comscore Man shot by police pleads not guilty to assault on officer | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Man shot by police pleads not guilty to assault on officer

  • HONOLULU POLICE DEPARTMENT
    William Andres
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A 20-year-old McCully man entered a plea of not guilty in Circuit Court Monday to charges that he tried to run down a police officer with a stolen car last month in Waimanalo.

William Andres is charged with first-degree assault, assault on law enforcement officer, first-degree terroristic threatening and car theft.

He remains in custody, unable to post $50,000 bail.

At his arraignment Circuit Judge Ron Trader set his trail to begin the week of June 15.

Andres was released March 25 from the Queen’s Medical Center, where he had been hospitalized with a stomach wound after being shot by an officer during a March 10 chase that began in Waimanalo and ended in Kaneohe.

Police said Andres was sitting in a stolen white Honda near Waimanalo District Park. When officers approached, Andres suddenly started up the car and allegedly hit one officer’s leg. That officer fired several shots, striking the driver once, police said.

Andres fled and abandoned the Honda at the intersection of Ualani Place and Kamehameha Highway near Kaneohe Elementary School, after hitting another car. Police caught Andres in the yard of a home at Kuu Home Place.

Andres has four felony convictions, including burglary and car theft, and two misdemeanor convictions for theft and carrying a deadly weapon.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up