Police opened an arson investigation after firefighters found several gas cans at the scene of an early morning restaurant fire at the Windward City Shopping Center.
The sprinkler system at the Joyful Garden Chinese Seafood restaurant extinguished the flames, said Capt. James Todd, a Honolulu Fire Department spokesman.
Firefighters got the call at 1:20 a.m. today, but the restaurant’s nearly two dozen sprinkler heads had doused the fire by the time firefighters arrived, he said.
Todd said there was a strong smell of gasoline inside the restaurant, located at 45-480 Kaneohe Bay Drive.
Damage is estimated at $20,000 to the contents and $20,000 to the building.