Quantcast

Friday, July 25, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 6 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Nearly half of UH athletic programs exceed national average graduation rate

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 03:23 p.m. HST, Jun 11, 2013



Eight of 18 University of Hawaii sports programs exceeded the overall national average for the NCAA's Academic Performance Rate, it was announced today by UH and the NCAA.

The APR is a device to measure eligibility, graduation and retention of scholarship athletes.

The four-year rolling average this year was 974 according to the NCAA.

Men's swimming (977), women's cross country (986), softball, (980), soccer (978), women's swimming (995), women's tennis (976), women's indoor (982) and outdoor (982) track surpassed the national average.

In addition, eight of 18 programs topped the nation averages for their individual sports, UH said.

They were: baseball, football, men's swimming and diving, women's cross country, softball, women's swimming and diving, women's indoor and outdoor track and field.

"I think we are going in the right direction," athletic director Ben Jay said. "Our scores reflect the attitude and commitment of our student-athletes toward academics and graduation."

Two UH teams, men's golf and men's tennis, had perfect scores of 1,000 for the 2011-'12 academic year, the most recently measured period.

Men's basketball had a four-year APR of 951 and was at 885 for 2011-'12.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 6 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(6)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Descartes22 wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on June 11,2013 | 10:26AM
littleyoboboy wrote:
had to laugh,,,thought i was the only one to see it. sad when we have to celebrate mediocrity !!
on June 11,2013 | 10:35AM
Bdpapa wrote:
Saw that too! Go Raibow Warriors, to the library and study!
on June 11,2013 | 01:18PM
Rok888 wrote:
That's not true, Descartes22...if 8 was above average...then 10 could be just average. This article doesn't break down all the figures, so your conclusion carries not value. Obviously, you must have flunked math and logic. Also, when looking at statistics, its important to look at the trends...has the programs improved from the previous years? Average may also mean "satisfactory" because that means the teams are meeting NCAA standards...
on June 12,2013 | 12:17PM
fbiguy wrote:
I laughed my head off after reading the headline. More accurate headline: "UH athletic program fails to meet average graduation rates." Then another laugher, Ben Jay said. "Our scores reflect the attitude and commitment of our student-athletes toward academics and graduation." Enough said.
on June 11,2013 | 11:35AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
It's true that half of all UH students are below average.
on June 11,2013 | 11:40AM
Muraoka wrote:
Once again, the numbers point out that the Giblet is not even AVERAGE.
on June 11,2013 | 01:16PM
bumbye wrote:
Where's women's volleyball? I heard Shoji doesn't really care.
on June 12,2013 | 01:52AM
Rok888 wrote:
Did coach Shoji really tell you that he doesn't care? Who told you that? I doubt that he would say that he doesn't care.
on June 12,2013 | 02:06PM
IN OTHER NEWS