comscore Kalakaua reopens; Suspicious package just 'a bunch of junk' | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Hawaii News

Kalakaua reopens; Suspicious package just ‘a bunch of junk’

    A suspicious package was found near Cartier store on Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki today.

  • This image from a city traffic camera on Kalakaua Avenue at Kailulani Avenues shows no vehicles on Kalakaua after police closed the Waikiki street because of a suspicious package. (Courtesy image)
    Traffic on Kalakaua Avenue was extremely heavy this afternoon, after the shut down of Kalakaua Avenue at Lewers Street.

  • Honolulu police block off an area on Kalakaua Avenue and Lewers Street after the discovery of a suspicious package this afternoon. (Courtesy: Diana Chao)

  • This image from a Honolulu traffic camera at Kalakaua and Kuhio avenues shows traffic backed up this afternoon after police closed Kalakaua Avenue at Lewers Street because of a suspcious package. (Courtesy image)

Honolulu police reopened Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki at Lewers Street at about 5:10 p.m. after the HPD bomb squad found nothing inside a “suspicious package” outside the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center.

Although the bomb squad deemed the backpack harmless, officers arrested a 29-year-old man for investigation of second-degree terroristic threatening, a misdemeanor.

A portion of shopping center had been evacuated during the more than two-hour scare, HPD spokeswoman Teresa Bell said.

An unattended backpack was found about 2 p.m. in front of the Cartier store on Kalakaua, police said. Police called the bomb squad and shut down Kalakaua Avenue before 3 p.m., creating a traffic nightmare in Waikiki just as the afternoon rush hour was about to begin.

Police X-rayed the backpack and an explosive specialist in a protective suit from HPD’s Specialized Services Division looked inside and found nothing dangerous.

“Basically a bunch of junk inside,” police Capt. Ryan Borges said. “Circumstances indicated it might have been an explosive device because of the way the person was acting,” he said.

Borges said witnesses said it appeared the bag was left there intentionally. “It wasn’t a mistake, he actually intended to scare people,” he said.

Borges referred to last week’s Boston Marathon bombing and said, “We’re treating everything like it’s real, because we don’t know.”

The road closure created an instant traffic mess as vehicles heading into the ewa-end of Waikiki stopped, backing up traffic throughout the surrounding areas. Motorists were told to avoid Kalakaua from Lewers to Royal Hawaiian Avenue.

The disruption came a day after a bomb threat and “suspicious package” closed down the Circuit Court and other government buildings on Punchbowl and Halekauwila streets for several hours. The package was deemed harmless, but police have opened a first-degree terroristic threatening case in the scare.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up