do you think he/she is looking at you? Let's go find out, usually it turned out that a person looks like someone or a relation, or sometimes I would encourage the person being looked at or doing the looking to smile and say hi. Because if it is a stare down just to be a jerk, oh nay we having a conversation and no more activities until you can get over your issues/ self.
on July 30,2013 | 12:42PM
allie wrote:
Madeiros was another nothing troublemaker likely urging his so-called "friend " on. Lot of useless dudes like this in Waikiki every night.
on July 30,2013 | 06:27AM
wiliki wrote:
I agree. And he also appeared drunk. Too bad he wasn't tested.
on July 30,2013 | 08:06AM
allie wrote:
yup
on July 30,2013 | 08:39AM
aomohoa wrote:
Too much testosterone and too much alcohol never mixes well.
on July 30,2013 | 03:27PM
saveparadise wrote:
That part of the testimony shows Medeioros is a liar and that he is trying to persuade false witness. Joker is not credible.
on July 30,2013 | 09:23AM
saveparadise wrote:
Mypualani, the defese has established that Medeiros is a liar. If I was on the jury I would not be able to take his testimony as credible. Each juror will be different and who knows if they will be able to see this.
on July 30,2013 | 09:15AM
Mypualani wrote:
Not arguing but what are your thoughts on this? How did the defense show him to be a liar., was it the taser? Yeah I get that. Thing is there's people I know who carry taser though it's not legal.
on July 30,2013 | 12:46PM
mitt_grund wrote:
Defense counsel appears to be reaching now, to create even the slightest doubt in the mind of jurors. I suppose if one needed a defense lawyer, they would pick this man. But what these people are willing to do to make their big bucks, so they can live the easy life puts them at the level of vermin.

Kind of reminds me of my conversation with a guy I struck up a conversation with many years ago. He remarked that he was a lawyer, but he paused and said seriously, "But I'm a good lawyer - a patent attorney, not one of them."


on July 30,2013 | 11:14AM
control wrote:
we shall have to see if the defense is reaching. depends on their witnesses. if their witnesses can contradict the prosecution witnesses then it could leave doubt for a murder 2 conviction. I rather wait and see what the defense has to offer, he must have something to ask certain medeiros questions.
on July 30,2013 | 11:28AM
Mypualani wrote:
Yes I agree with you on waiting control.
on July 30,2013 | 12:48PM
nippy68 wrote:
deedy is guilty. no "if's", "ands", or "buts" he did wrong. two wrongs doesnt equal a right everything deedy did was unjust.
on July 30,2013 | 06:06AM
Peacenik wrote:
i think it's the opposite. Medeiros and Elderts were the instigators using the H word and F words. Wonder what would happened if they tried that trick on the 2 Black marines? Deedy was a Fed Agent sent to assure safety was doing what cops do, get involved. He warned elderts he had a gun and Elderts, said shoot me, just F'n shoot me. The cocaine made him feel invincible. Both Elderts and Medeiros had prior arrests. The records should be made known. Seem they have a tendency to get into trouble with their attitude. Medeiros should be assigned more blame, instead of acting like a choir boy.
on July 30,2013 | 06:42AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Which means ....."H word and F Word" = shoot to kill. That's not going to work. For Deedy, he will hear those words again in OCCC or Halawa. (That so-called "H word" is in the Hawaiian dictionary and is in common usage and is not derogatory. Outsiders who move here and don't get it, think it is. And even without the "F word" before it).
on July 30,2013 | 07:14AM
allie wrote:
Oh it is racially derogatory and is similar to the N word. And everyone knows it
on July 30,2013 | 07:55AM
hanalei395 wrote:
As I said, outsiders who move here, don't get it. And outsider allie will again be out. Outta here, outta Hawai'i ASAP. ..... Just get the .... out.
on July 30,2013 | 08:08AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Don't try and act like it's not deragatory. Everyone who lives here knows it is.
on July 30,2013 | 08:38AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
The deragatory word is the English "F". Ha0'le is part of the language. Get over the urban myth.
on July 30,2013 | 08:56AM
hanalei395 wrote:
It's a Hawaiian word, it means Caucasian, it was ALWAYS here and it is NOT going anywhere. Unlike you, who someday will not be here, that Hawaiian word will STILL be here.
on July 30,2013 | 08:56AM
TigerEye wrote:
Originally meant "foreigner."
on July 30,2013 | 09:36AM
hanalei395 wrote:
"Everyone who lives here knows it is". ......What a stupid statement. Just as stupid as allie. "Kailua raised"? No, you sound like an outsider who just moved here. Local Caucasians call other local Caucasians that so-called "H" word. (Unfortunately, for some reason, it's now "censored" by SA). In fact, it's even used as a term of endearment. For people like Kailua, who, no doubt, never heard it as an endearment term, just think it as teamed up with the "F" word and the tone of voice to go with it.
on July 30,2013 | 09:42AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Sorry, hanalei, born and raised on Oahu. You can try and twist it in your mind that it's not a mean thing to say but that doesn't make it true. It's a hurtful word and Elderts and his buddy were definitely being demeaning the night they used it.
on July 30,2013 | 09:47AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Kailua ...You said ... "EVERYONE who lives here knows it is". ... Of course, that's stupid and not true. As for your problem, you're just a sad sack, .... and obviously, with no sense of humor.
on July 30,2013 | 10:16AM
walaau808 wrote:
It's not when used to describe someone...and yes, I live and grew up here!
on July 30,2013 | 11:38AM
mitt_grund wrote:
Hawaiian is a funny language in that a single word can have many meanings, primarily through how it is used. "Aloha" is a more benign example of a multi-use word. The "H" word originally was used to mean any foreigner. So, it applied to early Chinese, Spanish, etc., in Hawaii. When I was growing up, it was used to distinguish from local Portuguese and Caucasians from elsewhere, primarily the American kind. When prefaced with the "F" word it is definitely derogatory. When said with negative feeling it is likewise derogatory. As it was used that night by Elderts and Medeiros, it was definitely derogatory, but is that reason enough to kill?
on July 30,2013 | 11:48AM
eoe wrote:
I just laugh when people try to justify the H word by quoting etymology. The N word is also part of a language. So I'll just go around calling people Ns and then when they react against it I will calmly explain how they are just overreacting, that the word just means "black" in several romance languages. What a joke. I'm born and raised her, and yes caucasian, and yes I think it is derogatory. So it doesn't matter what you think. The group in question gets to have the opinion that matters.
on July 30,2013 | 01:15PM
eoe wrote:
"In fact, it's even used as a term of endearment." LOL! Oh yeah, I remember: "Brah, you not bad for one H." "Most Hs no good, but you a'right." "You our H." < All said to me growing up in HNL. All meant very kindly. All completely racist. Sub N for H and then say it out loud. I dare you.
on July 30,2013 | 01:28PM
hanalei395 wrote:
eoe, your "friends" are just as low class as you. That is NOT how it should go, how it should be, by what is meant as a "term of endearment'. I hate to say what you were when you "were growing up".
on July 30,2013 | 02:34PM
allie wrote:
Hanalei is as vicious a racist as we have on these blogs. We all know the H word is meant to hurt. It is aggressive. Yes, it is technically a neutral word but it has been twisted out of shape. It should not be used to wound. We need a post-racial Hawaii. The old divisions hold you people back.
on July 30,2013 | 08:41AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Yes Allie, it's technically a neutral word but team it with the English "F" then it gets twisted out of shape.
on July 30,2013 | 08:58AM
aomohoa wrote:
Any word that can be twisted is always the way you use it. I have friends that say hey Haole. I am one and it doesn't bother me. I still want to get one of those shirt that say Haole on it. I think it's just funny.
on July 30,2013 | 09:37AM
walaau808 wrote:
Correction. The H word was never meant to be hurtful. It certainly has been twisted (both by those who use it incorrectly, and certainly by those who hear it and automatically assume is negative).
on July 30,2013 | 11:42AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
The N word was also never hurtful back in the 1800's. Doesn't make it ok.
on July 30,2013 | 01:26PM
sailfish1 wrote:
The word "haole" is defined in many ways. Depending on when it is used and how it is used can make it derogatory. Facial expression and tone can make a difference. It does NOT have to be preceded with the "F" word to make it derogatory. People here who think otherwise are not as informed as they think.
on July 30,2013 | 09:43AM
sailfish1 wrote:
The word "haole" has many meanings depending on how it is used. Facial expressions and tone make a difference as does who is using it and to whom. Those who say it is not derogatory are not as informed as they think.
on July 30,2013 | 09:48AM
lynnh wrote:
I am not an outsider. I don't care what the Hawaiian dictionary says, it has been twisted and it is used 99% of the time as a racial slur. The fact that you would deny this is so beyond denial it's ridiculous. Own up to your own shortfalls.
on July 30,2013 | 10:36PM
walaau808 wrote:
BS!
on July 30,2013 | 11:37AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Why do they bring up the N word? The F and N word both invented by the
on July 30,2013 | 02:14PM
saveparadise wrote:
C'mon Hanalei, you know it's all about the tone and the body english that goes down with the use of these words.
on July 30,2013 | 09:25AM
allie wrote:
true..and the word actually means foreigner. Last Monday, I heard a "local" man yell at an Afro-American tourist that he was haole. I guess that is true in a literal sense. But the word has come to divide people, not to heal or untie people and it is wrong.
on July 30,2013 | 10:53AM
control wrote:
exactly right, you can say "hey H!" and depending on the situation it could be construed as derogatory and racist. on the other hand I have friends that I say that to and it isn't derogator or racist since it was done as a joke. all depends on the context it was said in.
on July 30,2013 | 11:32AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Hey save ......no kidding? Most who live here, born and raised here, already knows that. And I said so before on other posts, i.e. "if the F word is before it, along with the tone of voice, it is NOT a term of endearment". But some (and I guess, that would include SA) want to "eliminate", "ban", "bar" that so-called "H" word from the Hawaiian language ...... Hawai'i `olelo. ... That is NOT going to happen.
on July 30,2013 | 12:53PM
eoe wrote:
Same argument they used in the deep south.
on July 30,2013 | 01:31PM
hanalei395 wrote:
This a...... is comparing the "deep south" with Hawai'i. ONLY a foreigner thinks that way.
on July 30,2013 | 02:18PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
It's actually a lot more similar than most would think. I lived in the deep south for a few years.
on July 30,2013 | 04:49PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Whoa there is no room for racists in Hawaii - shame on you!
on July 30,2013 | 06:13PM
lynnh wrote:
In response to a preivious comment that I no longer can comment on, you claim to know about your own culture, but you've show you don't even know the meaning of words in the Hawaiian language. You stated: "It's a Hawaiian word, it means Caucasian." Umm... wrong! The word means "foreigner" or "non-Polynesian." Read a book sometime.
on July 30,2013 | 10:41PM
Blackbeard wrote:
The word Haole means without breath. Ha means breath and Ole means without. Haole goes back to the white sailors who arrived here with Cap Cook. Hawaiians greeted and still do with an exchange of breath. The whites did not know the custom and so did not exchange breath with the Hawaiians, hence the word Haole. The word is not derogatory in my area.
on July 30,2013 | 10:25AM
lynnh wrote:
Actually it means "foreigner" of "non-Polynesian" or introduced. Read a Hawaiian dictionary sometime.
on July 30,2013 | 10:45PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
You must be new to Hawaii or ignorant of the various historical connotations of the H word. Please educate yourself. It is derogatory.
on July 30,2013 | 12:21PM
hanalei395 wrote:
"You must be new to Hawai'i" ....Some dummy, calling a Keiki O Ka Aina that. ....If you think it's "derogatory", that's YOUR problem. ......... Live and suffer with it.
on July 30,2013 | 01:08PM
eoe wrote:
See my post above about etymology. My relatives, who don't speak english, have a language where the word for a black person is 95% the N word - it sounds almost exactly like it. Lets just say they don't come from a particularly culturally-sensitive country, but even they are smart enough to understand that when in the US they don't use that word when they are speaking to each other. I could care less if you are keiki o ka aina, but using that word and then trying to justify it makes you one thing - a racist. Period.
on July 30,2013 | 01:23PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Trying to change the Hawaiian language, IN HAWAI'I, a word that means Caucasian, makes YOU a racist who thinks the original language of Hawai'i should be the way you want. Besides English, Hawaiian is the OFFICIAL language of Hawai'i. And a certain word in it will NOT be "banned".
on July 30,2013 | 01:58PM
eoe wrote:
Nobody is trying to ban it. Just saying if you use it you are a racist. Especially if you bend over backward and come up with all kinds of ridic justification for why it isn't. Just like they did in the deep south. Yep, said it again, and I'm no "foreigner" my birth certificate says Kapiolani. I've sat in a house with my friend's racist father in downstate Illinois while he made the EXACT same arguments you are making now. That no one is going to tell him what he can say and not say, and besides, he has plenty of black friends and none of them ever complain when he says it to them in fact they understand that he doesn't mean nothing by it ... what .. a ... joke.
on July 30,2013 | 03:28PM
hanalei395 wrote:
You don't get it. I don't care that you were born here, I said you THINK like a foreigner. You compared the "deep South" with Hawai'i. And that "Just saying it .....you are a racist". No Dummy, saying it, positively, is NOT being "racist.
on July 30,2013 | 05:11PM
eoe wrote:
Again, no arguments, just name calling.
on July 30,2013 | 05:44PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
So I take it you don't have a problem with other derogatory terms like the N word and the other words like J_P? It's just part of the language. No harm intended right?
on July 30,2013 | 01:27PM
hanalei395 wrote:
I don't say it. That's part of your language. And why you say it, only you would know..
on July 30,2013 | 02:08PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Kailuaraz, the N and your j- p is NOT part of the Hawaiian language. Again it was termed used by the
on July 30,2013 | 02:17PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Whoa there is no room for racists in Hawaii - shame on you!
on July 30,2013 | 06:13PM
lynnh wrote:
You said later on in this discussion: Trying to change the Hawaiian language, IN HAWAI'I, a word that means Caucasian, makes YOU a racist who thinks the original language of Hawai'i should be the way you want. Besides English, Hawaiian is the OFFICIAL language of Hawai'i. And a certain word in it will NOT be "banned"." First of all, the "H" word existed long before Hawaiians ever knew white men existed, so how can it mean Caucasian? The word has been twisted from its original meaning by "your" culture. The original meaning of the word is well documented as meaning "introduced" or "foreign". You really need to stop shooting your mouth off. You don't do your own culture any justice.
on July 30,2013 | 10:53PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Peacenik wrote: "Deedy was a Fed Agent sent to assure safety was doing what cops do, get involved. He warned elderts he had a gun and Elderts, said shoot me, just F'n shoot me. The cocaine made him feel invincible. Both Elderts and Medeiros had prior arrests. The records should be made known. Seem they have a tendency to get into trouble with their attitude. Medeiros should be assigned more blame, instead of acting like a choir boy."

A couple of things. No one has yet testified that Elderts was proceeding any words with the "f word." Not Perrine, the cashier, or Deedy's friend. Not that I think it makes a difference but still, you shouldn't simply create your own facts to try to make the situation sound worse than it was.

Yes, Elderts had prior arrests. One for DUI and another for disorderly conduct. Or as I like to call it, "Honolulu City Council material."

What "blame" do you want to assign to Medeiros? I watched the video and didn't see Medeiros approach, confront, kick and shoot anyone. I didn't see him run around someone trying to calm him down to continue his melee. Deedy, on the other hand, did do those things.

Finally, Deedy was a special agent with the State Dept here to provide security for Diplomatic Security Service. His duties and training did NOT including starting drunken brawls after a night a of drinking. He got off a plane from the mainland and went out for a night of "craziness" (his words) and to the regret of everyone, brought his service weapon bar hopping. He confronted a seated, unarmed man whose only "crime" was that Deedy didn't like his attitude. Deedy threatened him, kicked him and then shot him.

If Deedy wanted to "assure safety," in arguably one of the US's safest cities, he should have left his gun at home, gone to bed at a decent hour, and focused on being ready for his day job instead of trying to relive college spring break with his old fraternity brother.


on July 30,2013 | 07:28AM
control wrote:
let's face it, deedy wasn't trained to handle situations like this one. No trained law enforcement officer would bring out and wave a gun around or threaten someone with a gun in a closed quarter situation like at a fast food restaurant. He wasn't trained how to handle drunks so tried to do what he thought would end the incident. Didn't work, had the opposite effect, resulting in a death. We shall have to see what the defense offers, I think they will show that medeiros started it all though, but that's JMHO.
on July 30,2013 | 07:40AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Deedy had his hand on his weapon throughout the arguments. He constantly went back to touching it to feel empowered. Even when Jennifer West was between him, he fumbled with it. Notice he feels brave with his hand on it as he delivered the first kick, escalating the situation. The situation calms down but now Gutkowski gets his face in the mix. He was doing fine when he was facing Deedy with West, trying to calm the situation down. Why would a federal agent constantly tell a person, I'm going to shoot you, with witness who heard it, and with a clear video showing him constanly grabbing his weapon. He really intended to use that weapon.
on July 30,2013 | 08:09AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Oh, also when Deedy had his hand on the weapon, there was no threat of death or serious bodily injury within that group of people. Even Perrine said he didn't feel any threat whatsoever. I really like Gutkowski lying, ah,You going to shoot me or Your not the only one with a gun? Trying to put it in the juries mind that Elderts might be armed. Next we will heard what a dead man said from the mouth of the defendant.
on July 30,2013 | 08:18AM
saveparadise wrote:
Kuli, Not calling you a liar but what if Gutowski is telling the truth? Who is lying? You or Gutowski?
on July 30,2013 | 09:29AM
control wrote:
no properly trained law enforcement officer would have done what deedy did. whether he intended to use the weapon, only deedy knows. Most of us think he did that (bring out the gun and warn about shooting) because he felt that it would stop the altercation. he was totally wrong. he felt that the was helping by getting involved but his actions weren't the brightest and someone got killed.
on July 30,2013 | 11:39AM
allie wrote:
agree...Deedy had no business drawing his gun or challenging a troublemaker who was begging for some confrontation and was being egged on by another troublemaker. Situations like this always escalate.
on July 30,2013 | 08:15AM
Peacenik wrote:
Perrine testified he remember nothing except the H word. What about Medeiros prior arrest? Elderts may have had "only" 2 arrests, but doesn't mean only 2 times he flauted the law, just 2x getting caught. Same with Medeiros, who had an attitude. Medeiros blind-side Gutkowski when he raised his hand to stop Deedy and Elderts from fighting. Doctors confirmed Gutkowski and Deedy were banged up in the face area. Deedy delivered the kick when Eldert got into his space, possibly just a soft one to discourage him. Night of "craziness" to most people is just drinking and having a good time. Was necessirily out to get in a fight, but when heard some swearing and racial incitement, felt the need to get involved, as the oath possibly required him to do. i.e. a doctor on the plane, if someone is in need, will volunteer his service even if he had some drinks, i would imagine. Yes, Deedy should have not drink so much, which was bad judgement on his part, but unforeseen circumstances presented itself that night.
on July 30,2013 | 08:30AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Peacenik confirms Deedy drank too much. When someone gets arrested for DUI, he drank too much. The federal rule was "Drinking and night of Crazyness" equals no carry your government issued weapon. That government paid for weapon, which is funded by tax payers, will be the cause of millions from taxpayers. But the worst thing, is one unarmed person dead. Shame.
on July 30,2013 | 08:50AM
sailfish1 wrote:
There is no evidence that Deedy drank too much. In fact, it is Elderts whose blood alcohol content was much higher than that allowed for driving in addition to signs of marijuana and cocaine use.
on July 30,2013 | 09:19AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
sailfish1 wrote: "There is no evidence that Deedy drank too much. In fact, it is Elderts whose blood alcohol content was much higher than that allowed for driving in addition to signs of marijuana and cocaine use."

Well to be fair, the reason that we don't know exactly how drunk Deedy was is because he was able to invoke his constitutional rights and refuse a drug and alcohol test.

Elderts, having been shot dead by Deedy, had no such constitutional protections... being dead and all.

It is possible that Deedy had even higher levels of cocaine and alcohol that night, but because of his refusal to cooperate with the investigation, we just won't ever know.


on July 30,2013 | 09:46AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
@save paradise. But if Gutkowski is telling the truth, your a liar? In the eyes of the court, Gutkowski changed his statement concerning "not the only one with a gun", statement. Under oath from the Grand Jury, he made no such statement. So he became a "hostile" witness, reserved for those who fib?
on July 30,2013 | 02:33PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Peacenik wrote: "Perrine testified he remember nothing except the H word. What about Medeiros prior arrest? Elderts may have had "only" 2 arrests, but doesn't mean only 2 times he flauted the law, just 2x getting caught. Same with Medeiros, who had an attitude. Medeiros blind-side Gutkowski when he raised his hand to stop Deedy and Elderts from fighting. Doctors confirmed Gutkowski and Deedy were banged up in the face area. Deedy delivered the kick when Eldert got into his space, possibly just a soft one to discourage him. Night of "craziness" to most people is just drinking and having a good time..."

Look. You were the one that wanted to introduce Eldert's criminal history. I pointed out that his criminal history isn't much different than some of our former City Council. You just can't say, "well, I bet he broke the law lots of times anyway."

You keep talking about swearing. Whose testimony led you to believe that Elderts was swearing? Perrine? The Cashier? The two US Marines? Deedy's friend? As far as I know, no one has testified that Elderts was swearing that night. You shouldn't make up that he was swearing, any more than you can make up an imaginary criminal record. Even if he was swearing (and again, there is no evidence that he was!) that is rude, but it's constitutionally protected rudeness.

If Deedy was acting as law enforcement, it would help if you could tell me what law he was enforcing.

You obviously WANT Deedy to be innocent and WANT Elderts to be the bad guy. Since reality doesn't support your beliefs, you are creating your own facts, like Eldert's criminal record embellished with all the crimes you would have liked for him to have committed and Deedy's kick which you want to believe was "possibly just a soft one to discourage him." The FACT is Elderts had a unimpressive criminal record and Deedy confronted, threatened, assaulted and shot Elderts.


on July 30,2013 | 09:13AM
Peacenik wrote:
Well, let's just say Elderts had 2 arrest and Medeiros at least once. Whether the City Council guys had the same, I don't know and they're not on trial. Where do you get I was making up that Eldert's wasn't swearng and what about Medeiros? Elderts said "just F shoot me" and Medeidors, "what you still F staring at me". this inflammatory language esp. in a public place where there are females present. Deedy was trying to warn them to behave, just as police can issue warning if they sense some danger may occur. Let's say Deedy didn't intervene, and Medeiros and Perrine did get into a fight and one got killed. Deedy would be put on the witness stand and asked, 'as an officer required to uphold the law, why did you sit by and do nothing?'. Elderts earlier in the evening smoked pot and did cocaine, both against the law, and I doubt his first time. Medeiros should've been tested too.
on July 30,2013 | 09:40AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I think if anyone should have been tested for drugs and alcohol, it should have been Deedy. I think it is regrettable that after killing Elderts that he refused to cooperate with the investigation.

Also, you can't claim that Elderts brought down Deedy's wrath by swearing IF the example you have of him swearing comes AFTER Deedy has threatened to shoot him.

While I stand in awe of your idea of using deadly force to protect the fairer sex from salty language, I think the phrase "do you want to get shot tonight" is more offensive and disturbing than the f bomb.


on July 30,2013 | 09:57AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Peacenik said " Elderts earlier in the evening smoked pot and did cocaine", why ,because the ME said they were traces? Did anyone take a video of the drug use or set a time date? Did the defense bring expert testimony so say what day this drug use occurred? Your is not relevant.
on July 30,2013 | 01:27PM
olos73 wrote:
@Kalaheo1, as far as I can remember, it was a young woman, I think her last name was Au. She said she wasn't drinking that night because she was the designated driver. She said Eldert's told Deedy, "If you going shoot me, then just F...in shoot me."
on July 30,2013 | 10:27AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
olos73 wrote: @Kalaheo1, as far as I can remember, it was a young woman, I think her last name was Au. She said she wasn't drinking that night because she was the designated driver. She said Eldert's told Deedy, "If you going shoot me, then just F...in shoot me."

You can't claim that Elderts brought down Deedy's wrath by swearing IF the example you have of him swearing comes AFTER Deedy has threatened to shoot him.


on July 30,2013 | 11:18AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Elderts,the dead victim can have amount of alcohol on his system. He didn't carry a gun that night.
on July 30,2013 | 02:35PM
olos73 wrote:
Kalaheo1 said;" As far as I know, no one has testified that Elderts was swearing that night." You wanted to know if anyone testified, well, that woman did, so now you know. If you like read her testimony, go back and archive the story.
on July 30,2013 | 03:20PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
olos73 wrote: "Kalaheo1 said;" As far as I know, no one has testified that Elderts was swearing that night." You wanted to know if anyone testified, well, that woman did, so now you know. If you like read her testimony, go back and archive the story."

Here's the misunderstanding. Above, Peacenik claimed that Deedy felt the need to get involved when he "heard some swearing and racial incitement." I reminded Peacenik that no one had testified that Elderts was swearing and by claiming that Deedy was drawn in because of F bombs, and Peacenik was making stuff up.

Unless Deedy could see into the future and known that Elderts would drop the f bomb AFTER he threatened to shoot him, then you can't claim that that is why Deedy approached him.


on July 30,2013 | 06:18PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Peacenik wrote: "Yes, Deedy should have not drink so much, which was bad judgement on his part, but unforeseen circumstances presented itself that night."

Please tell me which circumstance you felt was "unseen" that night? Spoiler alert: Whatever you say, I'm going to tell you that it WAS foreseen by the US State Dept as evidenced by their strict policy of forbidding carrying your service weapon when out drinking or even within 6 hours of drinking.


on July 30,2013 | 09:17AM
Peacenik wrote:
"Unforeseen" was the verbal swearing and race baiting at the restr. that night. Afterall, you said this was the safest city in the world.
on July 30,2013 | 09:44AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Peacenik wrote: "Unforeseen" was the verbal swearing and race baiting at the restr. that night. Afterall, you said this was the safest city in the world.

See this is your problem. You like to make stuff up. I never, ever said that Honolulu was "safest city in the world." I said that Honolulu was "arguably one of the US's safest cities." Go check. I'll wait.

I'm also saying that getting into a drunken brawl at 3am after a night of drinking isn't particularly unforeseen, especially if your the one doing the threatening, assaulting and shooting. There is a very good reason the State dept prohibits carrying a gun while drinking or even within 6 hours of drinking. It is because unfortunate events like this are ENTIRELY foreseeable.


on July 30,2013 | 10:06AM
Peacenik wrote:
@Kalaheo. there was no "reply" button so answer will be on top. One can go out drinking and paint the town red and not expect to get into brawls. Whether you said safest in US or the world is just splitting hairs to distract from the argument.
on July 30,2013 | 10:56AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
@Kalaheo. "One can go out drinking and paint the town red and not expect to get into brawls. Whether you said safest in US or the world is just splitting hairs to distract from the argument."

Oh, I know one can go out drinking and paint the town red and not expect to get into brawl. In fact Elderts and Perrine were doing just fine at that until Deedy showed with guns LITERALLY blazing.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying a drunken brawl at McDonalds at 3am where everyone has been drinking is perfectly foreseeable AND that's one reason the US State Dept forbids its agents from carrying their service weapon when out drinking or even within 6 hours of drinking.

And catching you making stuff up AGAIN again isn't splitting hairs, it's preventing you from lying about things I've said, and further evidence that you like to make stuff up like claiming that Elderts was dropping f bombs before the incident started and that Deedy delivered a "soft" kick to Elderts chest.


on July 30,2013 | 11:32AM
allie wrote:
Amazing that the place was filled with impotent drunks.
on July 30,2013 | 10:54AM
Peacenik wrote:
@Kalaheo, again no reply button under your comments. Without knowing the actual content of the conversation between Eldert and Perrine, it is difficult to determine Eldert's motives. Perrine did TESTIFY he heard the H word, so I'm not wrong in assuming there was some race baiting going on. I know these types trying to make like their innocent and others are the bad guys. Once at Ala Moana I stop to check a bus schedule. I heard a loud yell from a drunk guy, "get in the back of the line". At first I thought I did do something wrong and apologized, but even after walking away, he continued mocking me. At least his friend seemed embarrassed and the other people, but he act like he just won an MMA title. That's why I feel Medeidos comment were just a ploy to make like they were the offended ones. Like I said, what if E and M tried it on the black marines using the Po--lo word, let see how tough they are.
on July 30,2013 | 12:31PM
allie wrote:
sorry I really find all 3 of the drunks irritating
on July 30,2013 | 12:36PM
control wrote:
we shall have to see what the defense has to offer but for many what peacenik says might be turning out to be so. To others, no matter what the defense has to offer, deedy is guilty of murder and should be convicted.
on July 30,2013 | 07:31AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Lol,funny peacenik. Because two black marines actually came to Elderts aid in the form of court testimony. They actually took Elderts side. I guess they feel they have a duty to defend unarmed Americans.
on July 30,2013 | 07:58AM
Peacenik wrote:
I wouldn't say they took Eldert's side. The prosecute felt their testimony (under oath) would be to their advantage, which it was. The guy said he doesn't drink, being a Muslim. Didn't the 9-11 terrorists go to strips the night before their plane crash? So Catholics don't commit adultery? Witness are require just to tell the truth as asked, not to volunteer any additional information.
on July 30,2013 | 10:51AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Peacenik,9-11 terrorist goes to the strip before their plane crash?Muslim?marine? Do you proof read your comments?
on July 30,2013 | 01:32PM
wiliki wrote:
I agree. Both are painted as so innocent and clean. In truth both are trouble-makers and were drunk and high at the time.
on July 30,2013 | 08:08AM
allie wrote:
yup
on July 30,2013 | 10:55AM
pridon wrote:
If so, he'll eventually walk with a "pardon"
on July 30,2013 | 11:11AM
control wrote:
no, while deedy didn't commit murder (or possibly even manslaughter), he should be hit with charges, terroristic threatening, or some other gun related charges. nobody should be able to wave a weapon around and threaten to shoot someone. he acted recklessly and it caused the death of another person.
on July 30,2013 | 11:44AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
All other aspects of the case aside, who gets into a fight with a guy they know is obviously carrying something?
on July 30,2013 | 06:28AM
GorillaSmith wrote:
Would you be good enough to stop making perfect sense - so the race nuts can get back to their infantile caterwauling? Thank you.
on July 30,2013 | 07:31AM
control wrote:
hothead that thinks he is invicible.
on July 30,2013 | 07:42AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "hothead that thinks he is invicible."

Which hothead are you talking about? The one with the gun?


on July 30,2013 | 07:45AM
control wrote:
no, hothead that sees a gun and doesn't back off, say "whoa", put hands up or something. If you saw a gun wouldn't you immediately react by doing something to avoid getting shot?
on July 30,2013 | 08:06AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "no, hothead that sees a gun and doesn't back off, say "whoa", put hands up or something. If you saw a gun wouldn't you immediately react by doing something to avoid getting shot?"

Yes, I'd like to think so. So far we have heard testimony that Deedy threatened to kill Elderts and delivered a potentially deadly kick to his chest. We have heard testimony that when Deedy drew his weapon, he fired immediately.

In that situation, where you have an angry, drunk appearing individual threatening you with death and actively shooting at you, what would you do to avoid getting shot? Would you try to wrestle the gun away from him or would you get risk standing or running and being shot in the back by a crazed gunman who had already opened fire in a crowded restaurant?


on July 30,2013 | 09:26AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Elderts had plenty of chances to walk away before the gun came out.
on July 30,2013 | 09:50AM
Mypualani wrote:
So did Deedy Kailua, he had chances to walk away as well, with his gun.
on July 30,2013 | 01:01PM
control wrote:
actually testimony said that deedy had his gun out when he was saying "do you want me to shoot you" or whatever he said. elderts then replied some like go ahead and shoot. that meant that elderts had a short window of opportunity to back off but instead challenged deedy to shoot.
on July 30,2013 | 11:47AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Thanks control..you confirm by your comment that Deedy had his gun out and threatened "Do you want me to shoot you"? He did this prior to the shooting thus proving his original intent.
on July 30,2013 | 01:36PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Elderts doesn't have his gun drawn in any part of the video until the end when they are scuffling. That doesn't make any sense.
on July 30,2013 | 05:07PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "All other aspects of the case aside, who gets into a fight with a guy they know is obviously carrying something?"

Fight? I think Elderts justifiably feared for his life and was defending himself. Deedy approached him. We heard a United States Marine testify that he threatened to shoot him. THEN Deedy delivered a unprovoked and potentially deadly kick to his chest.

Wouldn't you fear for your life in such a situation? You are the one who keeps saying how people die in fist fights. Don't you think it is reasonable that Elderts feared for his life and the lives of his friends?

You claim to conceal carry around Oahu. If someone threatened you with death and delivered a kick to your chest, at what point would you fear for your life and defend yourself? Maybe the second kick? Third kick? Or would you wait for your assailant to draw a weapon, point it at you and wait to discover what his intentions were?


on July 30,2013 | 09:40AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I would stand up and leave if someone was threatening to shoot me. I would also call the cops. I'll tell you what I wouldn't do and thats get into a brawl with the person. I definitely wouldn't try and tackle him and start punching him.
on July 30,2013 | 09:50AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
If some stranger kicked you in the chest then you say you WOULDN'T fear for your life? Then why do you think Deedy is claiming that HE feared for his life from the man he had assaulted.

And please don't say it's because he feared Elderts was going to take his gun away and use it on him, because that gets rather circular quickly.


on July 30,2013 | 11:15AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Deedy has a pretty valid claim when there is testimony that Elderts was on top of him and punching him.
on July 30,2013 | 11:32AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: Deedy has a pretty valid claim when there is testimony that Elderts was on top of him and punching him.

Well, to be fair, at that point Deedy had threatened Elderts life, kicked him in the chest, and begun shooting at him. I think it's safe to safe that Elderts feared for his life FIRST. Do you object to Elderts using potentially deadly force to protect himself and his friends from Deedy? Why or why not?


on July 30,2013 | 01:43PM
dsl wrote:
That because you're "perfect" kailuaraised. Fight or flight? Some stand their ground knowing they did nothing wrong.
on July 30,2013 | 11:27AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Stand your ground against a guy with a gun. That's a great plan. I'd rather run and realize you can't win all battles.
on July 30,2013 | 01:29PM
control wrote:
great story kalaheo, you should be a fantasy writer. by the way, if deedy was holding a gun threatening to shoot, why would he try to kick elderts in the chest? maybe if you described how the chain of events occurred then maybe we can understand how elderts felt he needed to attack someone with a gun.
on July 30,2013 | 11:51AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "great story kalaheo, you should be a fantasy writer. by the way, if deedy was holding a gun threatening to shoot, why would he try to kick elderts in the chest? maybe if you described how the chain of events occurred then maybe we can understand how elderts felt he needed to attack someone with a gun."

Please review the video and the sworn testimony of the witnesses so far. You are clearly unfamiliar with the events and time line. All that information s available on the SA website.


on July 30,2013 | 11:57AM
control wrote:
refresh my memory since I keep seeing different stories from different news sources.
on July 30,2013 | 12:06PM
control wrote:
Not sure but what I've been hearing is that at one point, deedy took out his gun or had his hand on his gun and threatened elderts by saying (something like) "want me to shoot you". Elderts then had a chance to back away, put his hands up or anything to diffuse the situation, instead he replied "go ahead and shoot". I am not sure but you describe deedy warning to shoot, then deedy kicked him? not sure, how or why someone holding a gun or having his hand on his gun would try to kick someone? oh I get it, like medeiros, elderts thought that deedy threatened to shoot with a TASER! (kidding).
on July 30,2013 | 12:26PM
allie wrote:
and what was madeiros doing laughing up at the stand. This guy betrayed his "friend," egged him on and then is laughing? Great dude.
on July 30,2013 | 12:38PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
If Deedy wanted to shoot him why didn't he just shoot him? Not get into a fight and risk losing the gun and getting shot himself? That's what I don't understand.
on July 30,2013 | 01:30PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "refresh my memory since I keep seeing different stories from different news sources."

I am happy to help.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/specialprojects/court/christopher-deedy/


on July 30,2013 | 01:45PM
control wrote:
and you believe the stuff that comes from the SA? Like I mentioned before, they are only giving snippets of the trial, not the entire proceedings. they are only giving what they feel the public wants to hear, the only problem is that it does not explain everything. let's hear what you have to say, like why would deedy try to kick elderts if he had a gun out or had his hand on the gun? Like when deedy threatened elderts with shooting why elderts didn't back down or back away if he saw deedy with a gun or make a motion like he was reaching for a gun. You keep mentioning that elderts had no choice but to try to disarm deedy but he had a choice when threatened with getting shot. The hot head instead of retreating attacked instead.
on July 30,2013 | 04:08PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "let's hear what you have to say, like why would deedy try to kick elderts if he had a gun out or had his hand on the gun?"

This is why I'm ignoring your request to write a narrative explaining the sequence of events to you.

No one has suggested that Deedy already had his gun out when he kicked Elderts. Not the defense, not the prosecution, no witness, and certainly not the video. Suggesting that he did implies that you are not familiar with the case.

As for why Deedy would reach back and touch his gun around the time he delivered the kick to Eldert's chest... only Deedy knows the answer to that. He might have wanted to make sure his gun was handy just in case the guy he just kicked defended himself.


on July 30,2013 | 06:29PM
Mythman wrote:
Two dummies on display: the witness who is too dumb to realize his lies are transparent and the judge: "Circuit Judge Karen Ahn upheld an objection to the question by the prosecution as “argumentative.”
on July 30,2013 | 06:34AM
allie wrote:
Anyone check what madeiros arrest/conviction record is. He is a real piece of work and his lack of a moral sense causes him not to see what his own role, however indirect, is in his friend's death.
on July 30,2013 | 08:17AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
"Medeiros testified that women carry Tasers, but he said he has not seen a man who is not an officer carry the weapon". HUH??
on July 30,2013 | 06:34AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Even though they are illegal here, I think a number of women have tasers and stun guns in their purses.
on July 30,2013 | 07:31AM
control wrote:
not pepper spray? I don't think that many women in hawaii have taser and stun guns, rather more have pepper spray.
on July 30,2013 | 07:42AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
And, pepper spray is legal.
on July 30,2013 | 08:34AM
8082062424 wrote:
Very true . but it no longer has to be hidden in your purse . I have 2 one the size of a lip stick and just looks like a flash light on my keys . the second one looks just like a smart phone you can walk with it in your hand and no one would no. there a big market for tassers for women. state side they have tassers party's. . all my friends have at least one. a friend in cali sent them to me. the lil one on my keys give of 3,000,000 volts the one who looks like a smart phone give off 3.8 million volts
on July 30,2013 | 11:20AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
How much weight will the jury put on testimony from defense and prosecutor's witnesses? It's mostly subjective. They must go with the facts and testimony of those not related to either Deedy or Elderts. They should take subject testimony and compare to facts and if it matches, it would lend credence to the facts. If it doesn't, throw it out. In any case, there are no winners in this case........only losers. Too much booze/drugs and testosterone by both parties makes for a bad outcome.
on July 30,2013 | 06:38AM
control wrote:
as with the testimony of the mcd's cashier, when it's their turn the defense will have to present witnesses not related to either side to help bolster their self defense claim. the prosecution is almost finished so we shall have to see what the defense has to offer.
on July 30,2013 | 07:33AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Just curious if Medeiros passed a drug test before testifying? Since his friend was a chronic there is a high probability that he was using drugs as well. It would seem to me that if he passed a drug test that his testimony would be "rock solid".
on July 30,2013 | 07:15AM
allie wrote:
agree..he looks like a low IQ dude. What is his arrest record. What was his role in this tragedy?
on July 30,2013 | 08:18AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Or if Deedy,Gutkowski and West also took a drug test. But like Deedy, they have a right to refuse.
on July 30,2013 | 08:22AM
control wrote:
Actually it is interesting how each news channel and the newspapers portrays the trial and what they choose to print and show. On one channel they showed the defense asking Medeiros if the started the fracas by asking "you like beef". The prosecutor objected but it introduced something that the defense may bring up when it's their turn, that medeiros was the aggressor and instigated a lot of the fight. It might also undermine medeiros' credibility if the defense brings up witnesses that confirmed that he asked to "beef" while Medeiros said he didn't. IMHO, Medeiros' seems questionable, if the defense is correct (about identifying himself), if deedy was reaching for something, how many people would think it would be a taser? Many of us would think it would be a knife, or a gun, but not many of us would think it would be a taser unless he were a law enforcement officer (again IMHO). As someone else mentioned, I think the defense will try to show that Elderts and Medeiros instigated the fight, that they tried to bait another customer with the racial tones and when the guy stared at them they (medeiros) threatened to "beef". Deedy's friend tried to get involved and he and Medeiros started fighting. Deedy tried to break it up but didn't help the situation. We shall have to see what the defense shows. It is unfortunate that we are only shown and are subjected to bits and pieces of the trial because it is hard to come to a conclusion based on selected items that are only shown on tv or newspaper.
on July 30,2013 | 07:25AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I agree about the coverage. I was hoping at least one news source would actually livestream the trial, or live blog or do ANYTHING beside distill 6 hours of complicated testimony down to 1-2 sentences a day or a 5 second snippet on the 6 o'clock news.
on July 30,2013 | 07:50AM
control wrote:
similar to the zimm trial, seems the news media is only showing things to get ratings and not provide objective reporting IMHO.
on July 30,2013 | 08:08AM
Mythman wrote:
the words "objective" and "reporting" cancel each other out...
on July 30,2013 | 06:34PM
wiliki wrote:
Still waiting this morning for the storm in Pearl City... I guess it's not coming. I don't understand Medeiro's ignorance of tasers.... He wasn't asked if he knew, but he was asked if he suspected. It's pretty clear that he lied.
on July 30,2013 | 08:05AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
There no provision for "conceal taser" in any state. That's why women usually carry it on a purse.
on July 30,2013 | 08:27AM
tiki886 wrote:
Concealed or not, it's illegal to possess one in Hawaii except for law enforcement officers.
on July 30,2013 | 08:39AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
I have never seen a taser on a LEO except when they are dressed in full police blue uniform with a badge, ID patch, and agency insignia. I have never ever heard of plainclothes officers carrying a concealed taser. Most LE tasers are bright yellow and too big for under shirt carrying. If Mederios had known this he would be knowledgeable in LE tasers, but it shows he doesn't.
on July 30,2013 | 09:07AM
wiliki wrote:
He has seen one small enough to carry in a purse. That's why he answered the way he did. Maybe he doesn't know about the Hawaii law, but I doubt that.
on July 30,2013 | 03:49PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Ms.Futa, did anybody check the airlines bar tab? That flight from the east coast is long. All transactions are on charge cards.
on July 30,2013 | 08:52AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Watching the video, Deedy approaches Elderts table. He stands there engaging with him. There is no overt action taken by Deedy. 35 seconds later, West comes back into McD, after they realize he not with them. Deedy is more agitated, over Elderts sitting there. West is pushing Deedy back.Gutkowski is also trying to physically restrain Deedy. Elderts is sitting down. It's 1 minute and 10 seconds into the incident when Deedy is feeling for his gun. Mind you we have West,Gutkowski,the marine,the security guard all in between Deedy. Elderts is up on the left side a few feet away. All of the peace makers are focus on Deedy who seems to be aggressing. At one minute and twenty seconds, with his hand still on his weapon, Deedy throws a frontal chest kick to Elderts. Mind you this was done hiding behind West skirt. Gutkowski is getting napkins. Thescuffles start, Deedy is actually pushed back a good 5 ft.by West, Gutkowski is now fighting. Deedy tries to brace himself on Perrines table and throws a left kick. Elderts dispatches him to the floor. Did he mount Deedy? No.Did he have a chance to mount Deedy?Yes. He goes to the door, and actually pulls off Mederios. By this time Deedy is scrambling to get up and shoot Elderts. The gun comes out, Its fight or get shot, at which time Kolin closes in as shots are being fired. The total time from confronting Elderts, to shooting him? 2 minutes 5 seconds.....the total time from 911 to the police arriving? 2 minutes. Most amazing thing? Deedy never talked to Perrine who was 3 ft away. Totally amazing.
on July 30,2013 | 03:17PM
sailfish1 wrote:
Deedy will be acquitted - The jurors and practically everyone in Hawaii are TIRED of seeing people like Elderts and Medeiros drunk and on drugs, big mouthed, loud, intimidating, and challenging people, even women, who even look at them. They are constantly in trouble with the police because they somehow think that they don't have to obey laws.
on July 30,2013 | 09:27AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I agree. I could see Deedy walking strictly on the jurors own prejudice against people like Medeiros and Elderts.
on July 30,2013 | 09:52AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Lol, the jurors own prejudice against people like Mederios and Elderts. Haha,
on July 30,2013 | 01:41PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Laugh now. I remember reading the jury pool had some older Caucasians in it. Do you think they won't have a prejudice? I'm sure the defense is working every angle they have. Not everyone in Hawaii supports Elderts.
on July 30,2013 | 05:10PM
Mrs_G wrote:
Like I said a few days ago, sailfish, we're lucky to have people like you and Deedy come here and show us the error of our ways. . .How did we manage without you? Many thanks!
on July 30,2013 | 10:19AM
dsl wrote:
sailfish and kailuaraised are perfect beings...
on July 30,2013 | 11:29AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
No just sick of racist and drunk/high trouble makers. I'm pretty sure the majority of the state is also.
on July 30,2013 | 01:32PM
Mythman wrote:
I lived in Chinatown back in the day, right off Hotel and every night there was some kind of "beef" - I was known as a local resident so escaped harm but it never failed that someone would get bashed, cut up, go to ER, etc. Once I had a guest from mainland who looked the wrong way at a Mahu who they beat up......
on July 30,2013 | 06:38PM
allie wrote:
Madieros is white as was Elderts. Portuguese are white according to the census. Odd that madieros betrayed his friend like he did. A real friend would take a drunk friend aside and calm him down and separate him. Madieros egged Elderts on as he had many times before. Then walked away from the consequences.
on July 30,2013 | 10:58AM
Mythman wrote:
Good observation, Allie - agree
on July 30,2013 | 06:39PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
All-lie, Medeiros and Elderts are locals to the max. They relate to their cultural roots, NOT their nationality. Strange that you can't get that.
on July 30,2013 | 06:49PM
control wrote:
while elderts and medeiros weren't saints, I still feel that deedy will be convicted of something, maybe terroristic threatening or something, unlike the zimm case I think Hawaii might have a law or two that florida doesn't. I don't think that waving a gun around even if he was licensed to carry a concealed weapon is right, there must be a hawaii law against that.
on July 30,2013 | 11:56AM
saveparadise wrote:
I must say Elderts had some balls for saying "if you going shoot me then shoot me". It would show that he has little regard for his own life. If I was anybody challenging a person like this it would inform me that he has disregard for my life as well. No good intentions on either side.
on July 30,2013 | 09:34AM
aomohoa wrote:
I'm a Haole and I don't mine being called one if it's not said in a nasty way.
on July 30,2013 | 09:38AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
You need to study up on the 1932 connotation of the H word and how it became derogatory ever since that date.
on July 30,2013 | 06:22PM
aomohoa wrote:
Oh no, is it a bad thing that I am an "H"? LOL
on July 30,2013 | 09:39AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Aomohoa, no not bad.Got good H and bad H. Just ask your MD on your next lab test. Lol.
on July 30,2013 | 01:44PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Whoa there is no room for racists in Hawaii - shame on you!
on July 30,2013 | 06:22PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Elderts had plenty of chances to walk away before the gun came out."

Deedy's kick to Elderts chest to shooting him dead took place over the course of about 30 seconds.

I would also submit to you that Elderts shouldnt have had to leave his burgers behind and leave Mcdonalds because Deedy happened to be drunk bully.


on July 30,2013 | 10:11AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Did Elderts not have a chance to disengage? Elderts had plenty of chances to get out of McDonalds. I'd gladly leave some fast food behind if it meant not getting shot.
on July 30,2013 | 10:34AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Kailuaraz, the video shows the Deedy posse leaving Mcd. West goes out, Gutkowski goes pass Deedy waving to the cashiers. Out the door! 20 seconds on Kuhio, Gutkowski ask West " Hey where's Deeds"? Huh? I thought you were watching him? OMG! And you say Elderts should have left?
on July 30,2013 | 01:49PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Did Elderts not have a chance to leave? Answer me that. I didn't see Deedy holding him there or forcing him to stay and fight.
on July 30,2013 | 05:11PM
MakaniKai wrote:
F'in Ha @le or what evahs was blasted at Christopher Deedy.....he is a sworn officer in Federal Service should have ignored the words and continued to order his Happy Meal and carried on with his evening. His lack of maturity and alcohol in his system lead to this tragic outcome. Best be sayin ALOHA to da Mrs. and Aloha to a new kin Ha @le love. Aloha
on July 30,2013 | 10:30AM
Mythman wrote:
Isn't there a liability issue of Agent Deedy ignores a crime in progress?
on July 30,2013 | 06:42PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Mythman wrote: "Isn't there a liability issue of Agent Deedy ignores a crime in progress?"

What crime was in progress?


on July 30,2013 | 07:27PM
MakaniKai wrote:
F 'in Ha @le or what evahs was blasted at Christopher Deedy.....he is a sworn officer in Federal Service should have ignored the words and continued to order his Happy Meal and carried on with his evening. His lack of maturity and alcohol in his system lead to this tragic outcome. Best be sayin ALOHA to da Mrs. and Aloha to a new kin Ha @le love. Aloha
on July 30,2013 | 10:31AM
allie wrote:
agree..that is why I say it is manslaughter. Elderts was high on drugs and drink and was a coward and failure as a man. But did he deserve to be shot? No. He deserved to be ignored.
on July 30,2013 | 10:59AM
Usagi336 wrote:
Those are very strong words. Which are totally uncalled for. Did you know him?
on July 30,2013 | 01:42PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
One glaring fact remains, how is it that a law enforcement officer kicked the Elderts when he was not lunging at him? There is no reason for that action within law enforcement procedures. Law enforcement officers are trained to avoid physical altercation as much as possible. If Elderts had lunged at him, which he did not, then his action would have been justified. Of course the defense will try to avoid making that the issue because it cannot justify it. But it will try to color it with other things to try to create a smoke screen and to make it seem irrelevant. I would be interested to see what Brook Hart does with this piece of evidence as may be what will be the nail in the coffin for the case. Of course, he will try to discredit all the prosecution's witnesses. But the fact remains, Deedy threw the first "punch" in kicking Elderts. When he did so he effectively became a criminal.
on July 30,2013 | 10:46AM
control wrote:
no, elderts and medeiros started it by calling perrine the h word. then it escalated when they got into a staredown with perrine. the defense will try to portray elderts and medeiros as the instigators and deedy trying to stop the interaction between medeiros and gutowski. we all agree that deedy wasn't properly trained to handle situations like this and he acted irresponsibly, especially throwing the kick, he felt that by being the aggressor that everyone would back down but it had the opposite effect. then he drew his gun hoping to stop it and that also had the opposite effect. Deedy wasn't completely innocent either.
on July 30,2013 | 12:02PM
Peacenik wrote:
Elderts was coming into Deedy's space. Perhaps to dissuade him, he threw a kick to say get back. I don't think I'd be wrong to say elderts and Medeidos are scappers who've been in other fights or near fights. The jury should be allowed to hear why Elderts and Medeidos were arrested for in the past. Medeidos it seems is only 21 yet has an arrest record. What was it for is the 64,000.00 question and the details of Elderts prior arrest.
on July 30,2013 | 01:01PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Peacenik wrote: "Medeidos it seems is only 21 yet has an arrest record. What was it for is the 64,000.00 question and the details of Elderts prior arrest."

Did I miss something? Is Medeidos accused of breaking the law?

The $64,000.00 question is how high was Deedy's blood alcohol when he picked a fight with Elderts and shot him.


on July 30,2013 | 01:23PM
Peacenik wrote:
It was mentioned last night on the channel 6 news, Medeiros had one prior arrest. Did not say what it was for. Elderts and possibly Medi had pot and cocaine in their system. Illegal drugs. People drinking beer at least has some control as one can only consumed so many beers in one night. With pot and cocaine it's different.
on July 30,2013 | 02:57PM
control wrote:
actually the TV news said that elderts was arrested in Kailua for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest in 2008. He also had a DUI conviction in 2010. The last one was a recent arrest but police didn't prosecute or something but it didn't go to trial and nothing happenned to elderts. Read it in the SA if you want to believe it or not. as I said, the SA is suspect for not disclosing everything.
on July 30,2013 | 04:13PM
Peacenik wrote:
I think the last pertained to Medeiros, cause the announcer was commenting on his testimony during the trial.
on July 30,2013 | 04:36PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Peacenik, Elderts was sitting quietly ,while Deedy was looming over him, getting into his space, with Deedys friends actually restraining him, while Elderts sat there. It really looks like the bully Deedy was baiting for a confrontation.
on July 30,2013 | 01:55PM
Peacenik wrote:
Video shows Elderts approaching Deedy about 4' from the counter. When he knocked Deedy down Deedy's back was almost was up to the counter. .
on July 30,2013 | 03:00PM
hapaguy wrote:
Way to take what happened out of context Peacenik. In the context of what actually happened, Deedy kicks Elderts, then Gutowski comes over and confronts Elderts, 2 against 1 (Deedy and Gutowski against Elderts). Elderts scuffles with Gutowski. Medeiros comes to Elderts aid and Medeiros and Gutowski end up out the side door as Elderts pushes (or punches) Deedy to the ground. Elderts turns to help Medeiros as Deedy gets up and approaches Elderts from behind. Elderts turns around to defend himself (don't forget, Deedy assaulted Elderts with a kick earlier), Deedy pulls out gun and shoots one shot, Elderts struggles with Deedy and they both fall down to the left of the video. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_CDhTH_EgE
on July 30,2013 | 03:46PM
hapaguy wrote:
By the way, the total conflict as I detailed occurred in under 35 seconds!
on July 30,2013 | 03:47PM
allie wrote:
The H word is neutral and means foreigner when used properly. Truth is, we are all foreigners here as none of us originated here at all. Including Hawaiians. In Waikiki last Monday a "local" man who was white screamed at an Afro-American tourist that he was H. And so it goes in the Nei...
on July 30,2013 | 11:01AM
Peacenik wrote:
Agree H word is neutral, so is popolo, japanee, kanaka, podagee. But addressing a complete stranger as such could be asking for trouble.
on July 30,2013 | 03:03PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Please study up on the 1930's connotation of the H word and how it became derogatory after that decade. You are referencing the pre-1932 connotation.
on July 30,2013 | 06:24PM
tutulady wrote:
BTW What happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"?
on July 30,2013 | 01:40PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Haven't seen hapaguy on yet. That tells me he's at the trial.probably get some update before the 5 o'clock spin.
on July 30,2013 | 02:28PM
hapaguy wrote:
Lots of false information being spread around on here by the Deedy supporters. The first two CRIMES that were committed were committed by Deedy. First crime that Deedy committed: Terroristic Threatening, which is a Class C Felony in Hawaii. He threatened to "shoot Elderts in the face". Second crime Deedy committed: Assault in the 3rd Degree which is a misdemeanor (maybe even a petty misdemeanor). He physically assaulted Elderts first. At 27m17sec of the video you can see Deedy assault Elderts first. Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_CDhTH_EgE. You can't claim self defense if you strike first. And another thing: A general principal of self defense states that you are generally allowed to defend yourself using a reasonable amount of force and using no more degree of force than was used against you. So if this is a fist fight, you can't reply with deadly force (knife or a gun). So you Deedy supporters can't claim self defense in the shooting on those grounds either....
on July 30,2013 | 03:00PM
Peacenik wrote:
At about 25 minutes into tape shows Elderts and Medeiros continuously bothering Perrine. After Perrine takes his seat, Eldert and Medeidors starts saying something to him, in which the lady guard seem to tell them to back off. That's when Deedy gets involved. Because the time lapse, I didn't even see Deedy kick Eldert, but saw Elderts strike Deedy and throw him to the left of the screen. With such great time lapse, seems people were appearing and disappearing from the scene ike ninja. The conversation Eld had with Perrine seem so on-going and long. If anything, I think Perrine living here is actually to afraid to say what really took place. He's like a white man in Indian territory. Medeiros seem more than eager to pick a fight with Perrine. Agent Deedy was in his right and duty to intervene.
on July 30,2013 | 03:46PM
hapaguy wrote:
The kick was at 27m19sec of the video. Pause it at that time and you will see. Also, no one disputes that Deedy kicked Elderts first. Not even the defense. As others have stated before, once Elderts took his seat over by the ATM and Perrine was seated on the other side of the door, everything was defused. Deedy needlessly interjected himself in to something that was already over. Like I said, DEEDY COMMITTED THE FIRST CRIMES THAT EVENING.
on July 30,2013 | 09:28PM
Peacenik wrote:
Didn't you see Medeiros and Eldert still haranguing Perrine after Perrine just sat down and minded his own business? Perrine was sitting side saddle looking straight ahead and E& M crossed his line of vision and Medeidos starting with his profanity heading to where P was seated. The guard walked towards M to stop him. That's when Deedy who was patiently sitting minding his own business decided enough was enough. E&M spent a whole lot of time at the counter haranguing the girls and later P who just wanted to order and eat. If I go into a Fast food, I wouldn't want to be harass by a bunch drugged out thugs. Deedy needed to get the message to them loud and clear he had a gun so they should stop. They chose to challenge him hoping they would beat him to the draw in which they almost succeeded. If anything the Elderts should be suing the Medeiros family who caused with his big body attitude.
on July 30,2013 | 10:16PM
hapaguy wrote:
Let's just say for the sake of argument that I agree with all your comments above. That still does not change the fact that Deedy committed the first crimes that morning.....
on July 30,2013 | 10:30PM
Peacenik wrote:
Well, glad you agreed to that much. With the yelling and chaos that ensued, one can't act according to protocol sometimes. Things don't go according to classroom lessons.
on July 30,2013 | 11:19PM
Peacenik wrote:
My other comment giving examples of other racial pet names got flagged, but H word is neutral, but if used to address a stranger as such could be construed as looking for trouble. Perrine said that was the only thing he remembers, so it must have been used.
on July 30,2013 | 03:08PM
aomohoa wrote:
You are so right. I try to always be respectful and friendly to people I meet:)
on July 30,2013 | 03:25PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates