comscore Police open negligent homicide case in fatal Kona crash | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Police open negligent homicide case in fatal Kona crash

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A 45-year-old Kawaihae man died Wednesday from injuries he received when the car he was passenger in hit the rear of a boom truck on Queen Kaahumanu Highway in Kailua-Kona.

Hawaii County police identified the victim as David Arbon. The driver, a 44-year-old Kailua-Kona woman, was taken to Kona Community Hospital in serious condition.

Both speed and alcohol appear to be factors in the crash, police said. 

Police opened a negligent homicide investigation and an autopsy will be done to determine the cause of death. 

The driver, who was wearing a seat belt, was being treated for serious injuries. The passenger, who was not wearing a seat belt, was pronounced dead at 9:06 p.m. at the hospital.

Police said that a 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser rear-ended a 2002 Chevy C7500 boom truck that was stopped in the outside lane with workers changing burned-out street lamps. A 41-year-old Keaau man who was standing outside the boom truck and a 53-year-old Hilo man, who was inside the raised boom bucket, were not injured. 

The accident occurred at 8:23 p.m. on Queen Kaahumanu Highway about 300 yards north of Palani Road.

Anyone with information about this crash is asked to call officer Thomas Koyanagi at 326-4646, extension 229. 

This is the 17th traffic fatality on Hawaii island this year, compared with 14 at this time last year.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up