FILE - In this Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2012 file photo, English food writer, journalist and broadcaster, Nigella Lawson poses during the 28th MIPCOM (International Film and Programme Market for Tv, Video,Cable and Satellite) in Cannes, southeastern France. British police say they are investigating after a newspaper published photos of Nigella Lawson's husband Charles Saatchi with his hands around the celebrity chef's throat. The Sunday People newspaper ran pictures of what it said was the couple's violent argument at a London restaurant on June 9, 2013. (AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau, File)
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]
LONDON >> Prominent art collector Charles Saatchi says he is divorcing his celebrity chef wife Nigella Lawson because she did not publicly defend his reputation after images emerged of him grasping the throat of his wife in a posh London restaurant.
Tabloid newspapers last month published photos of the incident, which Saatchi described as a “playful tiff.”
The 70-year-old Saatchi was given a police “caution” after admitting assault.
He told Britain’s Mail on Sunday newspaper that he is divorcing Lawson because he has “clearly been a disappointment” to her and because he is disappointed she did not defend him after the incident.
Lawson’s spokesman declined to comment.
Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.