comscore Morning fire does damage to apartments | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Hawaii News

Morning fire does damage to apartments

  • DENNIS ODA / DODA@STARADVERTISER.COM
    Firefighters battled a two-alarm blaze yesterday morning in an apartment building on Piikoi Street, near McKinley High School. The fire began in a vacant second-floor unit, where the fire was largely confined.
  • DENNIS ODA / DODA@STARADVERTISER.COM
    Tenants, including Teresa Cunningham and her daughters, Althea, 6, and Chloe, 2, were able to escape the structure before fire engines arrived. Next to them is Rodney Sasaki, owner of the building. A fireman shot foam onto the roof of the apartments.
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

Eight people were displaced from their homes when fire damaged a five-unit apartment building near McKinley High School yesterday.

No one was injured in the two-alarm fire, reported at 7:05 a.m. When the five engine and two ladder companies arrived at 910 Piikoi St., all the tenants were out of the two-story structure, said Capt. Terry Seelig, Fire Department spokesman.

The fire began in a vacant second-floor apartment; it was not immediately determined what started it. The fire was largely confined to that unit, but others suffered fire or water damage.

Teresa Cunningham, who lives with three family members in a ground-floor apartment, was asleep when the fire broke out.

She said she was awakened when her 6-year-old daughter, Althea, called out, "Mommy … fire."

"I was shivering because I was scared," Althea said.

Teresa Cunningham said she went looking for her husband, Allen, but he had left the apartment for an early-morning walk.

"I heard popping sounds, like popcorn," said Teresa Cunningham, who has lived at the Piikoi Street home for seven years.

Firefighters had the fire under control by 7:24 a.m.

Rodney Sasaki, owner of the two-story hollow-tile and wood building, said the unit where the fire began has been vacant since the beginning of the month.

Seelig said the fire heavily damaged the vacant second-floor unit, and there was limited fire damage to the adjacent apartment, where one man lived and was taking a shower when the fire started.

The three apartments on the ground floor suffered water damage where seven people lived.

Damage to the building and its contents was set at $130,000.

The Red Cross was called to help the tenants find temporary shelter.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up