Kapiolani Boulevard in both directions from Paani Street to Isenberg Street was reopened at about 12:50 after a fire was brought under control, according to the Honolulu Police Department.
At about 11:35 a.m., a fire occurred on the 35th floor of the Marco Polo Apartments’ building at 2333 Kapiolani Boulevard. Honolulu Fire Spokesman Capt. David Jenkins said the fire was caused by a pressure washer that overheated and exploded while workers were cleaning a trash chute near the stairwell.
Thirty-five firefighters responded to the blaze and had the fire under control by 11:57 a.m. The fire was contained to the hallway area.
A worker was reported injured. Emergency Medical Services evaluated the worker and refused treatment.
Residents who were unable to evacuate when the fire alarm was activated remained in their apartments. Others crawled under the smoke level to access the stairs.
Jenkins said residents woud be able to return to their apartments..
Police reopened the westbound lanes on Kapiolani Boulevard at about 12:45 p.m.