Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 8 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Chepkwony, Kiros win Honolulu Marathon

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 01:17 a.m. HST, Dec 09, 2013

Gilbert Chepkwony of Kenya won the Honolulu Marathon Sunday in a non-record time of 2 hours, 18 minutes, 47 seconds.

Chepkwony out dueled two-time winner Nicholas Chelimo, also of Kenya, down the stretch. Chelimo crossed the line in 2:19:38.

Saeki Makino of Japan held a sizable lead most of the way, but faded after 22 miles and was overtaken by a pack of elite professional runners including Chepwoni and Chelimo. Makino fell back and finished 16th.

Ehitu Kiros of Ethiopia won the women's race in 2:36:02, out kicking countrywoman Woynishet Girma who finished eight seconds later.

Defending champion Valentina Galimova was third in 2:36:13.

Nathan Carlson was the first local men's finisher in 2:45:39 and Polina Babkina the first local woman in 2:46:40.

A total of 22,599 entrants started the 26.2 mile race, out of 30,568 entries for the 41st annual event.

COMMENTS

serious wrote:
Slow time--humidity, I'd say. I still don't understand why prize money is given out??? It used to be to attract other runners so you could say you ran with Bill Rogers or Frank Shorter or whomever was the running wizard of the time, but I doubt if anyone runs the Honolulu Marathon because--what was his name again from Kenya runs it!!!! Lots of good charities and causes where that money can go.
on December 8,2013 | 08:04AM
RichardCory wrote:
"Slow time," says the armchair marathon commentator. Go run it and tell me that's a slow time.
on December 8,2013 | 08:47AM
serious wrote:
In all due respect, I did a 2:36 when I was 44 and ran the HNL 10 years ago when I was 70. Comments Mr Cory?? Also I was race director for 3 marathons!!!
on December 8,2013 | 10:51AM
kiragirl wrote:
Awesome. I somewhat agree with the purse size. If was smaller than entry fee could be less which could attract more participants? 2:36? Wow!
on December 8,2013 | 11:37AM
serious wrote:
kiragirl, running a marathon is easy. It's the training that kills you. Yes, I directed and sponsored numerous 10K's and 5K's for charity and I stand that there should be no $$ for the winners of any marathon. Nike and the other shoe companies pay these guys to run. Tiger gets $100 million for his sponsoring. Ain't right!! Let the little people or the middle class that Barry talks about have a try. You know the ones he says all get tax credits when they don't pay taxes--figure it out--the world is not round!!
on December 8,2013 | 01:42PM
RichardCory wrote:
Well, I was the Administrator of NASA from 1986 to 1989, and I have been in space. Oh, what now?
on December 8,2013 | 05:21PM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
Anyone know the wheelchair winner and time? SA?
on December 8,2013 | 09:23AM