comscore Kauai house fire started by candles, officials say | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Kauai house fire started by candles, officials say

Unattended burning candles started a fire that damaged a home in Wailua on Kauai, a county spokeswoman said today.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at Royal Drive at 5:38 p.m. Monday. Neighbors saw flames in the studio apartment on the home’s second floor and immediately alerted the residents, a brother and sister. Fire officials said the fire spread to the ground floor of the house. 

The residents and three dogs escaped unharmed. The fire was brought under control in a half-hour and extinguished at 6:45 p.m. 

Fire officials classified the fire as accidental. Damage to the structure and contents was estimated at $700,000.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up