comscore NH police chief, days from retirement, shot dead | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

NH police chief, days from retirement, shot dead

    State and local police worked a road block on Post Road in Greenland, N.H. Thursday night April 12, 2012 after Greenland Police Chief Mike Maloney was killed as well as other officers shot at a home on Post Road. The police had gone to the home to make a drug arrest when the shootings happened.
    Heavily armed police gather before boarding an armored truck in Greenland, N.H. Thursday April 12, 2012, to go to the site where a man is barricaded in a house after he shot and killed Greenland Police Chief Michael Maloney and wounded four other officers. Police and SWAT teams created a staging area at Greenland Central School.

GREENLAND, N.H. >> Michael Maloney was only a few days from retirement as chief of a small-town New Hampshire police department. But one final drug bust that would rid a neighborhood of its menace left him dead.

Maloney was trying to serve a search warrant Thursday night when a suspect opened fire, killing the chief and injuring four detectives.

After a standoff, the bodies of the gunman and a female acquaintance were found early Friday in an apparent murder-suicide or double suicide.

The police shootings have devastated Greenland, a coastal town of 3,500 that had just seven officers. Residents are gathering Friday night for a candlelight vigil at the Town Hall.

“In those final days, he sacrificed his life in public service as a law enforcement officer in New Hampshire,” Attorney General Michael Delaney said early Friday.

Maloney had 26 years of experience in law enforcement, the last 12 as chief of the Greenland department. Two officers were shot in the chest and were in intensive care early Friday. Two others were treated and released. The four injured officers were from area departments and were working as part of a drug task force.

Lee Miller, who lives next door to where the shootings took place, said she heard at least six shots. Fearing for her 12-year-old grandson who was visiting her, she said she went to the window and saw someone on the ground. Moments later, police knocked on her door, telling them to run outside and take cover behind a police cruiser.

Police later escorted Miller and her grandson to a nearby school.

Jacqueline DeFreze, who lives a half-mile down the road, said she was crushed by reports that the chief had been shot. She’d planned to attend a surprise party for his retirement.

“I’m a wreck. He was just the greatest guy,” said DeFreze, a fourth-grade teacher in nearby Rye. “He’s kind-hearted, always visible in the community.”

Gov. John Lynch was at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, where the officers were taken. He asked residents to pray for the injured officers and Maloney’s family.

“My thoughts and prayers and those of my wife, Susan, are with the family of Chief Michael Maloney. Chief Maloney’s unwavering courage and commitment to protecting others serves as an example to us all,” he said.

The tree-lined street, closed off by police, features single-family homes and duplexes. The shootings took place at 517 Post Road, a 2-bedroom, 1 1/2-story structure that’s listed as owned by the Beverly Mutrie Revocable Trust, according to tax assessor records.

The Portsmouth Herald reported in February 2011 that Cullen Mutrie, 29, was a resident of the home on 517 Post Road and had been arrested and charged with possession of anabolic steroids.

The newspaper reported that the steroids were found in the home when officers went to confiscate guns after Mutrie was arrested on domestic assault charges. According to a police affidavit, the steroids were found in Mutrie’s living room on July 24, 2010, but were not verified by the state crime lab until Jan. 18.

Miller told The Associated Press that she had complained to police repeatedly about suspected drug activity at the house and had been told it was under investigation.

She said late-night fights at the house were so frequent that she moved her bed around so that it was no longer near a window facing the driveway.

John Penacho, chairman of the town’s Board of Selectman, said Maloney was married with children.

“It’s a blow to all of us. You’re stunned. It’s New Hampshire, it’s a small town,” he said. “We’re stunned. I mean all of us. It’s an unbelievable situation.”

Asked what the town will do to help residents cope with the tragedy, Penacho said “We’ll do whatever we need to do.”

The other officers shot were: Detective Gregory Turner, 32, a six-year veteran of the Dover police department, who was treated for a gunshot wound to the shoulder and released; Detective Eric Kulberg, 31, a seven-year veteran of the University of New Hampshire police department, who was treated for a gunshot wound to the arm and released; Detective Scott Kukesh, 33, a 10-year veteran of the Newmarket police department, who was in intensive care awaiting surgery for a gunshot wound to the chest; and Detective Jeremiah Murphy, 34, a seven-year veteran of the Rochester police department, who was in intensive care after surgery for a gunshot wound to the chest.


Associated Press Writers Norma Love in Concord and David Sharp in Portland, Maine, contributed to this report.


Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up