Quantcast

Wednesday, December 17, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Red Sox put Victorino on disabled list

By David Ginsburg

AP Sports Writer

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 01:02 p.m. HST, Mar 31, 2014


BALTIMORE >> The Boston Red Sox put right fielder Shane Victorino on the 15-day disabled list Monday because of a strained right hamstring, making the move before the World Series champions opened the season at Baltimore.

Jackie Bradley Jr. was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket and Daniel Nava started in right field against the Orioles.

Manager John Farrell said Victorino has a Grade 1 strain.

"It's going to require some time down," Farrell said. "Whether that is 15 days or beyond, remains to be seen."

"As we tapped into our depth last year many times over, unfortunately we're doing it on Day One," he said.

Victorino was hurt while running the bases Saturday in Boston's final exhibition game. The move is retroactive to Sunday, the day an MRI revealed the strain.

The 33-year-old Victorino won a Gold Glove last season and hit .294 with 15 home runs, 61 RBIs and 21 stolen bases. He also got the big hit that helped Boston break open the clinching Game 6 of the World Series against St. Louis.

"He's done such a great job for us," Farrell said. "You're talking about a Gold Glove guy at the top of the order."

Victorino has had trouble with injuries. He was on the disabled list last year with a strained left hamstring and played only 10 games in spring training following right thumb surgery in December.

Bradley hit .189 in 37 games last season.

"With Vic out of the lineup we're going to see a little bit of a rotation with all five of those outfielders," Farrell said. "That's kind of where we are."






 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(0)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions


IN OTHER NEWS