comscore Blaze at Marco Polo causes $225,000 in damage | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Blaze at Marco Polo causes $225,000 in damage


Firefighters quickly put out a fire on the 23rd floor of the Marco Polo condominium  on Kapiolani Boulevard yesterday afternoon.

There were no injuries in the blaze, which erupted around 5:28 p.m. in apartment 2311, but damage was estimated at $225,000, said fire Capt. Terry Seelig.

Seeling said one man was home at the time and reported that the fire started in the kitchen.

"He got out and closed the door behind him, which was a good thing, because it kept the fire confined in the unit," said Seelig.

The blaze blew out the lanai window, but firefighters arrived in time to keep it from spreading to other floors, Seelig said.

One unit below had some water damage, he said.

The fire was extinguished at 5:46 p.m., Seelig said.

Four adults and one child lived in the apartment, and were offered help from the Red Cross, but said they could stay with relatives, according to Seelig.

Seelig noted that the Marco Polo was built before high-rise residential condominiums were required to have sprinklers. There is no requirement for residential high-rises to retrofit with sprinklers as are hotels and other commercial properties.

"Had there been a sprinkler, there wouldn’t be this much damage," Seelig said. "One day we’d like to see an ordinance for retrofitting residential high-rises."



Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up