Traffic investigators today said there was only one vehicle involved in pedestrian death of a homeless man early Friday morning and Lt. Carlene Lau, police traffic spokeswoman, said homeless people after the 1:30 a.m. accident “have been giving a lot of misinformation to both the police and the media.
“After an initial investigation and review of the evidence, there was no second vehicle who ran over the body."
Sean Duyser died of blunt force injuries to his face, head, neck and torso, the medical examiner said, after being struck by one car.
A witness, a homeless woman, told the Star-Advertiser after Duyser was run over just before 1:30 a.m. under the airport viaduct near Kakoi Street, and she tried to warn off a second vehicle as he lay in the road.
The second driver failed to respond to her waving a flashlight in the middle of the road, ran over Duyser’s head and continued driving, the witness said.
However, Lau said the driver of the van involved in the accident remained at the scene. The case has been classified as a traffic fatality and no negligent homicide investigation involving the driver of the van has been initiated.
The crash happened near where an offramp from the H-1 freeway and Nimitz Highway merge with Kamehameha Highway.
It was Oahu’s 41st traffic fatality, compared with 50 at this time last year. No arrests have been made.
The Medical Examiner’s office also has identified the 58-year-old tourist who was pulled out of water Saturday in Waikiki.
A autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death of Virginia Johnson, of Ada, Okla., who was pulled from the waters at Waikiki Beach front Kalakaua and Kapahulu avenues Saturday.