comscore For couple killed by Somali pirates, a hard, dark reality always loomed | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

For couple killed by Somali pirates, a hard, dark reality always loomed

  • AP
    In this June 11
  • Phyllis Macay and Bob Riggle are seen on a yacht in Bodega Bay
  • 2005 file photo provided by Joe Grande

LOS ANGELES » Jean and Scott Adam traipsed the globe the way Georges Seurat painted an afternoon at the park — point by point or, in their case, port by port.

Aboard their 58-foot yacht, the couple sailed for months at a time, patching together an enviable life of exotic sights and bluewater adventure, imbued with devout faith. For every busted alternator or arduous dive to wipe muck from the propeller, there was a breathless report to friends from another remote locale — Kota Kinabalu, Micronesian archipelagos. They were determined to explore Fiji, they wrote, "like petals on a flower."

But beneath that veneer of whim and wonder, a hard and dark reality loomed. The couple was on year seven of an off-and-on, round-the-world trip, and at some point, that would mean crossing through the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden — a shipping route known as "Pirates Alley."

On Tuesday, in a chaotic storm of grenades, gunfire and hand-to-hand combat, the couple was killed aboard their beloved sloop, Quest, by Somali pirates, according to the U.S. military. He was 70; she was 66.

Such a jarring end to what had seemed a charmed life devastated scores of people across Southern California, in the array of communities they touched — at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, where Scott Adam was a longtime student; in the television industry, where he had worked in production and direction; among patients Jean Adam had treated as a dentist; and in Los Angeles’ Marina del Rey section, where the couple hosted deck-top dinners and holiday parties with Christmas lights wound through the rigging of their yacht.

At St. Monica Catholic Church in Santa Monica, where the Adams were members and where they were married in the late 1990s, Msgr. Lloyd Torgerson said he could only take solace in the notion that "they died doing what they wanted to do."

"They found so much joy in doing it," he said.

Friends from Seattle, Phyllis Macay, 59, and Robert Riggle, 67, were also killed, as were four of the pirates. At least 13 pirates were taken into U.S. custody and are expected to face prosecution.

Accounts of the killings varied Tuesday, and could take some time to sort out.

The Adams were headed toward the Red Sea and then the Greek islands on Friday when, according to U.S. military officials, pirates boarded Quest off the coast of Oman.

Almost immediately, U.S. naval vessels began shadowing the yacht, negotiating for the Americans’ release as the vessels made their way south toward Somalia, said Lt. Col. Mike Lawhorn, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command, part of an international coalition of anti-piracy operations in the Indian Ocean.

There were signs of dissent among the pirates. On Monday, two of them abandoned the yacht and came aboard the USS Sterett, a guided missile destroyer.

Then, on Tuesday morning, the pirates fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the Sterret, which missed, according to the U.S. military. As some pirates came on deck with hands raised, as if trying to surrender, a team of 15 Navy SEALs boarded the yacht amid small-arms fire. President Barack Obama had authorized the use of force if the military determined that the hostages’ lives were in imminent danger, the White House said.

"The intent always had been that this would be a negotiated process and not ever go into a point where we actually had gunfire," said Vice Admiral Mark Fox, commander of U.S. naval forces in the region.

When the U.S. forces boarded the yacht, they found two of the pirates already dead; military forces killed two others, one with a gun and one with a knife. All four hostages had already been shot. Some were still alive and were given medical treatment, but all died, U.S. officials said. Their bodies were taken aboard the U.S. aircraft carrier USS Enterprise and were expected to be transported to the United States.

The pirates offered a different account. Liban Muse, a member of the pirate group involved in the incident, told the Los Angeles Times in a telephone interview from the Somali coast that the U.S. military fired first.

"We had no intention of killing the hostages until the Americans began shooting at us," Muse said. "Our preference is only to take ships and ransom money, not to kill. But governments are targeting and killing our people."

Lawhorn dismissed those claims.

Piracy has exploded in the Gulf of Aden in the last decade, impeding goods delivery in a vital shipping corridor and driving up costs. Over the last four years, a coalition of two dozen governments has pieced together a robust military response, with mixed results.

Many areas of the Gulf have indeed become safer. But pirates — driven largely by ransoms, but also by a sense of nationalism and protectionism — have responded by expanding their operations into once-safe pockets of the Indian Ocean. Some have also responded with increased sophistication, improving communication and buying larger vessels that serve as "mother ships," floating headquarters of sorts.

"It has essentially led to an escalation of piracy," said Adam Domanski, a legal specialist at Muse Professional Group, a company that provides escorts and on-board security in the Indian Ocean, almost entirely to cargo outfits.

The pirates have also developed a more acute understanding of the region’s sailing patterns — including the fact that to avoid monsoons and other dangerous conditions, pleasure-boat "cruisers" like the Adams must navigate the area in the early months of the year.

Still, few hostage incidents end in death, prompting speculation that something went wrong either because the pirates turned on each other or the Americans attempted to escape or fight their way to freedom. A U.S. military official, however, said there was no indication that the hostages had attempted to overpower the pirates.

The Adams were well aware of the piracy. Scott Adam had considered shipping their boat atop a cargo vessel to avoid the dangers, a friend said. And in January, the day before she flew to Thailand, to rejoin her husband on their voyage, Jean Adam discussed piracy with an old friend over lunch at Lilly’s bistro in the Venice section of Los Angeles.

"I said: ‘Aren’t you worried?’ " said Marilyn Blacker, who worked as a dental hygienist in Jean Adam’s Santa Monica office for years. "She was very matter-of-fact. She said they were going with this rally, that they’ve done this before."

Blacker and several other friends said they were mystified as to why the Adams would have splintered off from the convoy, known as Blue Water Rallies, on Feb. 15. "It’s just beyond me," Blacker said. "That was their safety net."

Scott Adam grew up in Chicago and worked for 30 years in episodic television and films, then left it behind in 1996 after undergoing a "mystical experience where God was calling him to ministry," said Richard Peace, a professor at Fuller Theological Seminary and a close friend of the Adams.

Adam earned two master’s degrees at Fuller and was pursuing a doctorate. He was a mainstay at Fuller — and, since he was decades older than many of his classmates, a well-known character on campus.

In the late 1990s, he was introduced by a mutual friend to Jean Adam, then named Jean Savage. They were married soon after; both had children from a previous marriage.

The only woman in her dental class at the University of California-Los Angeles, according to one friend, Jean had been a successful and popular dentist, operating in the years prior to her retirement from an office in Santa Monica. Jean Adam’s love of the open water was complicated compared with her husband. While he had grown up around boats and seemed to understand their finer points intuitively, she initially suffered from severe sea sickness, friends said.

But not only did she persevere, friends said, she recently earned a captain’s license of her own. After a point, she began to tell friends that she craved the rocking of a boat beneath her feet; she eventually sold her house, and when they were back at Marina del Rey, they typically lived on the boat.

Eventually, their missionary work became intertwined with their love of sailing, Peace said; they began traveling the world with armloads of Bibles.

They had Quest custom-built for them in New Zealand and sailed her home in 2002. The yacht had surpassed 50,000 nautical miles, they noted on one blog entry — to a dizzying number of ports, including China, Mexico, Alaska, the Galapagos, Samoa and Tonga.

Torgerson, of St. Monica church, offered two Masses in their names Tuesday.

"They wanted to spend time … making loving disciples," Torgerson said. "They felt they could bring the Scriptures to all parts of this far-flung world."

Torgerson paraphrased a passage from Revelation 2:10: "If we are faithful, we will win the crown." The Adams, he said, "won the crown. They’re at peace."

Tribune Washington Bureau staff writer Cloud reported from Washington; Los Angeles Times staff writers Groves and Gold reported from Los Angeles. Times staff writers Tony Perry in San Diego, Tony Barboza, Esmeralda Bermudez, Nate Jackson and Corina Knoll in Los Angeles, Edmund Sanders in Jerusalem and correspondent Lutfi Sheriff Mohammed in Mogadishu, Somalia, contributed to this report.


Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up