comscore Child playing with lighter cited in fire last week in Moiliili | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Child playing with lighter cited in fire last week in Moiliili

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A fire at a two-story Moiliili apartment that left 14 people homeless on the morning of Dec. 22 was started accidentally by a young boy playing with a lighter in a bedroom, a Honolulu Fire Department investigator has determined.

The father, who as asleep in the living room when the fire began, was injured when he woke up and rescued his son. He is recovering in the hospital.

The fire caused about $250,000 in damage to the Makahiki Way building, and about $20,000 to the contents, said Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up