Mahalo for supporting Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Enjoy this free story!
STAR-ADVERTISER Henry J. Kaiser sat on a hillside above his then-budding community, Hawaii Kai. When officials balked at running sewer lines to the East Oahu site, Kaiser spent $9.6 million to build a sewage plant for the area.
STAR-ADVERTISER Kaiser’s Portlock estate, built in 1959, occupied a 7.2-acre site on Maunalua Bay. Kaiser died there on Aug. 24, 1967.
STAR-ADVERTISER The Kaiser Ala Moana Medical Center opened in 1958 next to Ala Wai Yacht Harbor. Kaiser felt his health care network, Kaiser Permanente, would be his most lasting legacy.