comscore Police capture fugitive who tried again to escape | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Police capture fugitive who tried again to escape

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

  • Kenneth Wong

Police arrested a 34-year-old man who tried, unsuccessfully this time, to get away from authorities four times this month.

In a CrimeStoppers Bulletin last week,  police said Kenneth Wong  jumped from a three-story building in Makiki on March 6 while trying to evade police and then fled from the Queen’s Medical Center, while being treated for his injuries. He earlier ran and drove away from police trying to arrest him for allegedly driving a stolen vehicle.

On Friday morning, police found Wong sitting in his girlfriend’s recently-purchased vehicle at her Punaluu home. When an officer told him to get out, Wong climbed into the driver’s seat and drove off, nearly hitting the officer, police said. Wong drove to the other end of the property, but another vehicle blocked the exit. 

A second officer approached Wong from the driver’s side and was almost hit as he drove the vehicle backwards, police said. The vehicle ended up in a ditch and officers arrested Wong after a brief scuffle.

Officers arrested Wong at 9:10 a.m. at 53-224 Kamehameha Highway for investigation of two counts of first-degree attempted murder, resisting arrest and an outstanding arrest warrant.His 28-year-old girlfriend was also arrested for hindering prosecution and an earlier arrest warrant.

Wong was wanted for auto theft, fleeing the scene of an accident, drug charges, and resisting arrest for a series of events on March 3 and March 6.

According to police, officers tried to stop Wong, who was driving a stolen van on March 3. Police said Wong ran a red light at the intersection of Lunalilo Street and Ward Avenue, and collided with a Ford pickup. The impact sent the truck into an oncoming Honda SUV. A woman riding in the Honda was taken to the hospital in good condition.

Wong fled on foot, police said.

Three days later, Wong’s sister reported her brother was trying to get into her apartment. When officers arrived, Wong ran and tried jumping from rooftop to rooftop, police said. Two officers were injured while trying to stop Wong. 

Wong was hurt when he jumped from a three-story walk-up. He was found nearby and hospitalized at the Queen’s Medical Center for his injuries. The next day, he fled from the hospital with medical equipment still attached to his arm, police said.


Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up