The search for a diver missing off the Waialae-Kahala coast since Aug. 28 was concluded about 4 p.m. today by Honolulu fire and rescue personnel after they failed to find any new clues into the whereabouts of the 28-year-old visitor from New York.
Firefighters were able to locate a dive regulator, believed to have been used by Matthew Curley, about 50 to 100 feet north northwest of the sunken wreck he had been exploring, said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig.
Curley went missing during a group scuba dive with Island Divers half a mile from shore on Aug. 28. The search, conducted in high surf from a south swell, was suspended after four days.
At the request of Honolulu police, firefighters combed a large area of water today after Island Divers located a dive mask, wetsuit and other equipment that apparently had been rented to Curley, at the same spot firefighters later located the dive regulator, Seelig said.
Fire personnel also searched the area with a helicopter and along the shoreline without success.
“They found no evidence of Mr. Curley or his remains,” he said.
The search won’t resume unless new leads are found, Seelig said.