comscore Early morning assault is now a murder investigation | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Early morning assault is now a murder investigation

  • COURTESY HAWAII NEWS NOW
    Honolulu police have opened a murder investigation after a 62-year-old man died following an assault in the McCully area this morning.
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A 62-year-old homeless man has died following an early morning assault in the McCully area and a murder investigation has been opened, a Honolulu Police Department spokeswoman said Friday.

Police are looking for three suspects in the assault that happened at around 3:10 a.m. near the intersection of King and Punahou streets. Paramedics took the man to the hospital in critical condition.

Police said the man, who has no local address, was apparently assaulted by three people following an argument.

Police have not determined a motive for the attack because suspects have not yet been identified.

Earlier this month, 83-year-old Mamerto "Eddie" Semana, who was also homeless, died after he was found unconscious near College Walk and Kukui Street in Chinatown. He was taken to the hospital around 3:30 a.m., Dec. 3, with severe head injuries after he was beaten about four hours earlier, police said.

In October, police arrested a 58-year-old homeless man on suspicion of second-degree murder in the death of another homeless man, 49-year-old Lynn Riley. Riley died of bleeding within the skull due to blunt force injury from an assault at Aala Park.

Anyone with information on the today’s assault is asked to call police or CrimeStoppers at 955-8300, or *CRIME on a cellular phone.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up