RENO, Nevada » Health officials say a California woman has died after being infected with a brain-eating amoeba.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reports that the 21-year-old Bishop woman died June 20 at a Reno hospital. Her name isn’t being released.
The woman apparently was infected by the amoeba, Naegleria fowleri, when water entered her nose while she was swimming or diving in fresh, warm water in Central California.
The woman woke up from a nap on June 16 with symptoms including a headache, nausea and vomiting.
Health officials say the woman was infected on private property that isn’t open to the public and there’s no general risk of infection.
Such infections are extremely rare. There have been seven previous cases reported in California.