Monday, April 21, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 42 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

UH athletic director's email blast makes appeal for donations

By Ferd Lewis

LAST UPDATED: 08:43 p.m. HST, Oct 10, 2013

Saying, "we have a proud history but our future is in doubt (due to constant changes in the college athletics landscape)," University of Hawaii athletic director Ben Jay sent an email blast to 85,000 UH sports supporters this morning appealing for their financial support.

The email is tied to Jay's "Game Plan" fundraising initiative to make UH a "Top 50 program."

"Of course, this takes money and an unwavering sense of commitment by all UH stakeholders, including the fans, university, legislators, and corporate community," Jay said in the email.

Last month Jay met with more than 70 key stakeholders at a downtown luncheon to make a fundraising presentation that he said was "well received."

Today's email notes, "While we will be speaking with many individuals and groups about major donations, every little bit helps and you can do your part by clicking on the donation link ... and giving what you can online.

"All funds generated will be used to enhance our student-athlete services, which will help ensure athletic and academic success," Jay wrote.

UH-Manoa Chancellor Tom Apple recently "forgave" a $13 million net deficit built up over the past decade.

The department forecast a $250,000 deficit for the current fiscal year, but that was prior to the football team's 0-5 start.

To donate, visit this link.

COMMENTS

HonoluluHawaii wrote:
When ur coffers start filling up Ben, please spend wisely and do not splurge.
on October 10,2013 | 10:13AM
hanamauka wrote:
To Hon. Advertiser: How about publishing the link to the donation page. Thank you.
on October 10,2013 | 10:56AM
taduyenishi wrote:
Amen
on October 10,2013 | 11:33AM
1local wrote:
how about everyone paying $1 for every win the UH 'rainbow' football team.
on October 10,2013 | 04:16PM
PokeStop wrote:
Have Ben Jay hold his fish net at the corner of Nimitz and Alakawa St. on the weekends! Non-profit groups (Hula Halaus, sport teams) are always soliciting the drivers for donations! Bring Norm down so we can talk story, "How to Chase Championships!"
on October 10,2013 | 01:45PM
frontman wrote:
Donate to a loser system, NOT
on October 10,2013 | 08:16PM
gsc wrote:
UH Athletic's is pricing themselves out of te Hawaii Market.
on October 10,2013 | 10:25AM
jkjones wrote:
will this money be used to pay for coaches who were hired and are not currently coaching? I want to contribute what I can to support the program but like many fans who fill the pinch in tough times, I do not want my money wasted on poor judgment.
on October 10,2013 | 10:31AM
PCWarrior wrote:
Take back the $100,000 you blew on Price, then take back the million you blew on buying out McMackin, then take back the million you blew investigating the Wonder Blunder, and you be fine. I ain't giving you no more money. Go DII if you have to but how sad UH is, blowing money left and right then begging online for money like a beggar in the streets.
on October 10,2013 | 10:56AM
busterb wrote:
Then Iolani will have to go D3... oh wait! My bad.
on October 10,2013 | 11:25AM
jussayin wrote:
Fully agree. UH including the athletic department has shown they're very poor managers of money. And now they're asking for donations? They have to fix their house first.
on October 10,2013 | 11:28AM
Descartes22 wrote:
Add to your list Pay to Play Jay's squandering of bucks to play in Riley's website tournament, so that Vander could enjoy another game.
on October 10,2013 | 01:12PM
Wazdat wrote:
OK all you RICH guys and gals, bust out your checkbooks.
on October 10,2013 | 10:44AM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
This year our family bought our season tickets for UH football as we have done since Larry Price was the head coach. We kicked in an extra $100. We are not rich, but its our contribution. Right now I don't know if I want to give again because I just don't like the way the athletic department takes care of business.
on October 10,2013 | 11:06AM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
Commendations on your generosity, CheeseBall. But you are correct. At this point, it needs to be deeds, not words, before you get any more of my money. We'd love a winning team, but at this point I think we would also settle for competency in leadership positions.
on October 10,2013 | 02:19PM
frontman wrote:
Donate to a loser system, NOT
on October 10,2013 | 08:16PM
magnod wrote:
Here's an idea. Stop hiring crappy coaches then buying them out. Push hard to reduce the UH sponsored travel expenses. Tell Chow to get a real OC so that the team can win a game.
on October 10,2013 | 10:46AM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
Here's the reality behind your comment: Hawaii is now a stopping point for a coach on his way up, or on his way out. If a coach sees any sort of success here, another school with a bigger budget will take him (see: June Jones). Alternately, if I coach is nearing the twilight of his career, and wants to wind things up in an area where he and his family can be comfortable, he comes here (see: McMackin, Chow). UH will not have another career coach. People can pine all they want for someone who wants to be here because he understands the culture and the people. But you got that, he's 0-5 and we're all calling for his head. We can't have it both ways...not with the amount UH can realistically pay a coach.

As for the subsidized travel expense, every school does it. It's part of the business, and if you reduce it, you're also going to reduce the quality of your opponent because those schools will just stop coming. Get used to seeing Lamar on a yearly basis.

on October 10,2013 | 02:27PM
CriticalReader wrote:
WHAT???!?!?!? No lunch? If you didn't get lunch with the pitch, you're not a "stakeholder". Way to kick off a fundraising campaign by insulting all but 120 of your potential marks.
on October 10,2013 | 10:49AM
CriticalReader wrote:
Ooops, sorry. I guess it was only 70 who took advantage of the lunch. Weren't 120 invited?
on October 10,2013 | 10:50AM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Its just my sense that this guy is sincere but not understanding where the support base is. We all want to support UH, but frankly I don't trust them. I head Mr. Jay say the athletic department has moved past Stevie Wonder, and they indeed may have done so, but I haven't. I also haven't moved past the fact that we learned during the State senate hearings that various legislators where trying to influence the athletic department on the hiring of a coach, and I certainly don't appreciate the fact that the money I coughed up this year is being used to pay the salary of an offensive coordinator who is no longer coaching the team. I just wish I had more confidence in the athletic department but I really don't. Mr. Jay seems like a smart guy, but he has yet to make the case that they can be entrusted with my money, and how in fact he is going to take care of the future of UH athletics.
on October 10,2013 | 11:04AM
ckim wrote:
on October 10,2013 | 11:36AM
rich22 wrote:
I will make a contribution to UH Athletics. I realize I'm in the minority here, but as much as I've enjoyed UH football over the years, I believe it's time to terminate the football program. It's way too expensive for us to participate considering all the valid reasons most Hawaii residents are already aware of. Let's trim the athletic budget down to a reasonable level and fully support our other great programs...volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, track, swimming, tennis, etc...where we can cost effectively complete on a national level.
on October 10,2013 | 11:31AM
jkjones wrote:
Men's basketball, baseball and VB are has been programs...same problem again with leadership at the top--they keep making poor decisions or don't act when they (UHAD) need to. JMO. For some reason, the wahine programs are off the ground and competing well nationally--VB, softball and water polo in particular. Wahine BB is in good hands now and hopefully, the soccer program will continue to improve. Improvement starts at the top. Thus far, Mr Jay is all talk and no action. He did nothing to correct a dismal baseball season and I suspect there will be no change at the helm in football. if he wants to fans to make a commitment to excellence, Mr Jay must lead by example. In this case, he must acquire the horse before he seeks funding for the buggy.
on October 10,2013 | 12:30PM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
As bad as the football team is, you cannot terminate it. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the dept. needs that money. No other sport (with the exception of basketball and volleyball, maybe) is close to being profitable. Once there is no football team, the department budget shrinks significantly. You now have a budget that is 40-50% of what it once was, but you've only gotten rid of one team. If the department is ever going to be consistently profitable, it'll be because of football.
on October 10,2013 | 02:36PM
false wrote:
As long as its donation money, I have no worries. The minute Hawaii taxpayers start funding for more UH football, then I get concerned because Div 1 football is a bottomless black hole for UH. Should either drop football entirely or play in Div 2. I think a statewide poll should be taken to see where the general public stands on athletics and education. Could be uplifting.
on October 10,2013 | 11:33AM
paloloboyz wrote:
I like his enthusiasm, but doesn't Hawaii have one of the highest cost of living. Also, Hawaii has one of the largest military employment that just went thru a shutdown. Where do we get the spare change? I hope all the sponsors on the backdrop behind him dropped a cool quarter million. That would settle this years deficit. Just a thought.
on October 10,2013 | 11:45AM
frontman wrote:
Donate to a loser system, NOT
on October 10,2013 | 08:16PM
Bothrops wrote:
How do you forgive $ 13 million? And can I do it? Did this come out of tuition?
on October 10,2013 | 11:45AM
boshio wrote:
Can, with creative accounting.
on October 10,2013 | 01:20PM
culi wrote:
Explain the 500,000 dollars they saved by getting rid of Mcmackin and hiring Norm Chow. The raise they gave Gib Arnold for poor showing in the Big West. Dave Shoji, no bonus for all years he put into the program.
on October 10,2013 | 12:23PM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
You assume the three sports are on equal footing, from a revenue-generating perspective. The first two are paid on potential, the third is paid on performance.
on October 10,2013 | 02:40PM
alfhawaii wrote:
BJ how about winning some football games so that the community can feel good about the AD and UH.
on October 10,2013 | 01:00PM
HAWAII_BOY_008 wrote:
Any rich UH alumini/athletes that want to step forward and kokua their time and money?
on October 10,2013 | 01:06PM
Descartes22 wrote:
I had to go retrieve "The Game Plan" from trash because it seemed just like another run of the mill, cheesy UH athletics email, so it was summarily discarded. In now reading Buckeye Ben's beg-mail, he states: "All funds generated will be used to enhance our student-athlete services." What exactly does that nonsense mean? If it means that contributions will be dedicated to paying off a certain social security recipient head coach, then I imagine the bucks would roll in.
on October 10,2013 | 01:24PM
Been a season ticket holder (4 tickets) for 29 years now. In the past, UH would host the Koa Anuenue members for a party before the UH kickoff at Aloha Stadium. Dang, we don't even get that now and Ben is asking for more donations! We already pay that football premium for each seat! UH needs to improve their product before asking for more donations. It starts with a qualified head coach and his staff. "Hey Ben, you can sell my 4 seats next year, I'd rather go watch high school football next year!"
on October 10,2013 | 01:35PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Man I am beginning to feel the same way. We've had our seats since 1975. I don't know about you but I can get a sense of where the Norm Chow experiment will end and I don't know if I want to be around for another rebuilding try. Seems to me a solid OIA/ILH game would be a better bet for me. Ben announced the Ohio State game with such fanfare; all I kept thinking was we are now the new Lamar or South Alabama.
on October 10,2013 | 02:50PM
Warrior32 wrote:
Bring Back Jim Donovon!!!!
on October 10,2013 | 04:09PM
bnc_connection wrote:
Time to put your money where your mouth is Mr. Jay. Announce a contribution of $2,000 towards your fundraising effort. It's less than 1% of your annual salary. Lead by example, and maybe I'll follow. As an alumnus, I used to contribute to U.H., but I really got tired of the continuous phone calls from fundraisers for the school. I asked to be put on the 'do not phone list' because the phone calls were too numerous and too 'guilt provoking'.
on October 10,2013 | 04:36PM
busthalfnut wrote:
Boy oh boy oh boy ... cott. Jay should hook up with Evan Dumbelle.
on October 10,2013 | 08:09PM
frontman wrote:
Who wants to donate to a team playing like crap. Not me.
on October 10,2013 | 08:16PM